Previous topic - Next topic

Asdfe

v3: here

Sources: here

Lo and behold! Another update! Features include:

New road vehicles, trams, and ships
Readme and license information
Industry changes

Here's one of the new vehicles: A bulldozer! Available from 1920 on, it can pull loads of materials but is slow. Best for high capacity routes over short distances, such as between industries close together, or to transfer between stations.

As for industrial changes, the biggest one is a new industry I added: The Port! It sits on the water like an oil rig, and is meant to represent the export market in the US for grain, timber, and coal. Ideally, these should spawn on bodies of water that touch the maps edge, but occasionally they spawn in strange locations.

Additionally, I've added a readme going over some of the open sourced sources used in this pak. Since this pak uses open source materials, it, in turn, is open sourced, which is why I have attached a download link for the sources.

I realize that I have been releasing updates at a frenzied pase. (First post 2 weeks ago, and 4 versions since.) However, I think it is best for me to take a break from the project for awhile. The pak is playable and mostly balanced, but perhaps a bit too easy. Also, some of the vehicles do not have company colors. I intend to eventually get back to this pak, and when I do these things will be the first projects I tackle.
How do you know what you would know if only you knew what you don't know now?

VS

Heya! Thanks a lot for working on this, it's a nice initiative - an US setting is always sought after, across many similar games, I understand :)

Just a quick note, are you aware of the copyright / license status(es) of the various items? I think nothing really prevents you from using ottd graphics and others together, but I'd advise for recording somewhere (in dat files? copyright field? comment?) the author and license of the material, so that further "reusers" will honour the original license terms. Personally I would recommend adding another "tile" to the right of all source pictures with that info, too. People sometimes take just the graphics, nothing works better than informing them right there. That way you'll have all your bases covered when someone says "but licenseeeeeeeeees!".

Anyway, good job keeping this up :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Asdfe

I've read the licenses on the newgrfs used, and they are the same (partly because they come from the same set of people). I've given credit to individuals when possible in the copyright field. (ie, bulldozer from heqs is credited to "andythenorth and others" as the readme for heqs identifies him as the main creator.

The readme included with the pakset lists the newgrfs I used, but I don't think I put a copy of said readme with the sources,  which I should have done in hindsight. Presumably most people who download the sources will download the pakset, but the sources are a mess, honestly. I'll do some labeling for the next version, and send a PM or two on the TT-forums to make sure everything is alright.

VS

Let me put it that way:
1) The licenses allow what you do, so no problem there. (I didn't check - they better do! :P )
2) Stating the [different] licenses and authors clearly should solve any potential formal complaints.
3) At that point, asking people for permission is not required per se, but usually it's courtesy to still ask. Judge yourself if asking is courtesy or trouble.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

A lot of OpenTTD stuff is GPL. Not a problem per se, but that (as well as the simutrans stuff from standard) requires the "source" with the correct licences. So maybe a GPL folder an Artistic license folder and so on may be a way out?

Asdfe

I've taken down the download of the sources for now. Sources will be provided on request I for the time being. I've looked into the background of the graphics, and I've put together the attached text file explaining the original source of each graphic.