News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Join game 1 on moblet.servegame.com here

Started by moblet, December 28, 2014, 07:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

QuoteI still can't connect to the 128 server -- have tried 3 times and in all cases it hangs, brings up the loading bar, which gets to about the edge of the network game dialog, and then I get the dreaded "not enough bytes transferred."
About the same for me. Stops with same error around middle.

moblet

After some uninformative tests with @Fifty and a modem restart I gave everything a few hours rest and restarted the server. Both games are now working for me. See how you go...

DrSuperGood

I think 50 and I managed to crash the server some how (possibly involving bridges). I somehow managed to fragment a power network by building a road bridge over a power bridge start. After noticing the fragmentation we removed both and were building alternatives but it crashed when someone tried to join/re-join).

It also has likely corrupted the last save as my client crashed during saving.

Fifty

The good news, however, is that we both seem to be able to connect again without issues.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

benjad

pak64 reporting offline, 128 online.

Suspect it might be a game issue.  Curious if the intersecting bridges are causing an issue.  (That seems to be when problems began).  Try removing them.?

moblet

Game is up again and working for me.

@jjatca - PM sent.

moblet

Both games presently offline due to internet outage.

moblet

Internet has been restored. Both games now up again.

benjad

both games unreachable... ping fails as well. 

fabiualex

The server is down again. By this way, company will crash. Everytime that i try to play, i can't.
Curitibano, viciado nesse jogo. Sim, eu brinco de fazer Curitiba e refazer e assim vai.

DrSuperGood

QuoteThe server is down again. By this way, company will crash. Everytime that i try to play, i can't.
Currently progress is advancing so slowly that is not much of a concern.

I would not be surprised if most of the server crashes are due to internet connectivity issues. The server appears to go down for an extended period every time I join and get booted with "Not enough bytes sent" errors.

So far only twice was there an actual crash in-game as far as I can tell. First was a crash caused by power bridges (not sure how) caused by moblet and the other was when I cut a power bridge with a road bridge which crashed when loading another map (must have corrupted the application but not the save so restart fixed). The common factor with these appears to be the power bridge.

The rest are due to network connectivity issues either disconnecting the server from the internet or causing the server to hang it would appear.

Gilgamesh

Hi,

I would like to join this online game. Are you going to restart it or open a new one in the next days?

DrSuperGood

It is currently being continued by someone else.

moblet

The game has been transferred to benjad's server and is listed as Moblet 64, continued.

@Gilgamesh which empty slot would you like? (The player will be reset so you get as much starting cash as possible.)

Gilgamesh

Quote from: moblet on January 26, 2015, 10:35:05 PM
The game has been transferred to benjad's server and is listed as Moblet 64, continued.

@Gilgamesh which empty slot would you like? (The player will be reset so you get as much starting cash as possible.)
the first one (blue) is ok ;)

moblet

I may have just crashed the server in trying to join it (most of my attempts to join the game have returned "not enough bytes transferred" errors).

Gilgamesh

Quote from: moblet on January 26, 2015, 11:07:18 PM
I may have just crashed the server in trying to join it
no, it is still running ;)

moblet

OK @Gilgamesh, managed to join the game and reset the player. PM sent with password.

benjad

Quick status of things:

Since hosting on Sunday night, server has ran without a hitch.  I have learned one big thing:

Server will report "not responding" when trying to load a game (aka only one person can join at a time).  Some with very poor connections to the server can take upwards of 90 seconds. During this time, the server appears to be down. 

Some solutions?  Consider ping times in server listing?  Min speed requirements?   Also concerned about multi continent game hosting.   My server is in East Coast USA.  Since been here, US folks (and ever UK) have reported much better responsiveness.  While other side of the globe folks report frequent desyncs. 

Add field to server info on server continent location?

Next to understand more about "not enough bytes transferred"

DrSuperGood

QuoteConsider ping times in server listing?
Ping has a subjective quantity and has nothing to do with how fast you can download the map or if you can play. It is possible to have a large ping and also a large download rate.

