News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Norwegian "rednecks"

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, November 26, 2015, 10:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

In honour of American Thanksgiving, I'm making this post for no other reason than to show it's not just America who has rednecks. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuMENlNFvoc

Just a bit of holiday silliness. :)

Also, I suppose I should explain: There are multiple meanings of "redneck."  Originally somewhat pejorative (negative), applied to people whose necks were red from working out in the sun. It generally these days means more like "country folk" and is sometimes used pejoritavely, and sometimes used as a sort of compliment; sometimes "owned" by country folks proudly declaring themselves to be rednecks. I mean it here as light teasing at worst. :) (and it should be noted that I posted this because it's fun, so it's not intended to be an insult). (Lastly, for those who wonder at the length of my "disclaimer" - I figure in an international community, it's rarely wrong to take a little extra time to explain.)

Ters

Actually, the program depicted (didn't watch the video, since I saw the program with the giant match on Monday) is something of a MythBuster-ripoff, although it was even more derailed with destroying things after the first season.

And I'd like to point out that America can only be held responsible for redskins. Everything else was imported. Except maybe the hippies.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, go back far enough and most places are pretty much imported as people moved around. I imagine very very very few peoples living in areas today are strictly from the first group of people that settled there :)

Ters

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on November 26, 2015, 11:59:36 PM
Well, go back far enough and most places are pretty much imported as people moved around.
True, but as time passes, their culture no longer resemble their ancestors'. Many non-native North Americans still cling on to some part of their original culture, even if it's stereotyped versions of outdated customs.

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on November 26, 2015, 11:59:36 PM
I imagine very very very few peoples living in areas today are strictly from the first group of people that settled there :)
No, but USA hasn't had time to thoroughly mix everything together yet. That was my point. I haven't heard that different European nationalities have distinct parts of the cities anymore, though.

prissi

Unfourtunately this is not true. Just thing of the three quarters of the capital of Bosnia-Herzogovina, the Serbs, the Muslim, and the "others". Or the city with two quarter divided by a ravine, in Kosovo. Or closer to the heart of Europe the gipsy groups.

Vladki

city with two quarter divided by a ravine: did you mean Mostar in Herzegovina?

Many european cities had jewish quarter for ages, and recently they tend to have muslim quarters ;(

Ters

I was writing about America and their efforts at melting cultures together, not war-torn parts of Europe. Although the jews, gypsies and muslims are examples of imported cultures still holding on to their cultures.