News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

*.Simutrans.com is down

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, September 05, 2016, 12:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I don't know why. I've checked a bunch of things on the server. If I manually edit my hosts file, it responds fine. Otherwise, it's down.

As far as I can tell, it may be something at the registrar level. Prissi is looking into that side of things.

Meanwhile, I've registered simutrans.space and parked that on simutrans.com. I also added forum.simutrans.space to forum.simutrans.com so the forum runs here.

I don't know how long this will take to resolve.

Subdomain folks: If you want me to park the .space on top of your subdomain, lemme know which subdomain here and I'll gladly do it.

Questions/comments/etc? Feel free to reply.

whoami

It seems that nothing is wrong with your server, it is a DNS problem. Simutrans.com is not register in .com, which happens e.g. when you forget to pay the regisitration fees. Might be related: http://www.verisign.com funktions are inoperative.

C:\Users\mo>nslookup -type=soa simutrans.com
Server:  fritz.box
Address:  192.168.0.1

*** simutrans.com wurde von fritz.box nicht gefunden: Non-existent domain.

C:\Users\mo>nslookup -type=ns simutrans.com
Server:  fritz.box
Address:  192.168.0.1

*** simutrans.com wurde von fritz.box nicht gefunden: Non-existent domain.

mo>nslookup -type=AAAA simutrans.com
fritz.box

rans.com wurde von fritz.box nicht gefunden: Non-existent domain.

mo>nslookup -type=A simutrans.com
fritz.box

rans.com wurde von fritz.box nicht gefunden: Non-existent domain.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: whoami on September 05, 2016, 12:57:12 AM
It seems that nothing is wrong with your server, it is a DNS problem.

I agree, but until we get it fully resolved, I'd rather not say there's not also something wrong on the server, even though by now I have spent hours trying to make sure there's not. :) But I do firmly believe at this point that it is not a server issue.

Also, welcome to the new server - I moved from VPS back to a dedicated. That's a discussion for elsewhere, though. heh

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 05, 2016, 01:06:55 AMAlso, welcome to the new server
YAY! Good luck.

(replying just to let Isaac know I'm aware of the issue)

prissi

I confirmed my ownership (after it has been manually transferred) and simutrans.com is working regular now again.

Sorry for the trouble. It seems when I tried to transfer the domain ownership from Timothy to me a two years ago the old email from Timothy was not exiting anymore. So any attemp to transfer it to me never went through. Changing the nameserver last week finally triggered suspension from ICANN, as the confirmation of it never was confirmed (which is usually in palce to prevent hijacking of domains).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'll wait a day to change the forum back over - I think .space has propagated - so anyone using .com can get to the forum and any page reloads will go to .space. Meanwhile, there could be some who couldn't access for another day or two; so probably safer to keep it until Wednesday morning or so.

Also, the strangest reply I've received to the newsletter I sent out:

QuoteAha you're Simutrans !!! The **** which in Panama City Hide must. OK
What do you want money to .... Look at the Panama Papers.
Simutrans is take a free game and not fraudulent.
Moreover, not only the FBI Europolund I but after you too!
So running.

I a Fan, not from you OK

I assume they're trying to kid around. That's how I'm choosing to read it, anyway. heh. They got the wrong Panama City for the Panama Papers, but.... okay. lol

edit: Oh, the censored word referred to me as a posterior; behind; buttocks. lol.

Also got this one:

QuoteDear friend and fan of Simutrans,

I thank you very much for sending me this email, because I was terribly worried about the incomprehensible and sudden disappearance of the only realistic simulation of transport, free and flexible out there on the Net today *:-& Malade!! ... I began torturing my mind for how to replace it with other games that do not have the same qualities*:( Tristesse ... !!

Also thank you for the site restoration and community forum*;) Clin d'œil !! ... Please do not hesitate to send me new reassuring mails about the progress of your work*;;) Battements de cils !!...

Cordially,

[redacted]

isidoro

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 05, 2016, 06:13:55 PM
Aha you're Simutrans !!! The **** which in Panama City Hide must. OK
So running.

I a Fan, not from you OK

That gibberish sounds familiar to me...  :police:

An_dz

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 05, 2016, 06:13:55 PM
QuoteAha you're Simutrans !!! The **** which in Panama City Hide must. OK
So running.

I a Fan, not from you OK
Well, you don't have a fan Isaac :D

DrSuperGood

That gibberish reminds me of all the gibberish Blizzard gets posted on its forums every time their is a minor server outage. Usually it involves a lot more profanity though.

It is also possible that guy is suffering a bad case of malware or bad ISP advertising. When he tried to access the broken Simutrans domain it redirected him to some sort of pay page.