News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Where to find the latest sources package ?

Started by Iluvalar, October 29, 2015, 04:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iluvalar

Hello, I'm finally back from a long break and motivated to continue my rebalance of the game around gameplay. I think my beta http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=10700.35 was good enough as a proof of concept to show we can make much more in term of gameplay as long as we are willing to sacrifice a bit of realism :) . I'll make my first post more clear, with the resume of my changes after I can make this version correctly.

I'd need the latest packages possible to show my progress. Of course I have no intentions to steal the credits to anyone. Just to show a proof of concept to everyone.

Have a nice day.

DrSuperGood

The source code for pak128 is on the SVN, where it has pretty much always been as far as I know. The Simutrans sources are on another private SVN which is mirrored onto GITHub.

I am not entirely sure where you are trying to go with your balance ideas. A lot of what you are trying to do sounds like trying to fight broken game mechanics rather than fix the game.

For example the reason why people usually do point-to-point lines is because they get paid for Manhattan haulage distance (not realistic) rather than haulage effort taken (realistic). The reason this is required is because there is no financial viability model so factories will pay what ever it takes to get the goods heading in their direction, even if that is an infinite amount of money due to purposely poor line construction and rescheduling.

The main problem with pak128 is that some of the industries make little sense. The most notorious for this are the Construction Wholesaler and Super Market which each require dozens of 12 long trains per month to keep supplied (not possible by road).

At some stage I would like to improve the industry spawning model to be weighted per factory rather than a new chain every city milestone.

Iluvalar

Quote from: DrSuperGood on October 29, 2015, 05:40:33 PM
I am not entirely sure where you are trying to go with your balance ideas. A lot of what you are trying to do sounds like trying to fight broken game mechanics rather than fix the game.
It not fighting mechanics, it's working with them.

In my pak, the player do want to use the speed bonus because it's very good, but he can't build faster lane just to link 2 isolated factory. So he have to build always more complex and interesting networks. Not because it look better, but because it is really the only way to make the most income in the map. Also, the vehicles are balanced using a script. They are all competitive in their own speed/capacity.  It's not just a matter of knowing which one gives the best profit and building the straight line of the right speed between them.

I managed to compile the source today, why not just giving it a try once I get everything to work correctly ?