News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

SMSC January 2016: Mountain Pass

Started by An_dz, January 07, 2016, 02:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

The first SMSC of the year. Let's see who will be the lucky winner.

Rules
  • Only one picture per user
  • Topic: Mountain Pass
  • Please include a name for your image
  • Please indicate if it's from a real game or not
  • Please include a short description and mention the pak you've used
  • Picture max size: 1366x768 px
  • Available picture formats: png or jpg
  • You may use any pakset you want, but only one
  • Zoom is allowed
  • Choose one of the available licenses
  • You can upload the picture to an image hosting service like imgur or photobucket and then post link to the image here.
  • The nomination period ends at January 23rd. Then, we'll make a poll to decide the winner(s)
Prizes:
  • Compliments by the community
  • Become the cover picture of our Facebook page
  • Become the Simutrans homepage image
Terms:
You must post only images under the following licenses: CC0, CC-BY 3.0 or newer, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or newer.

The Hood

Looks like someone needs to get this contest rolling. So I made two images (I'll only enter one ultimately but I'm not sure just yet which).

Both images: pak128.Britain 1.17, not a real game.

Traversing the fells - 1937

Traversing the fells - 2016

Both images are intended to replicate the scenery of the West Coast Main Line in Britain as it heads through Northern England, though it's not based on any one location. Choice of 1937 image from the heyday of steam travel with the LMS "Coronation Scot" express, or the modern day Virgin Pendolino service.

Spenk009

Mirabell's desolate trench

The Mirabell Pass is the highest stretch of railway in the mountain range. The tunnel curves right almost immediately, so as to cut between the two peaks North and North-West of the line. We see an overly well motorized convoy heading into the depths of the tunnel and a smaller one bringing coal down from the quarry located at the other tunnel exit.

120.0 RC, pak128 2.5.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0, not a real game

Sarlock

I have an entry that I am working on and am desperately trying to complete it before the deadline... I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to finish it!

The nomination period close of January 23rd, is this at the end of the day on the 23rd and what time zone does this apply to?  ;D  If you can leave this open for another 12 hours (Jan 23, 12:00 UTC) I will have my entry ready.  Thanks!
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

An_dz

It's until I decide to close it, which generally is at night here.

Leartin

Alpenpass zu Au am See
Au am See is the last village you will encounter before the Alpenpass that starts it's steep incline in the west. Naturally if offers board and lodging for hikers and climbers, as well as gas for cars and trucks.

Not a real game
Pak192.comic Dev-Version
The composition of this screenshot is CC0. Most Elements depicted are CC-BY-SA.

Sarlock

Here's what I was able to smash together in a short time.  I wish I had more time available to do a better job, but I've been very busy lately.

Roger's Pass
Carved through a mountain pass, the highway and railway connect either side of the mountain ranges with transportation.
pak: pak64-nippon base with pak64-Sarlock addons (trees here).
CC-BY-SA 3.0, not a real game

Leartin

Seeing how my contribution is quite different to the rest: Did I even understand the term "Mountain Pass" correctly as a way over a mountain, in opposition to a tunnel through a mountain? Or is it just that Mountain Passes elsewhere are just not as steep as the typical Austrian Pass? I must say, I'm a bit confused.

Vladki

Quote from: Leartin on January 23, 2016, 07:04:51 PM
Seeing how my contribution is quite different to the rest: Did I even understand the term "Mountain Pass" correctly as a way over a mountain, in opposition to a tunnel through a mountain? Or is it just that Mountain Passes elsewhere are just not as steep as the typical Austrian Pass? I must say, I'm a bit confused.

There are similar steep passes in former czecho-slovakia. Perhaps not so high, and not so many... However a train will tunnel under such a pass, so IMHO both approaches are acceptable.

SilverHorse

Puerto de la Sierra

Spain has many mountains near the shore, so usually there are mountain passes between the inland and the coast. From Castile and Leon to Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque Country the travels were very hard, specially in winter. Recently, modern highways with tunnels have improved the routes.

These created scenario from pak 128 with Spanish Addons is a mountain pass in spring. There is a little village, cow fields and a crowded road.

Addons:

- Land Rover Santana 109 mail car.
- Pegaso 5074 SETRA-SEIDA S122 interurban bus.
- Ebro D700 and M125 goods truck.
- Pegaso 1226 oil tanker.
- Renault R420 wood carrier.
- Iveco TurboTech milk tanker.

Sarlock

QuoteSeeing how my contribution is quite different to the rest: Did I even understand the term "Mountain Pass" correctly as a way over a mountain, in opposition to a tunnel through a mountain? Or is it just that Mountain Passes elsewhere are just not as steep as the typical Austrian Pass? I must say, I'm a bit confused.

It all depends on what you're used to seeing for a mountain pass.  Mountain passes where I live tend to be in fairly wide valleys and have a long ascent and descent.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Whereas here in Florida, the most prominent "mountain" (although 5th highest point in the state) is this:

:)

Vladki

Seems like the only flood-safe place ...

jamespetts

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on January 24, 2016, 08:11:27 PM
Whereas here in Florida, the most prominent "mountain" (although 5th highest point in the state) is this:

I believe that the word you're after is "hill"...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

HarrierST

Quote from: Leartin on January 23, 2016, 07:04:51 PM

I agree with you 100%. Yours is a mountain pass. The others are mountain tunnels.

If anyone disagree's, try driving over a mountain pass (example Simplon - when it is pouring with rain [frightening]) and then through a tunnel -easy.

So as far as I am concerned - you win.   :)

Leartin

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on January 24, 2016, 08:11:27 PM

I visited a friend once in northern Germany. While in the car, looking out at the landscape, I proclaimed how strange it looked to me, lacking any mountains. My friend frowned and said that I was wrong, of course they had mountains! Like the "Krähenberge" (Crow Mountains)! So I looked in every direction, seeing nothing but flatness and asked where they would be. Turns out we were driving right over them.

The Hood

All depends on your "mountain". I would say Leartin's is an "Alpine" pass. I was aiming for a more British moorland fell look like Shap summit, the highest railway pass in the UK:

sdog

Quote from: The Hood on January 25, 2016, 07:13:06 PM
All depends on your "mountain". I would say Leartin's is an "Alpine" pass. I was aiming for a more British moorland fell look like Shap summit, the highest railway pass in the UK:

[Image]

James already said all there is to say:
I believe that the word you're after is "hill"...

:-)

Vladki

Ok, here is my mountain pass - with the famous railway loop of Telgart in central Slovakia. Featuring express train Horehronec, with the "Brejlovec" diesel engine (class 750)
Not a real game - pak128.CS (dev version) - cc-by-sa