News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

pak64 - Scale

Started by Sarlock, November 10, 2015, 11:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarlock

This will serve as a repository for the accumulated images that I have created for the growing pak64-Scale pakset that I am working on.  This is a personal project, designed to scale a large area at 1 tile per 10m as close as possible.  A pak64 size is used in order to have 10m wide roads, which allows for a more accurate scaling of roads and other ways as well as allowing a more appropriate number of cars per tile on the map, simulating traffic volumes to some degree.

I have been planning this work for years, and have finally gained the skills and knowledge necessary to make it happen.

DAT file: Residential House 2 - DAT file
PAK64: Residential House 2 - PAK64 file

DAT file: Residential House 3 - DAT file
PAK64: Residential House 3 - PAK64 file

DAT file: Residential House 4 - DAT file
PAK64: Residential House 4 - PAK64 file

DAT file: Residential House 5 - DAT file
PAK64: Residential House 5 - PAK64 file

DAT file: Commercial Building 1 - Gas Station
PAK64: Commercial Building 1 - Gas Station - PAK64 file

You are welcome to use these images and DAT files for your own work, in any capacity.  As the pakset begins to mature, I will include a .zip file of all of the completed .pak files.  For now, be warned that this is a work in progress and any or all of the above images may be changed in some way.  Further, this pakset is not intended for usual Simutrans playing -- the multi-tile buildings are curiosities and must be manually placed.

Some of the above could be done in pak128 format, though you would have to recombine some of the images.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Sarlock

Example use:

DrSuperGood

Is that image really simutrans!?!

If it is, it looks quite amazing.

Sarlock

It really is!  I'll release the roads later on, right now I still don't have some of the slopes done and other things sorted out.  I used Blender for the buildings, vehicles and trees and a few other things, the roads were mostly pixel drawn, with a bit of texture/shade help from Blender and other images.

I'll release the pakset later, but right now if I put it out there, many players would be totally confused on how to assemble the more complex sections (like the 4-lane road and traffic lights).

jamespetts

That's rather impressive! It has rather a Sim City 4 vibe to it. Will this be for Standard, Experimental or both?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Sarlock

Either/both.  While it is an operational pakset, it is really geared to the city creator, as many of the features require a fair amount of manual work to make them work, so it would be easily created for either Standard or Experimental.

Sarlock

TREES

These trees are done in a 224x224 pixel format but the pak files have offsets for a pak64 game

They are *big*.  To scale, but big... probably not that useful for a "real" game, but they look great.  You can use them in a pak128 game as well, but you will need to change the offsets and make your own DAT files.  The included PAK files have offsets for pak64.

ALDER TREES

Alder Tree - PAK file (for pak64 sized paksets)

DOUGLAS FIR TREES

Douglas Fir Tree - PAK file (for pak64 sized paksets)

WESTERN RED HEMLOCK TREES

Western Red Hemlock - PAK file (for pak64 sized paksets)

All trees made using Blender.

Sarlock

Rocky shoreline:

Rocky Shoreline - PAK64 file

Lilypads and Reeds - PAK64 file

To make these lilypads and reeds work the best (and simulate the above screenshot), you will also need to download the modified ground textures.  These are based on pak64.nippon and some aspects are modified for this pakset.

ground.np.pak - PAK64 file

ground.Outside.pak - PAK64 file

Of important note is that the "tropical" ground texture is now water coloured.  It is shaded to match the colours of the lilypads, above, so that you can create a seamless transition from the lilypads, which are coded as residential houses, to the water texture (which is actually tropical).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I can't wait to play with this. I've long long long wanted SimCity in my Simutrans. :D

Also, did you see Prissi talk about how many someone will extend the code to make this work automatically? (In the monthly contest thread). I hope that happens. :D

Ters

Keeping the 64 tile size with bigger graphics is something I've been thinking about for a long time, but I don't have the required graphics skills. The only downside for me is that it requires a map size of 10000x10000 tiles or more, and currently, even a 2048x2048 map is quite heavy, at least to load and save.

Sarlock

Yeah, it has been something I've been playing with for several years, trying to figure out what does and doesn't work.  Bringing the roads down to scale looks really nice.  Originally I was just going to use pak128 buildings and increase those to 2x2 tile buildings and use pak64 roads, but then I started to create an entirely new pakset using Blender graphics.

I've added the graphics for the lake, lilypads and reeds.  I've also added a screenshot demonstrating their use.

This represents a scale (roughly) model of Whonnock Lake.

I need to better represent the swampy areas to the north-west and north-east, but still have to develop graphics for those.  There is a trial version of transition woods to reeds graphics on the right side of the lilypads graphics, above, but I wasn't pleased with how they look.  I have other ideas in mind.

prissi

With alle the simcity 4 references given: Maybe it would make more sense to have a steeper angle of view when starting a new pak set?

Sarlock

TREES - PART 2

These trees are done in a 224x224 pixel format but the pak files have offsets for a pak64 game

*Note that I have also uploaded new versions the above trees as well in PART 1.

BIRCH

Birch Tree - PAK file (for pak64 sized paksets)

WESTERN RED CEDAR

Western Red Cedar - PAK file (for pak64 sized paksets)

All trees made using Blender.

gauthier

Then, you should call this pak "pak SMSC-winner"  ;)

prissi

You could now use these shoreline automatically with the new obj=ground, name=shore ...

Sarlock

Thanks!  I am watching this and Kieron's alpha-channel experiments with great interest :)  Trees would look 10 times more amazing with an alpha channel...

I have been very busy lately and haven't had much chance to work on this project, but I have nearly finished all of the ways now.