News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Modern Vehicles

Started by The Hood, December 16, 2014, 08:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

How splendid - and such variety!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Classes 332 (Heathrow Express) and 333 (Arriva Northern Spirit and Northern Trains liveries)

I'm not quite sure what to do about these in Standard. They are basically the same spec trains but the HEx units have very low seating capacity (lots of first class airport express) while the 333s have very high capacity. Experimental can have two comfort setting types. I think I'll just ditch the 332s for Standard as that sort of service is just not represented.

jamespetts

Splendid!

Yes, that seems sensible; there's less call for variety in Standard in many instances.

Incidentally, on the subject of modern vehicles, there are some modern freight locomotives that need to be added, I believe.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Something smaller - the class 139 "Parry People Mover" (diesel powered flywheel)

jamespetts

How delightful! I remember a friend of mine expressing amazement at travelling on one of these a few years ago, although I have not had the pleasure myself. Have you ever been on one?

thunderkiller1996

Looks very nice boys, a job well done! :)

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on February 01, 2015, 06:45:47 PM
Splendid!

Yes, that seems sensible; there's less call for variety in Standard in many instances.

Incidentally, on the subject of modern vehicles, there are some modern freight locomotives that need to be added, I believe.

Class 68/88?

jamespetts

68, yes, but wasn't the 88 a planned but never built freight version of the 87? I was thinking more of the 70.

thunderkiller1996

Quote from: jamespetts on February 09, 2015, 09:55:50 AM
68, yes, but wasn't the 88 a planned but never built freight version of the 87? I was thinking more of the 70.
This is a different locomotive, as that TOPS number has been re-used. It's basically a dual-mode version of the Class 68 in use with DRS, and the operator of this new Class 88 is... DRS! Modelling the 88 should be easy, as it shares many components with its diesel powered stablemate.

I do agree with you there, the Class 70 would be a good addition to Simutrans as a modern vehicle-plenty of oomph, and very modern.

Quote from: Junna on February 09, 2015, 04:12:53 AM
Class 68/88?
Would be cool to see a dual power locomotive in Simutrans (i.e. Class 73, Class 88), but I guess the coding doesn't support the actual use of that feature.

Junna

Quote from: thunderkiller1996 on February 09, 2015, 10:10:35 AM
I do agree with you there, the Class 70 would be a good addition to Simutrans as a modern vehicle-plenty of oomph, and very modern.

First, it must be able to simulate engine fires!

The Hood

And here is a class 70:

We could probably do with more variety of goods rolling stock but I don't really have much knowledge about that. I'll keep producing locos and pax trains for now but if anyone wants any particular wagons filling in, let me know (with a picture or info link).

Junna

Maybe one of those early BR flat wagons for those small 2x2 m containers?

jamespetts

Have only just noticed these latest additions - we'd been needing a 70 for a while. Splendid! We could do with a systematic review of freight wagons at some point, as some data suggest that the current system of having one set of wagons at any given era is not correct and that there would have been different sizes of the same types of wagons (especially in the pre-nationalisation era) built at the same time.

Moe Ron

It would certainly be nice to see the new Eurostar 374s in Simutrans.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Picture didn't load for me, but I extracted the link: " class="bbc_img

Lewis

jamespetts

They are not released yet.

jamespetts

Are there any plans to upload the sources for the work so far on these? They are rather splendid.

Junna

They are indeed in need of being added to the source. It's been for ever.

The Hood

Yes it has been a while. There are a few more I want to do and I'd hoped I'd have finished it by now but obviously not! Will see either about finishing the project off or at least uploading what is already done in the next few weeks.

The Hood

It's been a while but here are some more. Class 68 In DRS and Chiltern livery and class 88 electric version in DRS (details guessed slightly as this hasn't been built yet!). Class 88 is coded as electric even though in real life it is dual mode.

jamespetts

Some consideration will have to be given to adding dual mode vehicles into the code; this was considered a few years ago, but rejected on the ground that it would be a lot of work for a few rather obscure classes of locomotive such as the 72. The emergence of a new generation of dual mode vehicles gives rise to the need to reconsider this. Experimental has something of a backlog, but I wonder whether Keiron would consider adding this feature to Standard?

The Hood

And the latest Eurostar vehicles - class 374:

jamespetts

Splendid! That's quite a thing.

kierongreen

Quote from: jamespetts on August 29, 2015, 02:08:19 PM
Some consideration will have to be given to adding dual mode vehicles into the code; this was considered a few years ago, but rejected on the ground that it would be a lot of work for a few rather obscure classes of locomotive such as the 72. The emergence of a new generation of dual mode vehicles gives rise to the need to reconsider this. Experimental has something of a backlog, but I wonder whether Keiron would consider adding this feature to Standard?
There'll still be discussions over whether it is just over complicating things I think. I've got a bit to much to think about with over things I want to get into Standard at the moment, but I'd certainly give it a go at some point.

The Hood

Another thought Kieron - do you have the Javelin blend files? I don't seem to have them, and it would be good to redo them in the livery they actually turned up in as well as using for a base for the visually similar new IEP trains. If not looks like I'll have to make a new blend from scratch.

Junna

I remember that the 502 and 303 were missing, but maybe you fixed those before?

The Hood

Great thanks - will see when I get time to work on these.

The Hood

Here we go:
(1) Class 395 Javelins in their correct service livery
(2) Class 800 IEPs in speculative "GWR" Livery (as per artists impressions available) - coded as Diesel in Simutrans
(3) Class 801 IEPs in speculative Virgin East Coast livery - coded as electrics
In reality both 800s and 801s will be operating on Great Western and East Coast, so should be livery variants in Experimental.

jamespetts

Splendid! What are the differences between 800s and 801s?

The Hood

800s are bi-mode, 801s are electric. I can't find much hard data on weight and power, other than each diesel engine is rated at 700kW on the bi-mode version. 800s can be converted later into 801s (upgrade in simutrans) by stripping out the diesel engines. There is also going to be a further order of higher-powered bi-modes for the Cornwall line, but these haven't been allocated a TOPS code and I'm not sure it's worth adding them (same graphics as 800 anyhow).

jamespetts

Interesting - thank you. It will be useful to look into proper bi-mode operation at some point, but there is rather along queue at present.

kierongreen

It's worth noting that both 800's and 801's are technically bi-modes, it's all down to how many of the carriages have diesel engines. On the 800's that's most of them, on the 801 only a couple have them so they can only use diesel power for emergencies. As a result they can probably just be coded as the same class, just with the option of diesel or electric carriages which can all be coupled together.

Drewthegreat87

What would be the chances of getting a hold of the image files for all these modern trains? I have makeobj and can write my own DAT files for them. I downloaded the zip files for both the standard pak set and the experimental pakset so I can adapt it for a custom pak set ( as well as balancing vehicles etc.)

Thanks for all the hard work on this pak set and also the experimental pak set as well!