News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Road files missing

Started by João Paulo, November 22, 2014, 11:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

João Paulo

Hi, I've playing simutrans since 2009 in a same savefile. I updated the pak128 to 2.5.2 ver. and all of the roads were missing. Also, the trolley system was missing to. What I do?

Here a screenshot of the problem: http://bit.ly/1y0mgdm

Thanks.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Just because you're a new user and that URL is supicious - I did check it out and it is legit (so everyone else knows). :)

João Paulo

gauthier

I tried downloading the pak from the link given on the forum, everything is in. How old was the previous version of pak128 you used before updating it ? Have you downloaded it from the forum or from the nightlies ? How old is your savegame ? Keep in mind that compatibility between pak128 before 2.5.0 (like 2.3.0) and pak128 2.5.x is NOT ensured, since one used full slopes and the other uses half slopes.

João Paulo

The previous version I used was 2.3.0, and my savegame is 5 years old. I downloaded the pak from the forum.

I think the problem looks like the name of the roads. In 2.3.0, the roads were named "road_050", "road_200", etc. and in 2.5.2, the roads were named "Road_050", "Highway 200".

gauthier

Well ... as I said, compatibility between 2.3.0 and 2.5.x is not ensured, mostly because of the new soft slopes. If you want to play your old savegame, you will have to keep a pak128 2.3.0.

prissi

As said again, a file compat.tab with the most important changes could also allow for loading old games with the new pak. That is the sole purpose of said file.

The best starting point to create it is probably loading a well developed old game into the new pak, and write down (form the log-file) which paks are missing resptive which were replaced. Those are probably the minimum to ensure compatibility.

I think many player would warmly wellcome this relatively small effort.

gauthier

Quote from: prissi on November 25, 2014, 12:09:06 AM
As said again, a file compat.tab with the most important changes could also allow for loading old games with the new pak. That is the sole purpose of said file.

The best starting point to create it is probably loading a well developed old game into the new pak, and write down (form the log-file) which paks are missing resptive which were replaced. Those are probably the minimum to ensure compatibility.

I think many player would warmly wellcome this relatively small effort.
You are right, I did not even know about such file. I'm working on it right now so it would in nightly builds soon.

EDIT : well, first of all, I apologize about this compat stuff that I was not aware of, I just did my best as quickly as possible to spot problems related to this and to fix them.

The main problems were :
"rail_track_xxx_x" were renamed to "rail_xxx_x" (soooooooo useful !)
and
"road_xxx_x" where xxx > 100 were renamed to "highway_xxx_x" (he can't be serious -_-' ...)
There were also waterroad changed to canal_xx (at least this one looks more useful).

I found no exact trace of what name was changed between 2.3.0 and pre-2.5.0, and checking them all from old svn releases is too tedious (I did the most obvious after the picture you posted above), so I can't guarantee I have fixed them all, let me know if there are more problems like that.

The new compat.tab is commited in pak128 r1501, I attached it to this post so you can already try it (replace the one in your pak128 directory).

Fabio

Names were changed for a specific reason: so that compat.tab would be able to replace the ways which don't support hard slopes with a hidden (I.e. No icon) compatibility way supporting them. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to get around this. If you could just do it it would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gauthier

I already checked all ways and way-object (I may have forgotten tram catenaries, I will check again soon) so it should be okay. If there are other such pending changes, please tell me.