News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Poll: how did you meet Simutrans?

Started by vilvoh, February 04, 2009, 11:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

We're back with the poll of the month. Now the communitty is growing slowly but constant, I would like to know how each of you get here. This will be also usefull to check which are the weakest areas where we should give more publicity to Simutrans.

P.D: the last option is only for Hajo, so do not check it if you're not the real Hajo... :D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

prissi

I even did not had an internet connection at home, when I first met Simutrans. Thus it was on the c't CD I think around 2000 or so.

VS

Download site. I searched for TTD in... 2001? And found this. Two years later I ditched TTD, and here I am ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

wipi35

In my PC magazine there's always an item "Free Downloads" and somewhere in 2004 they mentioned Simutrans. I tried the URL and from that moment on I play the game regularly.

wernieman

It was on the SuSE-Linux-CD (6.x)

But SuSE is not a "PC Magazine" .....
I hope you understand my English

vilvoh

Ok, ok. I get it.... :D

Poll updated. Now, you can vote for other sources option, wernieman.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

lukesleftleg

I think I first found out about it on Wikipedia, while searching for transport games because I couldn't face another game of Locomotion, and wondered if there was something more up to date.

I found the learning curve pretty steep actually, and it took me a few months of loading up Simutrans only to close it again when I couldn't get it to do anything.

And then, one day I just sat down with it, determined to understand what was going on, and I don't think I've looked back.

Now, games like TTD and Loco just seem so incredibly simplistic in comparison. (Although the multi-level tracks were nice in Loco, but it looks like underground mode is going some way to evolving into something like this. I think that's the single thing that I miss from any other game).

Zeno

I also first came here through some wiki page, watching at a transport simulation games list. I had played for years TTD, then T&T Tycoon, locomotion and jowood's transport giant and traffic giant.
I loved the idea of citizens changing transport to reach their destiny (which TGiant also implements), and when I saw ST also does it in the wiki main page, it took about ten minutes to me to get into it :D
Now I'm playing and making some stuff for it for longer than a year and I can't stop it!!

DirrrtyDirk

It was on some computer magazine's CD (no idea which one it was). I just browsed through the "free games" section... saw Simutrans... decided to test it... liked it... and I still do.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Frank

Quote from: prissi on February 05, 2009, 09:14:58 AM
I even did not had an internet connection at home, when I first met Simutrans. Thus it was on the c't CD I think around 2000 or so.

c't 12/2001 ( may ) Version 0.78.1

Roads

I checked "search engine looking for a transport game" but that is not entirely true.  I was actually searching for any open source game after being unable to find any commercial game I liked.  Really I prefer a game that has more to it than just transportation but apparently no one has made that yet with the exception of the stock market stuff which I found only slightly interesting.

micslu

I think I came upon Simutrans through Wikipedia railroad portal few years ago.

Djeserkheperure

Other sources. I first came across Simutrans when someone put a snapshot of it in Debian's Sid repository.

Magic_Gorter

I searched for a free simulation game with a search engine because TTD did not work very well and I liked the idea of transporting goods and passengers. And then I found this one. I don't know anymore what year it was but it was a long time ago....

Václav

One PC magazine but there was only pak64 and very old version of executables. I bought included on one CD together with some other SWs - but I bought that CD for quite else SWs I searched.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

TPIBAW

I got the 84.xx version from simutrans.de via a redirect in september 2005. After playing for a month or so I searched for simutrans at a search engine. And came upon simutrans.com.

Tomas

Oh! I don't know  ???
I "live with" Simutrans since 2001. This is too long for my memory  ;D

NiWe

wikipedia, I believe. Presumably browsing for nothing in particular.

Michael 'Cruzer'

I got Simutrans Simutrans in 2003 from a german computer magazine, called "ComputerBild".
There it was whole site about simutrans and it was on the CD...
Founder and Ex-Maintainer of pak192.comic. Provider of Simutrans Hosting rental service.

Sarrus

PC magazine. I can't remember a date, but it was version 0.79. I had many loooong breaks, but I still coming back to Simutrans :).