News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

(solved) Graphic bug with trucks

Started by Adeber, February 07, 2009, 10:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adeber

Hello !

Some trailer have graphic bugs with particular goods:
Screenshot with graphic bug:

It's happens with steel or grain goods but it normally works with consumer goods or coal.

But when it's steel, it works in somes direction and bug the other direction ...
Screenshot without bug:

Note: Truck used => PMNV International cabover
Note 2: Pak 128 1.4.4 used

Zeno

I can't see any graphic issue (all seem to be similar) in the pak images. You only seen it with this truck+trailer or it also happens with other combinations?

Edit: Using 101.1-2243 + 1.4.4 and everything seems to be fine...  ???

Adeber

emaxectranspoorte  said me that it also happens with high speed train ...
But to me it's only with truck+trailer and not for all the goods.

When I played simutrans 101 pak 128 1.4.3, the bug wasn't here ... it appears with this new version of the pak 128.

emaxectranspoorte

VS

Does it stay like this all the time for all of these vehicles when you buy them? (In the particular direction)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

It happens sometimes (high speed passengers trains).

VS

I tested with this train and it did not happen. If it is only sometimes, it is probably program bug, not on pak level.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Adeber

It's all the time for the same truck with the same goods ...
And I think it's the pak because the previous version didn't made this bug  :-[

DirrrtyDirk

I can't reproduce the truck problem either... wait, does it only happen when the trucks are actually loaded?
I only checked with empty ones (different image) and they seemed to work just fine...

The train looks like a known problem that can happen when a signal is closer to the depot than the train's actual length. Anyway, as far as I know the graphics haven't been changed in ages on that train - so I really think that's more likely a program than a pak problem.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

Yes, then the truck problem is with pak.

DirrrtyDirk

Actually the screenshots in the first post seem to show at least three different trucks. I'd say I see one Scania R500, one PMNV International Cabover and a PMNV-MHz Cabover 145...

So I must ask you to please re-check and make sure you give us the exact names of all trucks and trailers where this happens (please include the info of them having to be loaded or not for the error to occur.)

Remember, the more precise and detailed the bug report, the easier and quicker for us to fix things. ;)

VS

Heh, that would take the fun out of bug reports :P

But yes, please, if you can try all loaded&unloaded truck/trailer combinations (preferably in all directions)... just joking. But that is what will have to be done anyway. Current truck/trailer alignment is a mess.

DirrrtyDirk

The difference is, he already knows where the problem happens. He just needs to write it down. We'd have to check and test everything just to find it (again) and then we still have to repair it. I think it's only fair to divide this work a little. ;)

We all have a limited amount of time. And people have a choice: we can spend ours on finding the problem or on correcting it. Both will get it done, eventually. But one is going to be quicker than the other.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on February 07, 2009, 05:04:03 PM
Heh, that would take the fun out of bug reports :P

It seems is not OKAAY anymore. Isn't it?

EDIT: Sorry, it was a spelling messtake. I mean mistake.

Adeber

Oups ! Sorry guy's ...  :-[
So I'll be really clear and as exact as possible ;)

ScaniaR500 Topover - Bug (with steel):

ScaniaR500 Topover - No bug (with or without steel):

DirrrtyDirk

Yes, that looks like I can work with it. Thanks!

EDIT:
Ok, it seems the Scania's (actually both Scanias') alignment is off. The same trailer fits just nicely on the other trucks. And it happens with the Scania in combination with just about all the other trailers, too.

So, problem is located. (And in doing that I found another one.) Now comes the fixing (doing that right now).

Adeber

Hope it will help you ;)
Tell me if you want more !

VS

Thanks!

Dirk, keep in mind that there might be trailers aligned to work with that Scania, so... :-\ Anyway, fix this and the other parts will resurface in time.

DirrrtyDirk

I checked - and unless I missed one, all trailers don't fit on the Scania.

VS

I can't remember if Martin painted just trucks or some trailers, too. But as you say all else fits, so it's probably closed case.

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, changes to both Scanias are in SVN, so they should be in the next pak128 nightly (r410 or higher), due on... monday I think. Please test things then!

martin

Any chance of letting me know where the misalignment occurs?  As far as I can remember I used Napiks template for bus/truck alignment... Probably also the Volvo VN660 is misaligned. It is based on the same template.

I didn't do any trailers so you don't have to look further into that. One other thing that comes to my mind is the other Scania trucks (not the R500 and R620 tractors) and the alignment with available trailers for those trucks.

VS

The changes are rather big, up to 18 (?) pixels it seems.

DirrrtyDirk

The Scanias needed correction pretty much in all views. Some only minor (2 pixels and in only 1 direction) but most of them major, up to 12/7 pixels (or 14/2 or 0/15).

The Volvo however does not show such dramatic errors. It might need a correction of a pixel or 2 in some views but not more to be "perfect". The trailers just occasionally touch the cab - they don't overlay it like they did with the Scanias.

So far, I only used offset in the .dat files for the corrections, I didn't change any of the graphics themselves, so we can more easily play around with the values until we're really satisfied. Once that's the case, I'm planning to move the graphics by the determined number of pixels and clean up the dat again.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 07, 2009, 04:18:42 PM
The train looks like a known problem that can happen when a signal is closer to the depot than the train's actual length. Anyway, as far as I know the graphics haven't been changed in ages on that train - so I really think that's more likely a program than a pak problem.

The same bug problem also happens to me when starting this same train from the depot (without any signals near at all), but not always.

VS

Hm, the problem was originally with signals, but that just means boundary of two rail blocks. With the new (well, not new any more) system some kind of boundary is also at station ends, on crossings etc.

DirrrtyDirk

Under "normal conditions", i.e. no stations, signals, etc. close to the depot, I cannot reproduce that error.

Make sure you give the train (actually all of them) enough room to completely leave the depot. So it doesn't have to go through any signals, stations, tunnel portals (or just about anything but a stretch of ordinary track) before it is fully clear of the depot. Then this problem shouldn't happen.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 08, 2009, 10:57:40 AM
Under "normal conditions", i.e. no stations, signals, etc. close to the depot, I cannot reproduce that error.

Make sure you give the train (actually all of them) enough room to completely leave the depot. So it doesn't have to go through any signals, stations, tunnel portals (or just about anything but a stretch of ordinary track) before it is fully clear of the depot. Then this problem shouldn't happen.

Well it happened to me under "normal conditions" too.

DirrrtyDirk

Does it happen all the time? Does the train come out of the depot that way? Or did it maybe happen during some loading or saving of the game? And can you show us screenshot of the depot (and the tracks it is connected to)?

Because so far, it does not seem to be a problem of the pak, but of simutrans itself.  ???

emaxectranspoorte

I've got trains traveling both ways on two adjacent tracks. I've sent the ones with the gap problem to the depot. When I started each of them, in turn, again the gap disappears. But when one of those trains moves on track, the point where the gap was, looks like it's trying to tear apart all the way along.

DirrrtyDirk

That little jittering between first and second vehicle? That's a program bug(let). Happens on many (if not all trains/vehicles). However, that cannot be fixed in the pak. But it should disappear once the train changes direction (which kinda sucks on ring lines, since it never happens there.)