News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Help me connect cities and factories

Started by Moose, July 09, 2016, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

How do the people who build these London maps in modern day time never increase in their timeline? So they will keep playing the game and show you these routes but they never really go beyond modern day time
They probably have set a very high time bits value. As such a year in their game might be several hours of real playing time.

Moose

Alright thanks I think that's all the questions I have
Well if you turn those bits up so the year is longer, will the trains move slower?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Also, it may be that some players have set their cities not to expand. If you poke around in the settings, you can make it so that industries don't appear and cities don't grow, if that's what you'd like. You can also use public player to increase city sizes manually - switch to public player and look for the new menu button (in most paks) that gives you a menu with some options - most paks include a button that'll increase the city size.  :)

Moose

Well thanks guy. Anything, any advise?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

In the players menu is a "Freeplay" checkbox that allows you to play without worrying about money. It can be used for test games to experiment with things. You'll still see the money - just doesn't matter if you go negative. Great learning tool.

Frankly, it's how I play - I use Simutrans as a sandbox. Set goals like "Transport all the passengers" or whatever. Or just build my highways and connect cities. :)

But also means I don't have many good tips, except:

1. Industry is easier for profits on most paks - because you set up a connection and you get money.
2. Passengers do best when you serve all of them for all of the map - serving a single city is usually not profitable. So you have to build up money and then serve enough passengers to make some profit.
3. Trains are harder to set up and not have conflicts that are difficult to resolve (sending one or more trains to depot, fixing track). Trucks are easier, but generally have less throughput.

DrSuperGood

Well if you turn those bits up so the year is longer, will the trains move slower?
Trains move at the same speed. Even industries produce at the same speed. It scales the entire month length up but actual simulation speed remains the same.

There is a bug with power paying less per month for longer months. I submitted a patch which fixed that and some JIT2 issues very early this year but it is taking a very long time to approve for some reason.

3. Trains are harder to set up and not have conflicts that are difficult to resolve (sending one or more trains to depot, fixing track). Trucks are easier, but generally have less throughput.
Trains are not that hard and usually more profitable than roads.

Roads are practically unusable in pak128 because of the huge industry production quantities. For example a single road might be loaded to capacity just delivering 1 of multiple raw materials for a factory.

Moose

One more thing I'll run a 1500*1500 map and everyone once and awhile the game will lag for 3-8 seconds than it works fine again, any way to fix this?

DrSuperGood

One more thing I'll run a 1500*1500 map and everyone once and awhile the game will lag for 3-8 seconds than it works fine again, any way to fix this?
By "lag" I am guessing you mean that it will freeze with 0 FPS for that time period. This sounds like auto save. Try disabling auto save.

Saving in Simutrans is very demanding due to the complexity of the state. A 1500*1500 map has a lot of state on it and can be several megabytes when compressed. Since compression is demanding that can take several seconds. This matches the problem you are reporting so I recommend disabling auto save. Be warned that without auto save there is no automatic backing up of progress you make meaning it is entirely your responsibility to save regularly while playing. Although the developers strive for 100% stability, there are still the odd obscure bug which can cause a crash which forces you back to the last save made. I personally would recommend keeping autosave active but maybe changing the format to be less compressed so that it saves faster but with a larger file size.

Moose

Why is auto-save faster than save? So should you save? Or should you let auto save do it?

DrSuperGood

Why is auto-save faster than save? So should you save? Or should you let auto save do it?
There are a variety of different reasons. One is that the compression used by auto save usually is more light weight than the compression used by a normal save. This trades save size for save speed which is fine in an auto save situation.

Moose

So let auto save do its thing when playing the game. But when exiting the game save and then leave?

DrSuperGood

So let auto save do its thing when playing the game. But when exiting the game save and then leave?
That is basically how to do it. If auto save is set for every 15 minutes or so then even if the game does crash you will lose very little progress.

Moose

Anything else you think I should know?

DrSuperGood

Anything else you think I should know?
Speed bonus is in percentage bonus per 10% maximum speed difference with the speed bonus speed for the involved transport type. Actual speed does not matter, only the convoy calculated maximum speed and the maximum speed of the involved lines.

Giziar

Quote from: Moose on July 16, 2016, 03:36:13 PM

My Map is slightly larger than that (4096*4096) and I experienced on my previous PC a lag whenever: 1) whenever a new month started (lag was almost half a gameday long) and 2) whenever a new season started.
Since I replaced that 4 year old PC with a monster new PC I have no experience of lag whatsoever.

</late reaction>

Moose

Quote from: Giziar on July 19, 2016, 04:57:20 PM
My Map is slightly larger than that (4096*4096) and I experienced on my previous PC a lag whenever: 1) whenever a new month started (lag was almost half a gameday long) and 2) whenever a new season started.
Since I replaced that 4 year old PC with a monster new PC I have no experience of lag whatsoever.

