News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Ferries suggestion

Started by rsdworker, November 24, 2014, 12:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsdworker

i noticed the ferries - on long distance ferries travelling more than 2 hours usually equipped with cabins increasing comfort range
while shorter ferries on same type (example long distance ferries covernted to have lounges only - this one of example already exists - MS oslofjord (former name is Ms bergenford) which used be long distance ferry with cabins - which removed when he went in changes to short distance ferry
so in Simtrans - there no comfort extensions for it
so i prospse that - players could add cabin extension (bed icon would appear on ferry) the comfort would increase means happy passegners
also add some cargo types can carried - one ferry can carry passgeners and goods (non mail) rather having separate ferry to carry goods

so two types of comfort for passgeners (both can be combined)
Lounges (passegners sit or relax)
Lounge (seat icon) this suitable for 1 to 3 hour ferries
recling lounges suitable for more than 3 hours - some ferries can carry reclining lounges on 1 to 3 days trip (its rare for 3+ days trip)
both have comfort as 10
Cabins
Cheap cabins - comfort at 5 - suitable for 3 to 12 hour ferries - this commly found in ireland routes
Standard cabins - comfort at 10
delxue cabins - comfort at 30
Luxury cabins - comfort at 50

freight can carried on passegner ships as lorries - all products but execpt Oil and livestock (Livestock normally carried on freight ships unless if no sutiable ship for it then can carried on passegner ferries)
currently has goods and food and mail on Simstrans game as extestions

jamespetts

This is not possible in the current code; these would have to be coded as separate ferries upgradable to one another by way of refitting. Are there any significant British examples of this practice of which you are aware, however?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

rsdworker

Quote from: jamespetts on November 24, 2014, 12:55:35 AM
This is not possible in the current code; these would have to be coded as separate ferries upgradable to one another by way of refitting. Are there any significant British examples of this practice of which you are aware, however?

yes i have some examples of ferries - Pride of rotterdam and Hull both carry all sorts of cargo and has cabins (no lounge) also smaller ferries on island - isle of man ferries carry all freight with passegners

jamespetts

Can you post links to some references?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

rsdworker

refeences: as examples
pride of hull/rotterdam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Pride_of_Hull - both ferries carry cargo and passegner
Ben my chree - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Ben-my-Chree - this smaller ferry can carry both (steam packet company has no delicated freight ship - execpt when steam packet charters the freight ship for TT week
this ship can carry anything - from normal cargo to oil tanks (its very rare to see oil tanks being carried on this ship but very commonly is food delivery lorries for stores in island)

largest cargo and passegner ferry is Ulyssess - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Ulysses

jamespetts

Having a look at those Wikipedia articles, those are roll on/roll off ferries that can carry a large number of lorries carrying freight at the same time as passengers and private cars. Carrying frieght and passengers at the same time is already possible with the hull/holds system, although it might be helpful to have some modern ferries that in fact carry both (but this would equally apply to Standard as to Experimental). It does not appear that the ferries have to be refitted in any way between carrying passengers/freight.

rsdworker

Quote from: jamespetts on November 24, 2014, 10:14:08 AM
Having a look at those Wikipedia articles, those are roll on/roll off ferries that can carry a large number of lorries carrying freight at the same time as passengers and private cars. Carrying frieght and passengers at the same time is already possible with the hull/holds system, although it might be helpful to have some modern ferries that in fact carry both (but this would equally apply to Standard as to Experimental). It does not appear that the ferries have to be refitted in any way between carrying passengers/freight.
i will try to find which ships had refitted one - i believe some exist

kierongreen

Ben-my-Chree is an interesting one - cabins are provided even though sailing time is less than 4 hours (the passenger capacity on that ship is relatively small though), from person experience these are fairly basic, although the en-suite shower is welcome! CalMac have longer crossings which only have a recliner lounge maximum.

rsdworker

Quote from: kierongreen on November 24, 2014, 06:42:37 PM
Ben-my-Chree is an interesting one - cabins are provided even though sailing time is less than 4 hours (the passenger capacity on that ship is relatively small though), from person experience these are fairly basic, although the en-suite shower is welcome! CalMac have longer crossings which only have a recliner lounge maximum.
- there is lounges - 3 lounges aboard - which i used last year in November
the capaity varies - commonly is less than 250 passengers in quiet time but at peak time - 650 passengers

jamespetts