News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

PakBritain - Releases and progress

Started by The Hood, February 03, 2009, 09:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I like that! That is very good indeed. Very atmospheric...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Rail electrification:
Top = old-style DC catenary
Middle = modern high-speed AC catenary
Bottom = DC Third Rail

I'll upload the latest stuff to SVN soon!
Now added ways and depots.  Note that High Speed Rail track is missing as I'm still waiting for the sources for that off Kieron.

jamespetts

Very nice - it's good to see such excellent progress being made!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Latest screenshot:
- new brick rail tunnel
- cobblestone road and dirt track (painted by Kieron, and I've now received the sources for!)

jamespetts

The progress on this is very impressive!

micslu

I'm impressed with the consistent moody tone of PakBritain.
It's getting harder to decide which pakset I want to play next!

The Hood

Thanks for the feedback!  I wouldn't recommend a playing a full game with pakBritain quite yet - there's still a lot missing and it's not balanced.  Although you can use standard 128 objects to fill the gaps in.

Anyway, with many thanks to fabio (who let me shamelessly steal and modify these) I have done rail signals.  You will probably recognise most already!  Top line is really old signals, middle is classic, bottom is modern era.
L-R: normal signal, pre-signal, long-block signal, choose-signal, end of choose signal.

kierongreen

Slight issue with signals - these are on the right hand side of the track whereas in general left hand running is the rule in the UK. Though I don't know if there's an easy fix for that or even whether it's worth changing...

jamespetts

Excellent! I love the man with the flag ;-) Any plans to upload these and the roads to the SVN any time soon...?

The Hood

@kieron - I would like left hand signals too, problem is the way the graphics engine draws them, and they don't look right (if signals can get front and back images in the future, I will change to left hand signals).

@jamespetts - going up when I finish this message :-) ...now done

and as an added treat, two more rail tunnels (old stone portal tunnel and high speed concrete portal).

jamespetts

Lovely!

Edit: The latest upload to the SVN is missing the image files for the TGV track, the cobblestone road and the dirt road.

Edit 2: Incidentally, I have noticed some items missing from the SVN that are present in the binary release: the Metropolitan dreadnought carriages (both versions), the Metropolitan 1907 motorised stock and the Metropolitan Vickers electric are all in the released binary version of PakBritain, but not the SVN. Indeed, the latest binary, in turn, is missing a number of items that were also present in previous binary releases, including the Metropolitan E-class tank locomotive, the DLR trains and the Metropolitan Bogie Third carriage. All of them seem to be drawn by Kieron. It would be rather good to have them back, as it seems a terrible waste for them not to be used.

kierongreen

Originally those were part of a separate pak (london transport).

I'd suggest maybe make the stone portal castellated to provide a bit of variety?

jamespetts

Kieron,

would it be possible for you to release the sources for the London Transport pack? Those are useful and well-drawn vehicles. And I agree about the castellation, although I imagine that it would be a bit tricky to draw ;-)

The Hood

Thought I had added the way images to SVN but they were in a different folder so maybe not.

I think I do have the sources for the LU stuff (they are in my development pak at any rate, so I would think that means I have the sources), and I thought I'd added them too, but obviously not.

I'll investigate both this evening and add stuff that I can find.

Good idea about castellation - shouldn't be too tricky in blender.  I might also make the stone tunnel a bit more sandstone yellow colour to differentiate from the concrete one.  Thoughts?

jamespetts

Agree with the sandstone colour idea :-)

Spike

Quote from: micslu on March 02, 2009, 07:17:06 PM
I'm impressed with the consistent moody tone of PakBritain.

I like that very much, too :) It really gives it a unique flavour.

The Hood

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I've dug out the LU images and put them on SVN, and also added the way graphics. 

jamespetts

Excellent - thank you! Incidentally, when I have finished my remaining planned coding projects for Simutrans-Experimental (that is, (1) vehicle upgrades, on which I am working now, and (2) a new revenue system), I am planning to do some work on PakBritain, partly to create a PakBritain-Experimental to go with Simutrans-Experimental, but also to add to it generally. There is a lorry timeline still outstanding, I believe...?

