News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

1 train enters, 1 leaves

Started by tubanonymous, January 10, 2016, 02:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubanonymous

Does the games engine allow for a function of either pre signals or stations where a train in a station will wait to exit until another train has entered the station?

Is the best work around to match monthly wait time to the amount of trains on the service?

DrSuperGood

In theory it is possible if the incoming train reserves the only block out of the station to get in. However the way you want it is likely impossible. Simutrans scheduling is very basic and does not allow for such communication between lines

Iluvalar

This would require a bit of work and extra rails, but you could make a 2 tile locomotive wait for an entire month on a 1 tile station just out of your main rail, so 1 wagon of the locomotive is blocking the way. The make it stop at another station and loop back in the same position.

This would not make exactly 1 month, but rather 1 month + the loop time but it's the best clock I can make ^^

prissi

Experimetnal has this feature. Financially it does not make sense though. Either a train is full at the desired level or not.

Iluvalar

Quote from: prissi on January 10, 2016, 10:22:36 PM
Experimetnal has this feature. Financially it does not make sense though. Either a train is full at the desired level or not.

I think it could. If the price of maintenance (or asset depreciation) having a train stopped for a brief moment is not a big deal. As long as you have the capacity to make all the trips. You may have to pay more vehicles, but the profits can be there.

If you time your trains correctly, you can avoid the situations where one train would have to stop to wait for clearance, reduce the overall traffic and eventually even reduce the total trip time that way. In some cases.

Vladki

The original request would make sense for me on transfer stations. This will reduce the waiting times and station capacity demands.

However it cannot be done by blocking the exit. The leaving train is not loading while waiting for clearance. Waiting for some % load helps a little, but not always.

Ters

I suspect that the problem will just move somewhere else, possibly in a different guise.

tubanonymous

The idea is to have trains wait in their terminal until another arriving train enters the station. The purpose is to reduce wait time for those passengers spawning at the station between trains, to reduce overflowing at stations by keeping more capacity "in the line," smaller terminals due to a large capacity train being present at all times, and to increase control over convoy spacing.

I am also working on the most accurate replica of NYC I can pull off, and that's how a lot of terminal stations work here. 

For instance, the Q terminates at Ditmars avenue into a double platform station. That train waits in the station until it's released by the station controller upon arrival of a new inbound train

I.know that simutrans doesn't have station controllers

I would like to get back into experimental but I keep getting an msvcr 100 error even after downloading the redistributable on win10

Ters

Quote from: tubanonymous on January 11, 2016, 10:50:51 PM
The idea is to have trains wait in their terminal until another arriving train enters the station. The purpose is to reduce wait time for those passengers spawning at the station between trains, to reduce overflowing at stations by keeping more capacity "in the line," smaller terminals due to a large capacity train being present at all times, and to increase control over convoy spacing.

I just don't think it is that simple. Normally, a train isn't waiting for just one other train. At terminals, passengers come from multiple trains, buses and nearby buildings, plus optionally airplanes and boats. The train might be full before the train it is waiting for arrives. Traffic patterns in Simutrans are also more unpredictable, both in terms of where passengers want to go, and how long it takes a vehicle to move from one waypoint to the next.