News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

A bus stop stopping at a bus stop.

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, May 15, 2015, 09:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

If I say "bus stop" a few more times, like bus stop and bus stop but also bus stop, it might lose meaning for you. That's called "semantic satiation". Anyway, on to the bus stop stopping at a bus stop:

http://i.imgur.com/Cxfr0m9.jpg

:)

Ters

Looks like a concept I've seen drawings of, except that was for trains. If so, it's not a bus stop at a bus stop, but a bus don't stop at a bus don't stop stop. The passenger are supposed to board the bus don't stop at the bus don't stop stop, and then as the bus approaches, the bus don't stop starts accelarating until it matches the speed of the bus just as the bus comes up beside it. Passenger then embark and disembark the bus while the bus is still cruising along. Then the bus don't stop slows down and stops at the next bus don't stop stop.

It would make more sense to use another bus rather than a lorry as the bus don't stop, but they might have troubles getting enough buses with doors on both sides (or just on the other side). The crane is useful, though not ideal, for wheel chairs and baby carriages.

wlindley

Isaac: Buses can't stop at bus stops where bus stops are stopped, so: Please stop abusing us with bus stops stopping at bus stops before someone draws a bus stop stopping at bus stop rebus.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

<3

Also, I'm spoiled by reddit. I want the ability to upvote posts! :)

Ters

Quote from: wlindley on May 15, 2015, 03:06:46 PM
Buses can't stop at bus stops where bus stops are stopped

Stopping bus stops at bus stops stop busses from stopping at bus stops?

An_dz

The image shows that Simutrans is extremely realistic with the bust stop stopping outside the tile with the bus stop stop.

@Ters,
Doesn't China have a prototype with that?

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on May 16, 2015, 03:31:06 AM
Doesn't China have a prototype with that?

I don't know. It's a while since I read about the concept, and I don't remember where it came from. But considering that China is looking into a submarine that can carry passengers across oceans in an hour or two, I wouldn't be surprised.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I didn't think it was a prototype yet. I've seen animations of how such a thing would work - and I have to say, it looks a bit dangerous to me. Anytime you give yourself limited track for a vehicle to get up to speed...... it seems like the same idea they had to hook airplanes to dirigibles. It was bad enough releasing them to fly, but the retrieval system was flaky.

Or like aircraft carriers - things go wrong there from time to time. It's one thing for a military pilot to have to punch out after a failed landing, but it's quite another to lose a passenger vehicle because something went wrong. I don't think there's enough safety margin possible to be anywhere efficient.

DrSuperGood

I am too practical unfortunately...

Its a truck carrying a bus stop parked somewhere. If it is parked at a bus stop that is good as it will be unloading its bus stop to make the bus stop in the bus stop... I mean first place. Seeing how bus stops are usually on opposite sides of the road (or near by) it would not be unusual if a shelter was being replaced to see a shelter delivered in some form or another when on a bus in a bus stop.

That said I thought they delivered it in pieces and assembled on site, seeing a ready-made shelter be delivered is kind of unusual.