Additionally if the server is busy it cannot be pinged because all netcode runs of the same threads it would seem.

QuoteMin speed requirements?
No one knows the speed of a connection until they have actually tried it. I do agree that Simutrans servers should abort file transfers that are noticeably too slow (single digit kb or less per second).

QuoteWhile other side of the globe folks report frequent desyncs. 
I think moblet's connection might have issues at times. Which would explain the problems we had connecting with him.
Add field to server info on server continent location?
Probably a good idea. Something like "Geographical Location".

QuoteNext to understand more about "not enough bytes transferred"
It occurs when ever a file transfer is interrupted. Since it did not complete, not enough bytes were transferred for the file so the transferred file can be considered corrupted. I believe this happens as the result of a socket failure or if the transfer speed really is too slow (there might be some fail safe timing code running).

The main issue is that the net-code is single threaded. Instead of the main thread blocking the game progression until network operations are done, it should run asynchronously with a netcode component. The netcode component should either use asynchronous I/O methods for communication or generate dedicated threads for large data transfers with several slave threads to process incoming requests. It should also have some form of bandwidth restriction code to prevent bandwidth saturation disrupting other server processes.

EDIT:
I would like to state my displeasure with Gilgamesh (Company 2 (blue)) construction within the cities I am operating in. These cities already had a perfect transport networks (>>90% pickup) and he has managed to knock down the population probably by 250-500 people across all those cities by demolishing houses. I will not be taking any action to stop him (I am not malicious) however I would like to make aware that I am displeased.

moblet

I'm still mostly unable to connect and never able to stay connected to this or any available server game even though my internet connection performs well in tests and at other tasks, so I cannot continue with my player (XII) or administration duties for this game.

DrSuperGood

QuoteI'm still mostly unable to connect and never able to stay connected to this or any available server game even though my internet connection performs well in tests and at other tasks, so I cannot continue with my player (XII) or administration duties for this game.
I think that is what was happening to most people playing when you hosted it. Something is not right with your connection through to the US and Europe.

moblet

Apparently a submarine cable between Australia and Asia has failed, maybe this is contributing.

Gilgamesh

benjad

9 days without a crash... no bad for XP. ;D

Game is back up and running.

Now trying to figure out how to open a 996,000kb log file to see what the last few steps were.
======

last "page" er so. 

