News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

SMSC Poll: January - Mountain Pass

Started by An_dz, January 26, 2016, 08:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the best picture?

6 (19.4%)
2 (6.5%)
16 (51.6%)
3 (9.7%)
1 (3.2%)
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: January 31, 2016, 08:33:28 PM

An_dz

Welcome to the Simutrans Monthly Screenshot Contest (SMSC) Poll

This month's topic is Mountain Pass. Please vote for your favourite picture. You can only select one. The survey will be available until 31st. The winner will get fame and glory at the Simutrans Community.

Screens Info
Traversing the fells - 2016 - by The Hood (pak128.Britain) - not a real game
Mirabell's desolate trench - by Spenk009 (pak128) - not a real game
Alpenpass zu Au am See - by Leartin (pak192.comic dev) - not a real game
Roger's Pass - by Sarlock (pak64.Nippon + pak64.Sarlock) - not a real game
Puerto de la Sierra - by SilverHorse (pak128 + Spanish addons) - not a real game
Telgart in Central Slovakia - by Vladki (pak128.CS dev) - not a real game (Submitted after deadline, but I did not close the topic)

Vladki

I have made second version without grid, just a while after you closed the topic. I play with the grid on and small (hidden) trees that I did not realize the grid is even there. Well never mind. It is there.

Leartin

Vladki, a little trick: Use Dropbox or webspace where you can define the link yourself. You can apply changes after posting, and if they are small enough, nobody would even notice :D

Vladki

OK, picture replaced. I did not notice that you linked to the original. Sorry for little cheating.

An_dz

Leartin

HarrierST

Quote from: An_dz on January 26, 2016, 10:41:33 PM
You both disqualified. :D

Does this mean Leartin loses the Moderator privalege.   :)  :o

Isaac Eiland-Hall

As Benevolent Dictator, I declare myself the winner! Wait, no, that'd be if I was just dictator. Okay, as Benevolent Dictator I force this contest to continue! And nobody loses moderator capabilities! So there! Nyah!

:)

IgorEliezer

* IgorEliezer watches the thread going on, safely, from distance.

Leartin

Quote from: HarrierST on January 27, 2016, 01:41:14 AM
Does this mean Leartin loses the Moderator privalege.   :)  :o
Nah, I got that privilege to host a few SRGCs and general concensus has it that you don't lose such privileges unless you abuse them. If I'd edit the image link in the poll to update the committed screenshot, it would be abuse of privileges. Changing the source itself is just abuse of an_dz carelessness, and I never even left any proof committed such an outragous crime. I, errr, just pointed out a security danger?

An_dz

I used to save the files to another account, but it was too time consuming.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Effort on security should match the potential motivation for abuse. The latter is quite minimal, so the former should be minimal. :)

Sarlock

On the flip side, saving the files allows them to stay active if the original link goes dead... some of the old SMSC contests have mostly unlinked images now, which is a shame as some of them were amazing and really showcase the possibilities with Simutrans.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

sdog

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on January 27, 2016, 06:13:12 PM
Effort on security should match the potential motivation for abuse. The latter is quite minimal, so the former should be minimal. :)
You underestimate the attraction of security. We could get the greatest criminal minds trying to win our screenshot contest by illegitimate means were the security only sufficiently tough to make it prestigious.

Quote from: Sarlock on January 28, 2016, 03:21:18 PM
On the flip side, saving the files allows them to stay active if the original link goes dead... some of the old SMSC contests have mostly unlinked images now, which is a shame as some of them were amazing and really showcase the possibilities with Simutrans.
This is a very good point!
Perhaps an official Simutrans account on one of the large image hosters, deviantArt, flickr, google photos?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Good point on security. :)

As far as pictures go, there's plenty of room on the server. But if a social account seems preferable, no worries.

Maybe even if I were to get in the habit of posting the entries (with the announcement of the winner) - it would involve downloading/uploading to the blog; but the images are stored as files on the server..... so it's trivial to keep them. And no harm in doing that :and: if someone wants to keep them in a social media account of some sort.

Leartin

They were stored to the simutrans graphics archieve before, which seems to be on the same server already. I was not active around the time that archive was actively used, so I don't know if it ever was widespread and well-known, or always operated under the radar.

Maybe we could tweak the attachment functionality of this forum a bit, so bigger attachments within the contest area are possible, allowing users to upload their screenshots instead of linking them. Or even add a gallery-feature to this forum... I don't know what's possibly.

An_dz

That's a good idea, Isaac probably can shed some light on what can be done.

sdog

I venture that uploads are so severely restricted because of bots using the forum as a file-server for illegitimate files?

Could this be a good use for the devotee membergroup?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Heya - just checking various things before I head to bed - been a long week, but today in particular - so will try to check in soon, but it may be a little bit - maybe.... nearly a week. Or maybe sooner. But up-to.

An_dz

Leartin

Congratulations to the Hood (since I was disqualified ;) )

The Hood

Quote from: Leartin on February 02, 2016, 09:23:28 AM
Congratulations to the Hood (since I was disqualified ;) )
Thanks, but I don't think you're really disqualified and you got way more votes than me - as in the previous post I think your terrain was more mountainous :D

Sarlock

Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Isaac Eiland-Hall

IgorEliezer

Wait a second! The screenshot I voted for won? YUSSSS!!! *shakes fist*