News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

How to avoid unwanted transfer of goods

Started by Václav, May 06, 2016, 09:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

In previous games I met problem of unwanted transfer of goods - in case of very complexive networks where source factory A was not (directly) connected with processing factory D - and sources from source factory A were transferred to processing factory D, even if I did not want to.

SF A --> PF B <-- SF C --> PF D

But in current game I met a bit different problem of transfer of goods. Source factory A, processing factories B, C and shop D.

SF A --> PF B --> S D
SF A --> PF C --> S D

Before I built the second way (A - C - D), all way right. There was not any way how goods from processing factory B could be transferred to shop D. But then, part of goods from processing factory B was transferred back to source factory A - and then transferred to processing factory C - and then again to shop D.

But this have one very bothering effect - station by processing factory B was almost empty - and station by processiong factory C was overloaded. And also, train between A and C was not loaded only by sources from A, but also by goods from B.

SF A <-> PF B --> S D
SF A ==> PF C ==> S D

At this time I have solved it with using of two stations by processing factory C. So, chain is broken - and only sources from source factory A is transferred to processing factory C - and goods from both processing factories are transferred as they should.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Leartin

If there is a connection, the game will use it. You can not tell the game not to use a connection. Thus, there are two options:
1) Providing a better connection.
I'm a bit confused since you show a connection B-D, but tell there was no way goods from B would go to D - but if there was a B-D-Connection, it would be used rather than B-A-C-D. Not what you wanted to hear, just for completions sake.

2) Break the connection.
One way to do this is, as you do, building two seperated stations. But there are two other ways I know of: Change the network to have too many hops for the unwanted connection (if it's already complex enough so just one or two hops are missing) or remove the contract from the factory. Well, "removing" is not really possibly, you would have to destroy either factory or shop, rebuild it, and connect it to everything it was connected to before except the unwanted connection.

As for nonexistant options that could be put on a wishlist:
• Some option to have "weighted" stops, counting as one or several stops or hops. These would help you get over the max hop limit on the unwanted route without any additional infrastructure. They can also help to make certain connections less attractive while routing.
• An option to tell trains not to load at a stop, thus enabeling monodirectional connections. You'd tell your A-B train not to load at B, and so there wouldn't be a B-A connection. Might even help performance since it reduces the arcs between nodes on the network?

DrSuperGood

Generally in simutrans standard you want to avoid multiple routes between stops and also must be prepared to cope with the traffic paths will bring, even if unintended.

Simutrans Experimental is slightly different, the journey time means that the fastest route will be taken. That said it is not always the intended route and jams can occur which are seldom re-routed over the other route until reload.