News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Errors in a graphics pack

Started by Woratiklis, May 08, 2015, 01:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woratiklis

I noticed errors. Image attached.
There are many such errors.

gauthier

... These errors don't look harmful at all, why is this a problem ?

IgorEliezer

It's just missing translation, in my opinion.

Woratiklis

That is, no one will fix the wrong objects? They don't coincide. Look carefully at the screenshot.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Nobody who works on Simutrans gets paid. Everything is done by volunteers. And anyone can volunteer, for the most part.

It apparently has not bothered anyone enough to fix it yet. But if anyone is bothered enough to fix it, they certainly can.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: IgorEliezer on May 10, 2015, 03:39:50 AM
It's just missing translation, in my opinion.

It is indeed. Nothing wrong with the object itself.  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Woratiklis

IgorEliezer, DirrrtyDirk: From where you know, what the translation is absent? You checked?

Isaac.Eiland-Hall, I can send bug reports.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Woratiklis on May 11, 2015, 06:26:25 PM
IgorEliezer, DirrrtyDirk: From where you know, what the translation is absent? You checked?

Isaac.Eiland-Hall, I can send bug reports.

Quite certain since it's simply how simutrans works. ;)

What you see there is just the object's name displayed instead of a nicer formatted text. Something the game does automatically with every object - unless a translation is present. That's basically all that translations files do: read an object name and display a certain text instead. Easy to fix - takes two simple lines of text.

I don't know who is in charge of translations etc. these days, but you could even fix it yourself:

Go into pak128\text and locate your language's translation file. Let's assume English for this example.
So you'd open en.tab with a text editor (e.g. Notepad++).

Translation files always come with paired lines:

Object name (odd line number)
Translation (even line number)

You could add your own lines anywhere (as long as you keep the odd and even lines as they are).

Road_070
Your text about what the road should be called

After the next start of the game, it should be all done.

But as always: a) backup the file before you edit and b) be careful und thorough - sloppy work creates tons of problems, instead of solving just one.  ;)

Edit: This appears to be the solution:
Also simutrans is case sensitive, so "Road" is not the same as "road". Why object names and translation files are all out of sync... I don't know.

Oh and maybe the translation is not entirely missing but simply has that text with the underscores in it to be displayed - which would still be sub-optimal.

Woratiklis

DirrrtyDirk, I and so knew as to make editings.

Need to fix globally.
Site: "Rail_Track_060_Bridge" In game: "Rail_060_Bridge" and so on.

prissi

I think not all of the new landscape stuff has been uploaded to the simutranslator. THat would explain the wrong strings in the tranlator.

It is most easy fixed if some pak128 maintainer would upload the recent state of pak128 to the translator.

EDIT: There is no current maintainer in pak128 apart from Vlavek. I think the translator urgently needs more love from pak128 ... The roads will not be the only thing missing.

gauthier

I can surely do something to translations but it is a big work to check all the objects. I already fixed this kind of problem for some tracks a while ago. The problem is that I'm currently on a three-month project abroad in Japan, so I probably won't have time for this until I'm back home.

DrSuperGood

Is the problem with missing English localizations of some objects? Or missing other language localizations?

As far as I can tell the linked images should not occur for the English localization of the pak as...
"road_070_bridge" has declared "Road bridge"
"Rail_Track_060_Bridge" has declared "Wooden bridge for freight track"
As such they should be showing correct English strings for the English localization.

However based on the complaint made and that the fractional delimiter used is ',' makes me think you are using another European localization of the pak with incomplete strings. For example both are missing from the German localization of pak128.

In the case of missing localization strings it should default to using an existing localization but highlight it to the user that it is not their localization (maybe in red? or another colour). At least some written text is more useful than an internal identifier value. For example in the game StarCraft II when a localization is missing a text decleration you end up with "Param/Value/{32bit hex hash value}" being shown to the user which is completely meaningless. Although Simutrans uses internal identifiers which try to relate to the purpose of the object in some way that does not always have to be the case and you could quite easily end up with nonsense strings being shown to users.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: DrSuperGood on May 12, 2015, 04:52:18 PM
Is the problem with missing English localizations of some objects? Or missing other language localizations?