Message: network_command_t::rdwr:   read packet_id=8, client_id=1
Warning: nwc_tool_t::rdwr:   rdwr id=8 client=0 plnr=2 pos=335,134,-2 wkzid=4097 defpar=(null) init=0 flags=0
Warning: network_check_activity():   received cmd id=8 nwc_tool_t from socket[1236]
Warning: nwc_tool_t::clone:   send sync_steps=1832279  wkz=4097 work
Message: network_command_t::rdwr:   write packet_id=8, client_id=0
Warning: nwc_tool_t::rdwr:   rdwr id=8 client=1 plnr=2 pos=335,134,-2 wkzid=4097 defpar=(null) init=0 flags=0
Message: network_world_command_t::execute:   do_command 8 at sync_step 7329129 world now at 7329128
Message: packet_t::send:   sent 51 bytes to socket[1236]; id=8, size=51
Message: nwc_tool_t::do_command:   steps 7329129 wkz 4097 work
Message: nwc_tool_t::do_command:   id=1 init=0 defpar=(null) flag=0
Message: network_command_t::rdwr:   write packet_id=9, client_id=0
Message: packet_t::send:   sent 32 bytes to socket[1236]; id=9, size=32
Message: route_t::calc_route():   No route from 42,374 to 263,244 found
Message: aircraft_t::calc_route():   search runway start near (263,244,0)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():   start from (265,236) to (41,371)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():   to (41,371) found.
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():   start from (41,371) to (48,371)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():   to (48,371) found.
Message: network_command_t::rdwr:   read packet_id=8, client_id=1
Warning: nwc_tool_t::rdwr:   rdwr id=8 client=0 plnr=2 pos=335,135,-2 wkzid=4110 defpar=cobblestone_road init=0 flags=0
Warning: network_check_activity():   received cmd id=8 nwc_tool_t from socket[1236]
Warning: nwc_tool_t::clone:   send sync_steps=1832349  wkz=4110 work
Message: network_command_t::rdwr:   write packet_id=8, client_id=0
Warning: nwc_tool_t::rdwr:   rdwr id=8 client=1 plnr=2 pos=335,135,-2 wkzid=4110 defpar=cobblestone_road init=0 flags=0
Message: network_world_command_t::execute:   do_command 8 at sync_step 7329409 world now at 7329408
Message: packet_t::send:   sent 73 bytes to socket[1236]; id=8, size=73
Message: nwc_tool_t::do_command:   steps 7329409 wkz 4110 work
Message: nwc_tool_t::do_command:   id=14 init=0 defpar=cobblestone_road flag=0
Message: two_click_werkzeug_t::work:   Position 335,135,-2 valid=2
Message: two_click_werkzeug_t::work:   Setting end to 335,135,-2
Message: wegbauer_t::route_fuer():   setting way type to 1, besch=cobblestone_road, bruecke_besch=NULL, tunnel_besch=NULL
Message: wkz_wegebau():   builder found route with 3 squares length.
Message: wegbauer_t::baue():   type=1 max_n=2 start=335,133 end=335,135

DrSuperGood

Cannot see anything too unusual with the logs next to the last thing being that a street way was built (possibly at an invalid location?). Maybe the log file itself grew too big? Also possible that after 9 days a completely random crash occurred as a result of influences outside your control.

Might be a good idea to schedule a reboot once a week (during which time you swap the log files out, make remote backups etc).

benjad

looks like it crashed again.. rebooting and restarting. 

====

Message: haltestelle_t::liefere_an():    Nova Logistics and Assosiates Headquarters: delivered goods (1 Mail) to ??? via ??? could not be routed to their destination!
Message: haltestelle_t::liefere_an():    Nova Logistics and Assosiates Headquarters: delivered goods (1 Mail) to ??? via ??? could not be routed to their destination!
Message: haltestelle_t::liefere_an():    Nova Logistics and Assosiates Headquarters: delivered goods (2 Mail) to ??? via ??? could not be routed to their destination!
Message: haltestelle_t::liefere_an():    Nova Logistics and Assosiates Headquarters: delivered goods (2 Mail) to ??? via ??? could not be routed to their destination!
Message: haltestelle_t::liefere_an():    Randomidity station: delivered goods (1 Passengers) to ??? via ??? could not be routed to their destination!
Message: haltestelle_t::liefere_an():    Randomidity station: delivered goods (2 Passengers) to ??? via ??? could not be routed to their destination!
Message: haltestelle_t::liefere_an():    Randomidity station: delivered goods (2 Passengers) to ??? via ??? could not be routed to their destination!
Message: haltestelle_t::liefere_an():    Randomidity station: delivered goods (1 Passengers) to ??? via ??? could not be routed to their destination!
Message: network_command_t::rdwr:    write packet_id=9, client_id=0
Message: packet_t::send:    sent 32 bytes to socket[1408]; id=9, size=32

benjad

And back down again... have a bad feeling about this one.

