The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Just testing  (Read 11509 times)

Offline kierongreen

• Dev Team, Coder/patcher
  • Devotee
Re: Just testing
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 09:59:01 PM »
Regarding lack of development - I for one just have had a fair bit on the last few months (or years even). Yes it may be that come the winter months I might have more time for Simutrans, then again, I might not. I'm someone who is naturally drawn to improving the visual aspects of the gameplay - things that stand out at the moment for me are: bridges/elevated ways, viewports, cliffs dependent on climate, realistic climate generation on maps and industry and city placement linked to resources. I could even dig out an old patch I had to have slope views for vehicles which was rejected about 10 years ago... I couldn't tell you whether any of these would be before the end of the year even though.

It should be said that Simutrans is a mature game - we've had a playable game for years now so the incentive for changing it for changes sake is low, fixing bugs should be the priority.

Offline gauthier

• Devotee
    • SNFOS'website (in both FR and EN)
  • Languages: FR, EN, JP
Re: Just testing
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
I'm someone who is naturally drawn to improving the visual aspects of the gameplay
Some months ago I posted a report about glitches when attempting to make stations taller than one tile. I was told my source image should take into account some specifications of the display algorithm ... after several tries (and hours wasted) I was still unable to do so. In my opinion this glitch was caused by a fundamental inconsistency (it's inconsistent only in my opinion, it's a good choice in the coder's opinion) of the display code, which basically, in a local point of view, draws frontimage of tile A before backimage of tile B even if A is north and/or west to B. It's also fairly easy to find other glitches resulting of that inconsistency.

I assume this was done so to avoid other difficulties with displaying vehicles which are on two tiles simultaneously.

Maybe you could take a look ? :D