News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Simutrans on Steam

Started by HaydenRead, December 08, 2015, 11:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

You've stated on Steam that you want Workshop integration
[...]
I'll have to get an account for some software I don't want, in order to get involved with addons? Hmmm... Not my idea of simpler!

Is Steams workshop mutually exlcusive with other distribution channels? I've happened to encounter a few addons that were only on steam, and one would have to use a steam downloader tool to get those for a standalone game. In those cases this was a result of the modder not wanting to support another channel. I strongly doubt that there are other barriers preventing distribution of the pak-sets (and other content) as we do now and the workshop.

Fixed quote ~An_dz

An_dz

I just want to point the bad logo quality, the cut borders look bad. I can send you an SVG or a good quality PNG/JPG if you want.

HaydenRead

Quote from: Spacethingy on January 08, 2016, 08:46:24 PM
You've stated on Steam that you want Workshop integration - does this mean that any .pak that gets developed and uploaded there won't be available to anyone without a Steam account? I rather think that would do fair bit of damage to Simutrans' community, especially if you pile on top of that an actual split into a new forum. I'll have to get an account for some software I don't want, in order to get involved with addons? Hmmm... Not my idea of simpler! :D
I definately don't want to create a situation where add-ons are available on Steam that are not available through the current channels.

My view on how to prevent this is 1 of 3 options:

• Create a Workshop uploader that also uploads to another location that non-steam users can access
    Issues with this method are that the file ends up being uploaded twice, and how to handle 'private' or 'friends only' mods which are later changed to public.
  • Periodically take a scrape of Steam Workshop uploads and make them available at another location
    Issues with this method include how often to scrape the addons (daily, weekly, monthly?). In this case only 'public' mod's would be made available
  • Use the non downloading Workshop settings
    (add-ons are uploaded for user voting, but can't be downloaded, then addons are added when decided on by a group (wether this would be the appropriate Pak's governing users, or some other method.

In regards to the idea of separate forums, there was concern that a large number of new Steam users could cause issues with flooding the existing forums. The options seem to be to use the existing forums, and risk issues from a flood of new users, or create new forums, or create a temporary forum that is used until the initial flood (if there is a flood of queries) is over.

An_dz - In regards to the logo, I am not sure why the clipping / cut borders have occured, it seems to be an issue with the SVG to PNG software I am using (as I tried exporting from the SVG again, and got the same cut borders). If you can provide a 512x512 PNG logo that is good quality, that would be great.

sdog

a greenlit logo, doesn't scale well however.

QuoteIn regards to the idea of separate forums, there was concern that a large number of new Steam users could cause issues with flooding the existing forums. The options seem to be to use the existing forums, and risk issues from a flood of new users, or create new forums, or create a temporary forum that is used until the initial flood (if there is a flood of queries) is over.

It'd be rather surprising if many steam users would come to this place, and register an account, instead of using the communication channels in steam.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: sdog on January 08, 2016, 10:32:40 PMIt'd be rather surprising if many steam users would come to this place, and register an account, instead of using the communication channels in steam.
Oh, it seems it's time to make the register process tougher! /s

I suppose the public on Steam has a different profile than ours and they would rather be looking for videos and the multiplayer chat (any improvement?) than using the forum or the wiki, which suit better the oldbies, which in turn can use the wiki and the forum to make content that suit better the people from Steam.

Asdfe

The greenlighting is good, but I think you should add a few screenshots from other paks. There are lots of comments on the art, and pak64 and 128 really aren't the prettiest, even if the pak is good as a default. Add in some 192comic and 128britain screenshots with a note that it is an add-on to the game, to add some variety to the page. :)
How do you know what you would know if only you knew what you don't know now?

sdog

Quote from: IgorEliezer on January 08, 2016, 11:57:01 PM
Oh, it seems it's time to make the register process tougher! /s
How much tougher? On registering you or Isaac ring at their door with a Voigt-Kampff machine?

I suppose the public on Steam has a different profile than ours and they would rather be looking for videos and the multiplayer chat (any improvement?) than using the forum or the wiki, which suit better the oldbies, which in turn can use the wiki and the forum to make content that suit better the people from Steam.
Perhaps, we ought to wait with worrying until we get actually flooded... by invading hordes of steamies who spoil our perpetual tea-party. I venture to postulate that the demographics of steam users who will try Simutrans and stick long enough with it to ask questions will not be so much different than the people who are already here.

Quote from: Asdfe on January 09, 2016, 12:37:35 AM
The greenlighting is good, but I think you should add a few screenshots from other paks. There are lots of comments on the art, and pak64 and 128 really aren't the prettiest, even if the pak is good as a default. Add in some 192comic and 128britain screenshots with a note that it is an add-on to the game, to add some variety to the page. :)
Why? We're already greenlit. No need to advertise until it is up and running. Then it should advertise exactly the pak it comes with.