====

Message: aircraft_t::calc_route():    search runway start near (365,113,0)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (367,104) to (267,249)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    to (267,249) found.
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (267,249) to (267,243)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    to (267,243) found.
Message: route_t::calc_route():    No route from 263,244 to 42,374 found
Message: aircraft_t::calc_route():    search runway start near (42,374,0)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (52,373) to (267,249)
Message: packet_t::send:    sent 32 bytes to socket[1416]; id=9, size=32
Message: route_t::calc_route():    No route from 365,113 to 263,244 found
Message: aircraft_t::calc_route():    search runway start near (263,244,0)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (267,236) to (369,117)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    to (369,117) found.
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (369,117) to (369,107)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    to (369,107) found.
Message: route_t::calc_route():    No route from 42,374 to 263,244 found
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (265,236) to (41,371)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    to (41,371) found.
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (41,371) to (48,371)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    to (48,371) found.

=====

connected client crashed as well. 

Unhandled exception at 0x006E8866 in simutrans.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000001, 0x00092FE4).
Unhandled exception at 0x006E9085 in simutrans.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00090FFC.

benjad

Down yet again, but I think I'm noticing a pattern this time. 

====
Message: route_t::calc_route():    No route from 42,374 to 263,244 found

Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (265,236) to (41,371)
Message: packet_t::send:    sent 32 bytes to socket[1420]; id=9, size=32

265,236 tile is not valid waytype air.  It never was.  it was clear land recently converted into a road. 

DrSuperGood

Attach the save. Since this is re-creatable it can be debugged and a fix committed.

That said, try advancing it past that stage locally using a nightly build. It could be a once off (or rare) occurrence that has already been fixed in the nightly.

Gilgamesh

It crashed again, I think that there is something broken due to the removal of the Treasured public station because there are still some ships, busses and also airplanes trying to access the former station (light green player and maybe others too)

DrSuperGood

QuoteIt crashed again, I think that there is something broken due to the removal of the Treasured public station because there are still some ships, busses and also airplanes trying to access the former station (light green player and maybe others too)
Maybe the solution is to remove such players completely? They had several days notice to move their convoys.

I never even used that exchange, it was started by the former Yellow player.

benjad

Player HD removed.  Only one convoy, no route.   Never chatted in chat, no construction for 5 years.

Player Future Corporation unlocked.  Any no route/waiting convoy sent to depot.  Never in chat, no idea who it belongs to.  If this is your player, PM me for new password.  Will be removed in a few days of no activity.

Will see what happens with invalid routes removed, but still think it is airport related.

TurfIt

Quote from: DrSuperGood on February 05, 2015, 05:18:56 AM
That said, try advancing it past that stage locally using a nightly build. It could be a once off (or rare) occurrence that has already been fixed in the nightly.
Whatever the problem, it does appear fixed in a nightly. r7520 has no issues running the save. With r7373, it continually crashes.

EDIT: And after running for 2 hours in r7520, it crashes 10 secs after I post...

benjad

100% sure it is an air routing issue.  I watched the plane land, it loaded to 100%, and then the server crashed.. likely when aircraft was pathfinding.

Message: route_t::calc_route():    No route from 42,374 to 263,245 found
Message: aircraft_t::calc_route():    search runway start near (263,245,0)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (265,240) to (41,371)

Message: packet_t::send:    sent 32 bytes to socket[1412]; id=9, size=32

===============
I pulled the aircraft that I think is causing the crash... so we will find out now. 

The savegame is here.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gdCwqnX_TbYzZDOUY2QW45SVk/view?usp=sharing

The offending route is Future's air route LA1 between Persistence and Departure Exchange.  Going to carefully cull the log, as I think I see a pattern as to when that route finding was successful, and when it caused a crash.

====
further edit.

Still crashes.  Again an air route is in the log right before the crash.  Restarted.

=====

Well, that's it.  I have done all I can.   Won't run for more than 3 minutes without crashing. 

Message: haltestelle_t::unreserve_position():    failed for gr=030B50EC
Message: route_t::calc_route():    No route from 263,244 to 365,113 found
Message: aircraft_t::calc_route():    search runway start near (365,113,0)
Message: route_t::append_straight_route():    start from (367,104) to (267,249)
Message: packet_t::send:    sent 32 bytes to socket[1408]; id=9, size=32