</late reaction>
My computer is quite old, it's a PC I would say it's approximately six years old so... Idk uses window 10 thou
Should probably get a much better computer. Anyways have you made a large successful hub?

Giziar

Not really having a huge hub thanks to the large map. More using a large network of intercity lines.

See picture for the transport network of the most populated area of my game; it's a combination of intercity trains, local trains & buses.
It's the starting area of my save and it's about 1% of the size of the total map and hosting more than 16% of the total population.

Moose

Any success with airports? Haven't tried passenger I just send mail using aircraft

DrSuperGood

Any success with airports? Haven't tried passenger I just send mail using aircraft
Passenger aircraft are so good in pak64 and pak128 that servers often ban them. Once you get the carrier jets you can plonk a huge hub in the middle of the map and air all passengers in the entire world there. For pickup abuse disjoined stops to cover entire cities with a single stop. Result is insane profits, to the point one might as well not bother playing.

Out of principle I try to avoid passenger aircraft now. Instead I use high speed trains, which also make insane profit but at least I can justify it with spending 30-60 minutes making the line. As opposed to using an airport which takes 5 minutes to set up both ends.

Moose

Quote from: DrSuperGood on July 19, 2016, 10:56:59 PM
Passenger aircraft are so good in pak64 and pak128 that servers often ban them. Once you get the carrier jets you can plonk a huge hub in the middle of the map and air all passengers in the entire world there. For pickup abuse disjoined stops to cover entire cities with a single stop. Result is insane profits, to the point one might as well not bother playing.

Out of principle I try to avoid passenger aircraft now. Instead I use high speed trains, which also make insane profit but at least I can justify it with spending 30-60 minutes making the line. As opposed to using an airport which takes 5 minutes to set up both ends.
Reason I ask is because I want to do a model city, free play in other words

Giziar

I am using a few air routes but restrict them generally to far away attractions and factories/mines. A few cities near the edge of the map who are separated by a large lake from the rest of the map are also served by planes. 2 reasons why only so few air routes: 1) I like using trains & 2) airplanes in the 1930s don't have a lot of capacity

Moose

Well I'll be making a model city, I want to do a blogish thing with it, but it's not career so may be boring options? Well I'll start the game with 1.5bil so you guys think I should make a blogish thing or no? Can't decide :/

Isaac Eiland-Hall

In my experience, few people read blogs.

In my personal opinion - I see a lot of "Let's Play" videos where people just starting out play the game. I don't watch them.

My advice: Play the game. Get used to it. Experiment. Understand it. Then start planning your big model game.

That all being said, if you want to do a blog type thing - they can be very fun. Not only to do, but to read. You can post a thread here on the forum with your updates (as well as somewhere else if that's your plan - either or both).

The biggest problem on the internet is starting a project and losing interest.

That all being said... have fun. :) That's most important.

Moose

Instead of making of making cities progress slowly I made them go super fast, will this  cause severe lag in big maps?

DrSuperGood

Instead of making of making cities progress slowly I made them go super fast, will this  cause severe lag in big maps?
Possibly, especially if you end up with like 100 million people on the map. A few million is fine and should cause no problems.

Moose

Um.. I built these aircraft they are sitting on the run way saying waiting for clearance help?!
Found out why
NOTE: DO NOT place lots of aircraft at the same time

Moose

Help, again. Server not responding: here is what I did opened properties on one of the two copies of simutrans and added at the end server 13353. The I open it and made a map. Next I went to the other copy and launched it, hit play online entered my IPV4 address than I hit space, and typed in 13353 and I hit query server it said server did not respond, I'm not good at this so please you English lol thanks!

DrSuperGood

Help, again. Server not responding: here is what I did opened properties on one of the two copies of simutrans and added at the end server 13353. The I open it and made a map. Next I went to the other copy and launched it, hit play online entered my IPV4 address than I hit space, and typed in 13353 and I hit query server it said server did not respond, I'm not good at this so please you English lol thanks!
If both Simutrans clients are running on the same computer then use the local loopback IP address, 127.0.0.0.
If the clients are running on different computers on the same network then use the local network IP address of the server, eg 192.168.X.YYY.
If the clients are running on different computers connected via the internet then you need to use the internet IP address of the server computer. If the server computer is behind a Network Address Translator (NAT) then the NAT must be configured to forward incoming TCP traffic on the selected port to the server's local IP address.

IgorEliezer

Just to let people know: I changed the topic title from "Help" to "Help me connect cities and factories".

Please, use meaningful topic titles. Make your topic titles descriptive so that other people with the same problems can find it later. Thanks.