News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Win10

Started by tubanonymous, January 06, 2016, 04:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubanonymous

Hi--

Just wanted to mention some troubles and a solution to a problem on some machines that have win10. The windows defender app may try to block simutrans and even remove it, assuming it is malware.

Very simple fix

First, open windows defender and make an exception for the folder you will download simutrans to by going settings>windows defender>add exclusion. Now, scroll up until you see "real time protection." Turn this off (temporarily)

Now download simutrans as you normally would. Any time you are prompted by windows, say "run anyways."

Once installed, turn defender back on if you so chose

You are all good to go. Tested with online too :)

Ters

When this war reported earlier, the workaround didn't seem that complex.

An_dz

It's not much complex, but quite hidden. Win Defender on Win10 acts and doesn't tell you anything, it just deletes the file. Plus the "Run anyway" is well hidden in an almost invisible textual link to "Show advanced options" (or something like that).

My personal advice: Disable WinDefender forever or install Avira, or another AV, that doesn't do things automatically.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on January 06, 2016, 12:04:01 PM
My personal advice: Disable WinDefender forever or install Avira, or another AV, that doesn't do things automatically.

I'd rather have an and rather than that first or.

tubanonymous

Quote from: Ters on January 06, 2016, 06:46:13 AM
When this war reported earlier, the workaround didn't seem that complex.

I didn't see that thread. What was the work around?

Also, has anyone figured out how to get expiremental running on win10? I tried redownloading the visual redistributor, but I still get the missing msvcr(?).dll error

Ters

Quote from: tubanonymous on January 07, 2016, 04:48:06 AM
I didn't see that thread. What was the work around?

In http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14893.0 I got the impression that you just had to click "Allow" somewhere, not turn things off completely, even if only temporarily.