As far as I can tell the linked images should not occur for the English localization of the pak as...
"road_070_bridge" has declared "Road bridge"
"Rail_Track_060_Bridge" has declared "Wooden bridge for freight track"
As such they should be showing correct English strings for the English localization.

No, actually the problem also exists in English. I highlighted the problems in the quote and below.

While the translation file is just as you wrote, the actual pak128 objects are called differently (and are therefore not translated at all)
"Road_070_bridge" (simutrans is case sensitive: "r" and "R" are not the same)
and
"Rail_060_Bridge" (an entire word is now missing)

DrSuperGood

In that case it is a pak consistency error. Either a typo or a rename gone wrong.

DirrrtyDirk

Since it appears to effect quite a lot of objects, I suspect the latter of these two possibilities.

Woratiklis

Somebody will undertake bug fixes?

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Woratiklis on May 15, 2015, 02:54:13 PM

Some day in the future? Sure.

Any time soon? Probably not. There seems to be no one around who could do it at the moment.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Woratiklis on May 15, 2015, 02:54:13 PM

Again, we're an all-volunteer community and we don't have a lot of extra volunteers. However, we certainly welcome anyone who volunteers to fix things they care enough about to help fix. :)

Woratiklis

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on May 15, 2015, 05:38:35 PM
Again, we're an all-volunteer community and we don't have a lot of extra volunteers. However, we certainly welcome anyone who volunteers to fix things they care enough about to help fix. :)
I can only point to inaccuracies.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Woratiklis

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on May 16, 2015, 11:25:03 AM
Anyone can help with translations: http://simutranslator.simutrans-germany.com/

Also relevant: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?board=47.0

I mean mismatch of strings. Site: "Rail_Track_060_Bridge" In game: "Rail_060_Bridge" and so on.

Combuijs

Quote from: Woratiklis on May 18, 2015, 03:09:59 AM
I mean mismatch of strings. Site: "Rail_Track_060_Bridge" In game: "Rail_060_Bridge" and so on.

Yes, you mean that. And the process going from "Rail_Track_060_Bridge"  to "Rail_060_Bridge" is called a translation (from system language to English). It seems the translation from "Rail_Track_060_Bridge" to English (or whatever language you are playing in) is wrong. It should be changed to "Rail bridge" or something like that. And the good news is, as everybody is telling you, that you can change it yourself. Both in your own environment and in the development environment for the next release...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Woratiklis

Quote from: Combuijs on May 18, 2015, 10:20:09 AM
Yes, you mean that. And the process going from "Rail_Track_060_Bridge"  to "Rail_060_Bridge" is called a translation (from system language to English). It seems the translation from "Rail_Track_060_Bridge" to English (or whatever language you are playing in) is wrong. It should be changed to "Rail bridge" or something like that. And the good news is, as everybody is telling you, that you can change it yourself. Both in your own environment and in the development environment for the next release...
How can I change strings? The site(simutranslator) allows to change only the description.

Combuijs

Ah, I see your problem. Hmm, I don't know if you can do anything about that in general. You could only edit your own translation file.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Isaac Eiland-Hall

My apologies for misinformation or anything misleading; I thought the translator site would be the right place.

But I can still say -- anyone who can update the file (and I'm not a pak author, so I don't know the exact place) -- I'm sure pak maintainers would include corrections in later releases. :)

Fabio

Rail objects were renamed Rail_Track when moving to soft slopes, so that the old objects could be kept for backward compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrSuperGood

After slowly being driven mad by the tooltip errors while playing on 50's Pak128 server I decided to do something and fix them.

