News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Pak128.Britain 1.17

Started by The Hood, December 22, 2015, 01:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Christmas has come early for Pak128.Britain fans! You can download 1.17 from sourceforge.

New in this version:lots of new planes (Milko/JamesPetts)
  • lots of new modern trains (The Hood)
  • new rail tunnel internal graphics (Walsonja)
  • new road stops (Aquin/Wlindley)
  • new rail signal graphics (JamesPetts/Vladki)
  • more citybuildings (Archon)

HarrierST

I am a newcomer  to this game - so please forgive my total ignorance. But I am now completely confused. Thank god it is Xmas - so I have some leisure  time to recover.  :)

Tonight, I downloaded the latest Experimental version (July 2014) which included -  Simtrans 112.3, Experimental 11.35. BritPak 0.91.

Reading this post - a new BritPak  1.17 is available. But it requires SimTrans 120.1 .

Does this mean, this new release will NOT work with Experimental, as that only supports 112.3 and not 120.1.

Please help as my brain hurts.  ???

Junna

It might work with Experimental devel version (as in, it might load, but it will lack features).

Otherwise you can download the sources and compile the pak-set yourself from

https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain/tree/half-heights

Though Petts has yet to include the new vehicles here from the standard sources.

Vladki

Just to clarify your confusion. Simutrans experimental is a fork of simutrans (standard) with extra features. So it also needs experimental pakset. The very fresh pak128.britain is for standard. The latest stable simutrans standard engine was released just a few momths ago. If you want the latest version you may search for nightly builds.

Experimental (pak and engine) was released more than year ago, and there are no nightlies. You have to compile from source.

I think in general people (specially those who are not fluent in english) think that experimental is some sort of beta, and dowload it instead of nightlies.

The Hood

To confirm, this is a release for the standard version. Jamespetts releases experimental versions in the experimental board. An interesting point you raise Vladki. Perhaps "experimental" should be renamed something like "Simutrans+" to indicate it is an enhanced, extended version of the game not the latest development version.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on December 23, 2015, 11:00:10 AM
To confirm, this is a release for the standard version. Jamespetts releases experimental versions in the experimental board. An interesting point you raise Vladki. Perhaps "experimental" should be renamed something like "Simutrans+" to indicate it is an enhanced, extended version of the game not the latest development version.

The long-term plan is to rename it to "Simutrans-Extended" to retain the first two letters of the word "Experimental", to which I have purposely abbreviated pakset names for that very purpose (e.g., "Pak128.Britain-Ex"). However, I do want it to be properly balanced before it is renamed.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Just another thought about this. Is the new version able to be included in the online installer and are there announcements on Facebook /  g+? I've done a blog post but that's all I know how to do myself.

JakeT7539

Just a quick question. Having installed the pak to the latest release of simutrans how do I change the livery on trains? Loving the pak so far

jamespetts

Multiple liveries is a feature only available in Simutrans-Experimental. This version of the pakset is designed for Standard, so having multiple liveries on these new vehicles will have to wait until I integrate them into the Experimental version of the pakset. I am not sure whether a special addon has been compiled, featuring each different livery as a different type of vehicle; I know that it is intended to be possible to do this for Standard, but I am not sure whether it has been done.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

JakeT7539

Thanks for the reply, did think it was an experimental feature. I'm on Mac so will have to wait for now

JakeT7539

Have managed to get experimental running on PC now and am still getting to grips with the new features. Did like being able to have the class 91 in either IC or GNER livery. Hope the other livery options appear soon as it is perfect for running different player run trains over the same route and not just having everything running in default liverys

Moe Ron

Quote from: JakeT7539 on July 28, 2016, 04:03:04 PM
Have managed to get experimental running on PC now and am still getting to grips with the new features. Did like being able to have the class 91 in either IC or GNER livery. Hope the other livery options appear soon as it is perfect for running different player run trains over the same route and not just having everything running in default liverys

Just a shame that it would take an enormous amount of RAM for a multiplayer game on a nicely sized map.

JakeT7539

The joys of jumping between players using "K".

jamespetts

Quote from: Moe Ron on July 29, 2016, 04:25:45 AM
Just a shame that it would take an enormous amount of RAM for a multiplayer game on a nicely sized map.

We have had a large map in multi-player running in 11.35 - my desktop PC from 2011 can manage it just fine. RAM usage is not the issue with Simutrans - it's more CPU power and memory bandwidth.

Moe Ron

Quote from: jamespetts on July 29, 2016, 11:23:33 PM
We have had a large map in multi-player running in 11.35 - my desktop PC from 2011 can manage it just fine. RAM usage is not the issue with Simutrans - it's more CPU power and memory bandwidth.

Really? What's your processor?

jamespetts

JakeT7539

Don't suppose anyone has got all the liverys working on experimental? I only seem to have IC and GNER on the 91 set and am missing the 70 and 68 to name a few

jamespetts

Quote from: JakeT7539 on July 30, 2016, 04:15:18 PM
Don't suppose anyone has got all the liverys working on experimental? I only seem to have IC and GNER on the 91 set and am missing the 70 and 68 to name a few

What version are you using? The new rail vehicles are only in the Github version at present, which needs self-compiling.

JakeT7539

Quite new to this so would not have a clue how to self compile. Useing the one that came with the download of experemental. Will be able to get an exact version number later on

jamespetts

Ahh, this would be the old version.

JakeT7539

Beleive so, how would I go about setting up the new version

jamespetts

You would need to compile the new version of Makeobj from sources on Github (devel-new branch), use Makeobj to compile the pakset from the sources on Github (half-heights branch), then compile the latest executable from sources (devel-new branch again).

JakeT7539

Will have a play about and see what I can get done

JakeT7539

No luck, first problem was not having a clue how to get the items from GitHub or how to compile them. On the plus side dos manage to get a steam railway profiting in the version I'm running

JakeT7539

Might give another try tomorrow, any tips?

Ves

If you want to compile Simutrans Experimental from sources and setup a compile enviroment on your computer, I would suggest following the step by step guide in this thread:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14254.0

Otherwise, you could try one of the builds I have compiled which is on my drop box folder. The pakset in there is a bit old currently, but there is a fresh makeobj you can use (using the steps from the previous step by step guide) to compile a fresh version of the pakset.

Dropbox folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sdzp4v1ds8jz862/AADDhXTaVtJ4EaG-LpLlQc9na?dl=0

Dont forget to read the README! :)