News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Setting speed penalty for going up hills

Started by River, July 12, 2016, 09:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

River

I have been changing the pak config file from pak64 exp so the passengers become profitable., but i was wondering if i could also change the penalty for vehicles to go up hills of any settings that influence this.

I completely agree there should be a penalty and that it should increase if you go up longer on a hill (like 2 tiles). But atm any hill will put them at minimal speed, this goes to far for me as you are required to go up a hill here and there.

Junna

"But atm any hill will put them at minimal speed, this goes to far for me as you are required to go up a hill here and there."

That really shouldn't happen? What's the context?

River

i'm working with the pak64-exp in 1930 with a road good for the max speed of the bus. i did changes alot of the settings in the config file

Vladki

Isn't it just that the vehicles are underpowered, so that they struggle going uphill? I notice similar problems in pak128.britain - buses and trucks crawling at 1 km/h if there is a stop right before the hill, or two hills in row.

River

It is possible with the early times maybe. but i donno how to change that .

jamespetts

There is not a general setting for a "hill penalty" in Simutrans-Experimental: rather, the interactions between vehicles and gradients are determined by physics. Each vehicle has parameters for power and (more importantly for hills) tractive effort. These are set in the vehicles' .dat files.

You can, however, apply a global modifier to all vehicles' tractive efforts by setting the global_force_factor_percent parameter in simuconf.tab. Setting it in simuconf.tab will only affect new (not existing saved) games, but this can be changed in running games using the advanced settings dialogue. I am not sure whether any shortcut key is defined for that in this pakset, however.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

River

I found some time to check it out. But i barely noticed a difference between 0 and 100 when a truck is fully loaded. Let alone with a trailer.

any chance that the distance per tile effects this aswel?

jamespetts

Was this with 11.35 or was it with a self-compiled version from devel-new? In 11.35, you need to use global_power_factor_percent instead, as power and force are not separated for the global modifiers in earlier versions.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

River

Thanks, This one works for me. I have to push it to a 105% but i got the desired effect for a loaded truck.

I'm using 11.35 yeah.