The Hood

@james: If you have time for PakBritain that would be massively helpful, even if it's non-graphics related.  The lorry timeline is still outstanding, also for canals and possibly planes (although I'm planning on using Zeno's work on planes as they are fairly international).  I have a planned timeline for completing London Underground stuff and narrow gauge trains. 

And if anyone feels like learning blender, there's plenty of graphics work too (some of it not too hard and can be made by varying existing stuff).

jamespetts

The coding that I have yet to do I imagine will take me a few weeks, but I shall let you know when the major outstanding new features are completed, and the continuing coding work will be limited to maintenance and adoption of others' patches. I shall very much look forward to the rest of the Underground things and narrow gauge trains!

Also to be done by somebody at some stage:

* railway bridges;

* splash screen logo;

* ground objects;

* different eras' industries; and

* bus graphics.

As for aircraft, perhaps concentrate on smaller aircraft used for short-haul flights? Even the largest Simutrans maps strike me as too small for intercontinental aviation... ;-)

The Hood

Quote from: jamespetts on March 05, 2009, 11:34:22 PM
Also to be done by somebody at some stage:

* railway bridges;
* splash screen logo;
* ground objects;
* different eras' industries; and
* bus graphics.

...and all the other stuff on the to-do list post...!!! (more important are things like canals, stops, and the GUI which are preventing a full opensource release).

The Hood

OK, one less thing on the to-do list (re-drawn tunnel) :)

jamespetts

The Hood

Canal set - including locks on the slopes, a tunnel, and an aqueduct.

isidoro

jamespetts

Goodness me - canals, now, too! You know, once there are canals, people will be able to start a game in 1750 and play for three hundred game years!

VS

And transport... what?

(I want to see somebody playing that long ;) )

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

The Hood

Quote from: jamespetts on March 07, 2009, 05:58:52 PM
Goodness me - canals, now, too! You know, once there are canals, people will be able to start a game in 1750 and play for three hundred game years!

That is the ultimate plan ;)

Here's an old road tunnel too.

jamespetts

micslu

I've recently read the first 3 Jim Stringer railway detective mysteries (Necropolis Railway, Blackpool Highflyer and Lost Luggage Porter) by Andrew Martin.
These screenshots are giving me good illustration of the railroad and scenery of the period. I hope impenetrable fog and bleak moors follow  :D!
Really good job!!!

jamespetts

The Hood, are you doing a "bleak moors" ground object? ;-)

micslu

I know most of Britain was covered by snow recently but PakBritain should have bleak Gothic moors (ala the Brontes) instead of alpine and desert climes  ;D
And lots of coal mines but offshore oil only!

mjhn

Go for bleak moors and Fen instead of alpine and desert.
Of course, Britain has onshore oilfields. They are small, but look more like the 'oil field' industries in simutrans than the big Arabian or Russian oilfields do.
When do we get some norrowboats to use on those nice canals?

The Hood

Quote from: micslu on March 09, 2009, 07:38:38 PM
These screenshots are giving me good illustration of the railroad and scenery of the period. I hope impenetrable fog and bleak moors follow  :D!
Really good job!!!
Thanks for the feedback!  The colours are quite dull and bleak anyway, presumably kieron did this to represent cloud cover  :D 
Quote from: jamespetts on March 09, 2009, 08:17:36 PM
The Hood, are you doing a "bleak moors" ground object? ;-)
Not right away  :P
Quote from: mjhn on March 09, 2009, 10:30:24 PM
Go for bleak moors and Fen instead of alpine and desert.
I think climates are hardwired into the game, rather than the pak, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, Kieron set these up and I haven't got the sources, so  not a lot I can do (or that I could do better!)
Of course, Britain has onshore oilfields. They are small, but look more like the 'oil field' industries in simutrans than the big Arabian or Russian oilfields do.
There should be some small onshore oilfields in the industry set.  They don't appear very often though and will ultimately be set up to be lower output than oil rigs (they all have generic values at the moment).
When do we get some norrowboats to use on those nice canals?
When someone draws them?  :P

That won't be me for quite some time (see the to-do list, and how far down they are!) but if anyone else wants to have a go, I'm more than willing to help them get started and help you make things that fit the graphics style (e.g. send blender files over for using as a base).