News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

r7517: impossible to build a bridge

Started by gauthier, July 24, 2015, 06:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierongreen

Reason bridges weren't allowed to be built over ways with only single height clearance is that vehicles don't check clearance themselves. Yes open water is a bit of an anomaly, I'm not sure how best to tackle that.

Ters

Quote from: kierongreen on August 09, 2015, 12:08:46 AM
Reason bridges weren't allowed to be built over ways with only single height clearance is that vehicles don't check clearance themselves. Yes open water is a bit of an anomaly, I'm not sure how best to tackle that.

Low bridges could modify the ribis, just like one-way signs do. This would only be allowed if the road below is your own or public. It seems even water tiles have ribis, though I'm not sure how the path finder deals with them. But the biggest problem is that Simutrans is unable to give the player any indication that a low bridge is blocking the path of a boat. The player can perhaps be given a warning when building the bridge, but that may be decades earlier, or a completely different player. In real life, there would likely also be a penalty for blocking public ways, including waterways, with a too low bridge without permission from a government.