Attached below is an improved "en.tab" file for Pak128. This can be put in the "pak128\text" folder replacing the existing one for the current release at time of writing. Furthermore it will not (or at least should not) affect multiplayer compatibility of your pak128 installation as this is a localization file (I tested it playing on 50's pak128 server).

• The names of some goods have been altered to be more clear.
  • The names of some good categories have been altered to be more clear.
  • The names of some curiosities have been altered to produce shorter stop names.
  • The description text for some curiosities has been added or revised.
  • Missing text for way types has been added.
  • Missing text for stops has been added.
  • Missing text for way objects has been added.

If people have any complaints or suggestions feel free to post them.

gauthier

I'm taking a look at this in order to include in into the pak. Thanks for your effort !

DrSuperGood

New version of English Localization. Includes several suggested changes as well as standardization of more names.

gauthier

I finally have some time and motivation to get into this. Adding your file to the pakset is easy, but to do the job properly, we have to add it to simutranslator. I never used it to add translations but Gwalch does, according to him it's impossible to directly add a file. Then, I know this is going to be a hassle, but could you list all the translations you added or changed here so Gwalch can add them individually to Simutranslator ? Anyway your file is to be added to the pakset.

DrSuperGood

The problem is most of the localization targets are missing from simutranslator otherwise I would have used that. If all the localizable targets were inside simutranslator (or if I could add them, can I add them somehow?) then I would much rather use that for standardization purposes. I would even happily port them myself.

From what I could tell somewhere you had to instruct Simutranslator of available localization strings so that they could be localized.

gauthier

I'm not sure to fully understand what you said. Anyway, from what you are saying and Gwalch told me some days ago, Simutranslator seems to be less and less active and up to date. Do you think it is still worth using it ? By the way I noticed that it is impossible to download all the translation files at once to update the pakset :/

Woratiklis

Quote from: gauthier on August 17, 2015, 06:33:00 PM
Do you think it is still worth using it ?
Than to replace Simutranslator? Project Transifex?

gauthier

"Transifex is offered as a software as a service and features commercial plans. It featured both them and free accounts for open source projects earlier,[3] but the open source version was discontinued in 2013.[4] Transifex is now fully a proprietary software."

So ... no :p

Woratiklis

gauthier, For open source projects - free.

Woratiklis

Quote from: gauthier on September 28, 2015, 05:29:14 PM
Please read again my quote carefully.
Apparently you haven't studied all the plans. There is a free tariff.
"Create a new organization" -> "MY PROJECTS ARE OPEN SOURCE"(Your organization for Open Source projects will be subscribed to the Free plan)

gauthier

Sorry, I read the description somewhere, did not go further ...

Transifex seems to be for web apps, working on localization. I'm not sure it's the same purpose as Simutranslator. What we want is a tool to translate things and gather easily all the translated files to include them in the pakset. Transifex is for determining where you are and send you the right content. Please correct me if I misunderstood something ...

prissi

The translator server was probably not powerful enough for packing the whole set in reasonable time. The new server should do much better.

If translations are not imported (as DrSuperGood noted) then because the relevant obj are missing. You need to improt them first into the translator.

--
obj=menu_text
name="RAIL TRACK"
note=optional, best comment where it is used (shown in translator)
--
obj=menu_text
name=other missing text
note=...
--

note is optional, you can leave it out. But it makes easier to guess what this text was intended to be used in the first place.

Frank

Quote from: prissi on October 22, 2015, 09:42:42 AM
The translator server was probably not powerful enough for packing the whole set in reasonable time. The new server should do much better.

Quote from: TranslatorTranslator is running on Linux server, so it is case sensitive. This is especially important for image references in the dat files - image references must have same case and the file extension must be '.png'. There is 30s limit for script run time. That is enough for roughly 500 objects (depending on the image size and count).  More objects must be uploaded in separate batches. ....

zip file size ~ 2 - 3 MByte

-> time out for upload
-> time out for script run

and limit for image size