News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Request regarding lightmap

Started by moritz, December 28, 2014, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moritz

Experimenting with a half-height lightmap, I noticed that Simutrans does not show subtle differences in lighting.
As a result of this, many edges are pretty much invisible without the grid enabled (see screenshots).
I would love to see that small colour differences which are carefully chosen in the lightmap are actually displayed in the game.
Attached are screenshots of a ClimateTexture which is 50%grey (RGB=127,127,127) and a lightmap.

An_dz

This is because Simutrans graphic is 16bit (RGB565/555/1555) and not 24/32bit (RGB888).

moritz

Is there any way or setting to change this?

Yona-TYT

Quote from: moritz on December 28, 2014, 07:53:47 PM
I think that was a big headache for Max-Max in the GUI Theme Project  :o

Ters

Quote from: moritz on December 28, 2014, 07:53:47 PM

Rewriting Simutrans. Or just half of it if performance doesn't matter.

moritz

well in that case I might just leave the grid on... or indicate the terrain by filling it up with trees or groundobj. Thanks for the quick responses

prissi

This is easy to change, there was even a define for this years ago. But simutrans has to transfer 4x the data through the memory, which did not do well with larger displays.

Ters

IgorEliezer

Or, in a simpler approach, the game could draw very subtle contour lines where the edges of planes with different angles meet. It would be a "cleaner" version of the grid.