News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

How to compile Simutrans (&Makeobj) on Windows with MSVC

Started by VS, October 20, 2008, 08:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max-Max

I guess you never should underestimate the power of a good nights sleep!

I started over from scratch, added the missing files to the project, copied the DLL:s and updated the paths and now both Debug and Release works!!!

Thank you for all your help, I was starting to think I was a complete idiot and should change my trade... :P
- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

Ters

Quote from: Max-Max on April 08, 2013, 04:31:47 PM
Thank you for all your help, I was starting to think I was a complete idiot and should change my trade... :P

You must be new in the trade.

Markohs

You might want to mention in your post, VS, that Simutrans allows now (from @6487)  making a simutrans executable with console support in Visual Studio, not just on minGW as it was before.

To do so just need to change project properties -> linker -> system -> Console(/SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE) . It will run sightly slower(if there are many text lines going to be displayed), it's meant for debugging and diagnosing problems.  :)

Ters

Quote from: Markohs on April 30, 2013, 02:45:06 PM
It will run sightly slower(if there are many text lines going to be displayed), it's meant for debugging and diagnosing problems.  :)

In case somebody isn't aware of it, this is an issue with the Windows console. If output is redirected to a file, there is little to no noticable slowdown, but Simutrans logs to file by itself so there is little point in that. The slowdown is the cost of seeing the text live without having to install some tail program (which usually have issues of their own).

vzrenggamani

Thanks...

OTW Download MSVC 2010 :)

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

DrSuperGood

You will need to post the errors (not warnings) if you want help.

They can be caused by any of the following...
Missing installed SVN program to generate revision.h while trying to use automatic version pulling.
Missing one or more third-party dependant libraries to link against on the search path.
One or more third-party dependant libraries are not compatible with the compile/link configuration (were built in a different way or with different version of MSVC).
Trying to build POSIX server (there is a syntax error when using MSVC).
Allowing the linker to automatically build a manifest (this conflicts with the custom manifest Simutrans uses).

prissi

The minimum version is now MSVC 2010. If you really use that old version, then the project files are no completely compatible.

DrSuperGood

It is worth noting that you can get 2015 community edition free of charge now just by creating a Microsoft account and downloading it (warning, big download). However that will throw you a new error until you turn off "sized destructors" with a hidden compiler flag due to Simutrans code being incompatible with modern C++ standards. You may also need to rebuild dependant libraries. Once you deal with such issues I can assure you that it does build and function as expected.

Ters

Mine claims to have expired. The command line tools still work, though.

DrSuperGood

Mine claims to have expired. The command line tools still work, though.
You need to register it with your Microsoft account to get the activation licence otherwise it runs as a 30 day trial. Both the account (which you may already have one) and the registration process are free and fairly quick. The licence is only valid for private or small company commercial use, with larger companies needing to buy a liscence.

VS

I added a note saying that this is outdated. I leave it to you to decide what to do with this Jurrasic-era information these days.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

I note that the attachments for the correct versions of bzlib2 have gone; is it possible to resurrect these?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.