News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Playing with the ground

Started by Fabio, February 16, 2009, 01:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

I decided to have a look at grounds (and specially at slopes, foundations and sidewalk, if i can put some snow on it).
Here's the first screenshot: foundations.

I would like to make also an arc, like in pak96.comic, i'll try to see how does it look.

EDIT: the pic is big and it is hosted on my server. Right click and select View image to see it in its full dimension.

Dwachs

looks good!

on the bottom row, there a fundament seems to be transparent.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Alex. Brose

Much nicer than before.

Texture seems a little bit oversized, though.

Fabio

Quote from: Dwachs on February 16, 2009, 01:57:00 PM
on the bottom row, there a fundament seems to be transparent.
there is a tree on its right, i'm afraid it's a display flaw independent from the foundations

Quote from: Alex. Brose on February 16, 2009, 02:08:18 PM
Texture seems a little bit oversized, though.
well, bricks are 3 px high and a few px large. smaller than this i'm afraid no brick would be seen (anyway, they are smaller then before and much smaller than those of many other houses nearby. But once zoomed out you see only white lines and tiles look much bigger. see it full size here: http://public.gonella.eu/simutrans/simscr17.png

Alex. Brose

Well, of course my statement was concerning the full size screenshot.  ;)

As graphic artist i am sure that it'll be possible to use smaller brick textures (just try, hehe) but hey...
...It's nice. I like it.

Fabio

Ok, i'm sorry for the misunderstanding...
I'll try some more, but if in the meanwhile you can suggest me some nice textures ;)

Fabio

Some more work on foundations.

Here's the screenshot:

see it full size here: http://public.gonella.eu/simutrans/simscr18.png

Feedback is appreciated, if the quality is enough, i'll release the sources for the main pak.

sojo

"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Alex. Brose

Well done!
Carry on, fabio. :)

But listen, you'll have the pavement from the arcs on the water, if the slope was placed on the riverside.
The same procedure as shown in p96c. :D

Fabio

Further improved:

see them full size here:
http://public.gonella.eu/simutrans/simscr19.png
http://public.gonella.eu/simutrans/simscr20.png

If (or when) the quality is high enough, i'll release the sources for the main pak.

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sojo

Very very nice. But some little things.

The shadow on the darker side should be from top to bottom not from bottom to the top. Or is it a reflection from the bottom?

I think the shadow on the sunside is to long. Your shadow need a very very high sun.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Fabio

Quote from: VS on February 18, 2009, 03:40:24 PM
Oh, wow. Very nice!
Thank you! I'll post it like this, because i'll be offline for a few days and it can go in nightlies.

Quote from: sojo on February 18, 2009, 06:22:09 PM
The shadow on the darker side should be from top to bottom not from bottom to the top. Or is it a reflection from the bottom?
I think the shadow on the sunside is to long. Your shadow need a very very high sun.
I'll work to shorten the shadow on the S side.
On the E side, it is from SE to NE. On the bottom (and sometimes in the middle) there is some dark patch which comes from infiltrations and humidity in the wall.

download it here:

BudapestTRansport

Alex. Brose

Quote from: BudapestTRansport on February 19, 2009, 12:10:54 AM
no pak files just images?

See:
Quote from: fabioThank you! I'll post it like this, because i'll be offline for a few days and it can go in nightlies.
You'll have to wait. :)

Fabio

I took a short break from rail tracks, so I dug out this old project I had.

I started with the "natural" slope walls:

I quite like the rocky texture, I will try to edit it also as a rocky/alpine climate ground.

I will now try what I can do with city "artificial" slope walls, I just have a couple of ideas.

prissi

Actually same comment than in 2009 from ALex: Those rocks are somewhat too large.

NB: What could help to solve the brick problem: go for sandstone quaders.

Fabio

Quote from: prissi on November 28, 2012, 03:02:10 PM
Actually same comment than in 2009 from ALex: Those rocks are somewhat too large.

Well, actually they are not meant to be stones, but a wall cut into hard rock (e.g. gneiss) like here:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Looking at those pics, my texture seems quite in scale.

About bricks: I'll use the texture from bridges and tunnels (half the size of the 2009 attempt), it might still be a bit too big, but at least is consistent with many other objects in the pakset.

greenling

Fabio
Those Pictures are very great.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Sarlock

I really like it... looks like rock to me at the right scale.  Nice work :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

greenling

I Think we need a Timline for texture.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

sdog

The size of the rocks is quite ok i think. But there's a more fundamental problem with all such textures. Repetition. The pattern from repetition is the first thing i see, and this feels very unnatural.

mEGa

Quote from: sdog on November 28, 2012, 05:53:17 PM
The size of the rocks is quite ok i think. But there's a more fundamental problem with all such textures. Repetition. The pattern from repetition is the first thing i see, and this feels very unnatural.
I agree. I mean this mark (see joined file) is a main cause. If you delete it, the result will be better imho.
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Fabio

Thank you!

But there's a more fundamental problem with all such textures. Repetition. The pattern from repetition is the first thing i see, and this feels very unnatural.

This is a very big and known problem, unfortunately :( (same apply to roads, to a certain extent).
It would be great if we could provide 3 or 4 different variants and the program picks randomly (or with a logic which appears random to human eye).

Another problem is that top and bottom borders would look better if slightly jagged, but my test lead to nowhere: either it leaves empty spots, either is hidden (bottom) or overrides what's built on the slope (top).

But as it is now, sure it's an improvement over the old texture.
I'll try to fix the mark pointed out by mEGa, then commit this one and work on the city artificial walls.

Fabio

Ok, fixed and committed in r1056.

Fabio

Here's an attempt at building basement walls:

I decided for retro concrete texture (same as bridges, etc...) considering that
1) There is no timeline for walls
2) Average game starts in 1930, plans are to extend the timeline back to 1870
3) Concrete might be an anachronism in 1870, but bricks can be after 1960, in 1930 concrete is very fine

I want to thank James Petts for inspiration about narrow arches: i got this idea reading here and here.

I hope you like it, sure it's an improvement over old huge bricks.

wlindley

Excellent, Fabio!

a more fundamental problem with all such textures... Repetition.

Clearly, underground textures should depend on the underlying terrain, which in turn should also impact whether clay mines, coal mines, or stone quarries get generated in that area! ....Oh, wait, this wasn't Simugeology?  8)

greenling

Fabio & Wlindley
The building basement walls  looks good out, but i wish me a timeline of basements wall.
Those Walls was be build in the in the years 1750 until 1950, after 1950 comes basements in concrete.

Sarlock

Those look great!  Good choice on concrete style, a great balance between old and new.  Works just fine for me :)

Fabio

Thank you for your feedback!

In r1059.

HDomos

Found a strange error:

Notice the two basement walls under the maglev aren't the the same

Fabio

This is strange, but likely related to the game engine.

However the variety it creates is interesting, I will investigate.

Sarlock

Interesting.  Game engine choice: it's choosing one graphics for the first tile (left one) and the double height graphic for the right tile.  Probably due to the fact that the left tile has flat ground in front of it and the right tile has a slope down to the water.  We never noticed it before because the previous graphic wouldn't have shown that difference.

dekema2

Is there a way you can color ground tiles to match nearby objects? For instance I may wat grey ground around my airport taxiway as an apron, or white ground under high speed rail. Or even brown ground for dirt. Any thoughts?