An_dz

Quote from: HaydenRead on January 08, 2016, 10:10:37 PM
If you can provide a 512x512 PNG logo that is good quality, that would be great.
We have a cool square logo: http://i.imgur.com/PXzgSyu.png

sdog

Quote from: An_dz on January 09, 2016, 01:45:40 AM
We have a cool square logo: http://i.imgur.com/PXzgSyu.png
This also has the advantage that it doesn't have white background, which has too much contrast in the dark steam client.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, I check the forum daily - even if I don't always say much. I get emails for each new registration and I typically click on them to see if they're obvious spammers; so if we get an influx of new accounts, I'll be checking the forum more frequently for new posts. Might even turn back on to get email notification of new topics...

How does moderation over on Steam work? Is it something we can help with, or is it all up to Steam employees? I use Steam a little bit, but not for any online/community stuff.

Yona-TYT

@HaydenRead.
Regarding the tutorial, we must ensure that the players  find him.

It makes sense to start a window that says, "You want to start with the tutorial? Yes / No", but this does not go with the style of simutrans. Although it may be limited only to the version on Steam I guess. ???

HaydenRead

Quote from: Yona-TYT on January 10, 2016, 01:56:33 AM
@HaydenRead.
Regarding the tutorial, we must ensure that the players  find him.

It makes sense to start a window that says, "You want to start with the tutorial? Yes / No", but this does not go with the style of simutrans. Although it may be limited only to the version on Steam I guess. ???
Definitely sounds like an idea worth looking into for Steam.

Also, I have found that I can put the Windows and Linux version of Simutrans on Steam no problem, but it seems a Mac is required to upload the Mac version (and I don't have access to a Mac).
I am also currently testing the automatic uploading of the nightly versions to Steam (in the beta branch) (running 8am UTC time, as from what I can see the builds are created at 7am UTC time - once the script is all ironed out, it may be worth seeing about moving it to the server that generates the nightly builds if possible, so it is updated at the same time).

Was also wondering about getting a couple of 'beta' testers for the Steam version. (I have tested it on my own Windows and Linux machines with Dev rights...) If anyone wants to beta test the Steam version, they could PM me for the beta key - probably limit it to about 5 - 10 testers for the moment.

There are also a variety of images that I need to organize generating for Steam... Game page image, Community page image, 3 different sized 'Marketing' images, and 5+ Screenshots (of size 1920x1080 or larger).

Another issue is if someone can translate the text from the promotional video (on the store page, as opposed to the Greenlight page, separate videos can be uploaded for different languages). If it can be translated, I will upload separate versions, otherwise I will stick with the current English version. Languages that would be good to have if possible are 'English (existing), French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Hungarian, Czech'. (I will post this on the Video thread as well).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I've sent a PM. Linux on the desktop and Windows on the laptop; Steam on both.

I have installed on my desktop, and posted images of the process here: http://eiland-hall.com/2016/01/10/simutrans-on-steam/

(The link is so I don't spam the thread with images)

HaydenRead

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on January 10, 2016, 06:08:43 AM
I've sent a PM. Linux on the desktop and Windows on the laptop; Steam on both.

I have installed on my desktop, and posted images of the process here: http://eiland-hall.com/2016/01/10/simutrans-on-steam/

(The link is so I don't spam the thread with images)
Thanks for that, I see from the images that there was an issue with the EULA (I hadn't hit publish on it - it just contains the 'Artistic License').

HaydenRead

Thanks for all the input so far, I am currently looking for a Mac user who could assisting with getting the required files generated for Mac computers for Steam (I can provide the instructions - once the Steam Mac Config file is generated on a Mac, the rest can be done from Linux or Windows PC's).

I have uploaded the Mac version of Simutrans to Steam, but it is not clear if it will work without the Steam Config file (the config file records correct executable permissions etc for the file).

Also, I currently have 1 beta tester for Simutrans on Steam - Thanks Isaac.Eiland-Hall - It would be nice to get a couple more, including a Mac user if at all possible.

meme

Quote from: HaydenRead on January 14, 2016, 07:49:46 PM
Thanks for all the input so far, I am currently looking for a Mac user who could assisting with getting the required files generated for Mac computers for Steam (I can provide the instructions - once the Steam Mac Config file is generated on a Mac, the rest can be done from Linux or Windows PC's).

I have uploaded the Mac version of Simutrans to Steam, but it is not clear if it will work without the Steam Config file (the config file records correct executable permissions etc for the file).

Also, I currently have 1 beta tester for Simutrans on Steam - Thanks Isaac.Eiland-Hall - It would be nice to get a couple more, including a Mac user if at all possible.

A Mac user here :)

TheGrowl

When I saw simutrans on steam, I was genuinely shocked, can't say I'm happy about it, but oh well, it's happened, will experimental be on steam, it would be nice, since I have great difficulty setting it up successfully.
If you have a couple minutes to spare feel free to check out my website!
Here it is

Quirky?! Quirky is an old lady who gives people the finger! -Homer Simpson

jamespetts

Quote from: TheGrowl on May 28, 2016, 07:52:24 PM
When I saw simutrans on steam, I was genuinely shocked, can't say I'm happy about it, but oh well, it's happened, will experimental be on steam, it would be nice, since I have great difficulty setting it up successfully.

Simutrans-Experimental may come to Steam at some point, but more development work is needed first.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.