News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

SMSC October 2014: Transport Hubs

Started by An_dz, September 21, 2014, 03:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

After this big gap without SMSC the October edition is live for your submissions. You have up to 29th October to submit your picture, while I don't lock the topic you may send it :D

This month topic is Transport Hubs, and it doesn't matter if it's cargo, pax, mail or any combination of the later.

Rules
  • Only one picture per user
  • Picture max size: 1366x768 px
  • Available picture formats: png or jpg
  • Topic: Transport Hubs
  • You may use any pakset you want, but only one
  • Zoom is allowed
  • Choose one of the available licenses
  • Please indicate if it's from a real game or not
  • Please include a short description and mention the pak you've used
  • Please include a name for your image
  • You can upload the picture to an image hosting service like imgur, imageshack.us or photobucket and then post link to the image here.
  • The nomination period ends at October 29th. Then, we'll make a poll to decide the winner(s)
Prizes:
  • Compliments by the community
  • Become the cover picture of our Facebook page
  • Become the Simutrans homepage image
Terms:
You must post only images under the following licenses: CC0, CC-BY 3.0 or newer, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or newer.

SilverHorse

New & Old Central Station.

This is the main railway station of a big city. It was built for the first railway line and had a passenger building and a clock tower. It was very beautiful but, decades after, it became too small, so some new underground tracks were built to increase the capacity and lengthen the rail line into the city.

However, the high speed arrived in the nineties, and new platforms were built. The old freight station was moved nearby to free space for the new passenger terminal. A new hall, a signal control centre, a post office and several bus platforms were built to create a transport hub.

Several bussiness were made around the great station, like several hotels, a fast food restaurant or a high tower. In fact, the World Transport Organization office is now being built in this area.

It's a created scenario (not a real game), from pak 128, with Spanish Addons..

You can get these and more Addons at The Simutrans Boxroom

Under CC-BY-SA license.

Fabio

Nice to see new pak128 tracks and stations in action :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An_dz

November? I must be time travelling. I meant October, sorry for confusion.

gauthier

New hub in the countryside

license : CC0
pak128 2.5.1 + SNFOS addon (SNCF_V2n double-deck cars)
real game

Long ago, this formerly small town was served by a regional line to the closest major city of the map. Now, this line was converted into a high speed line, the station is connected to the three biggest cities of the map. A regional station was added under the high speed station, connecting the town to the rest of the major cities.

vorlon

Hmm... All I see so far is nice, polished pak128 screenshots with fancy half-heights and climates... Let's break it up a bit!  ;D

Chemical factory grand logistics center
(that is the actual name of the station I came up with at the time)

pak64 plus the US road add-on
real game (by public player)
under CC-BY-SA 3.0

So let me give a little background for the image. It's taken in my first big simutrans game, back in the classical version 88.10.5. When I first got the game it had taken me quite long to figure out how to even set up a single line, and so I didn't ever bother learning signals properly. That is why there are so many platforms: one for almost every train. Some lines had signals, but as soon as something went wrong I demolished the signals and let the trains run freely (through each other, that is). A big contributor to my difficulties might have been the incomplete translation. I remember seeing many error messages in German, and I couldn't use any tutorials or read the forum as my English was on beginner's level at the time.

The reason the station grew that big is partially because my map was large and so there were many pharmacies, but only one chemical factory and pharmaceutical factory to supply them. This made it originally my main hub and was later on a natural passenger hub as well. The passengers got out of control fast and now there are over 1.6 million people waiting. Interestingly, the population of the region is slightly below one million.

Sorry for the station name and waiting bars, but back in the day you couldn't disable them from the display settings. Also, even though the current versions have performance issues, this map with 410 lines, and an amount of vehicles I can't say without counting myself, runs at a solid five frames per second on normal speed. Ah, the good memories...   ;D

prissi

pak64.japan, real game

Once upon a time this town was famour for its temple in the suburbs. So a train line from the capital at the coast was build. Since there were some other towns close by, it evolved evolved into a major transport hub; despite being located so far away from the coast. The old mainline is nowadays only used for freight since the new Shinkansen finally arrived. And now, as the end of a Shinkansen line, town development is really starting, with a brand new covered pedestrian shopping zone downtown next to the station.

(I have a nicer quality source image too).

An_dz

Quote from: prissi on October 08, 2014, 09:45:55 PM
(I have a nicer quality source image too).
Send it. pak.Japan deserves it. :D