News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Missing some mail (Post) vehicles

Started by Mariculous, November 21, 2016, 01:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

Hey Community!
I noticed that there are just a few mail vehicles included in pak128.
For road vehicles it's fine for interurban transports but for city mail there are'nt any mail cars after ~1960. You have to decide between outdated mail cars or mail cars that are too fast and expensive for city mail transport.

I also noticed the same for trains:
There are no mail cars capable of 200 km/h when the 103 gets released in 1971 so we have to choose if we don't want mail on our intercity lines or if we just travel at 180 km/h until 1991
For high speed trains the situation is a bit better: From 1978 to 1981 we can't transport mail at high speed for 3 years. 3 years aren't that long (just 3 realtime days on my network game) so it's not a problem and from 1991 until we don't want to use 280 km/h trains anymore, we do have the mail cars for the ICE.

However, in 1989 the first 300 km/h train appears and we won't be able to move mail faster than 280 km/h until 2011.

For lower speeds we do have the ducks that cann all cayrry mail (thank you Zeno).

I'm also a bit confused of the 160 km/h "Cannonball Postwagen" that gets released in 1944. The first 160 km/h loco is released in 1966, so I feel there is something missing for these years or is the "Cannonball Postwagen" just able to operate at 160 km/h because there would be no mail for the deltic otherwise?

When in 1939 the first high speed trains are released, well 160 km/h (I know ingame it can just travel at 160 km/h) was "high speed" that many years ago, there is also mail missing for that speed.

Maybe there are also some years earlier on where mail cars are rare but I'm normally starting my games between 1940 and 1950 so didn't have a close look at the timeline before 1940.

When adding addons for pak128, the situation is even worse. Nearly all of those SNFOS Trains don't have mail cars, I guess for reasons of realism, and the ENASSA multiple units also don't have mail cars.
Don't get me wrong, I really like both, SNFOS and ENASSA addons, however, these can't fix the mail problems on my server.

So I'm wondering why there is such a lack of mail cars. Is it for realism reasons, for game-play reasons or is it just because nobody wanted to create mail cars yet?

gauthier

The lack of vehicles can only be fixed with people contributing to the pak. Post transport not being the priority for most players, I doubt it will be fixed shortly :( However I agree with you that the timeline for some goods is not consistant and deserves a little bit of attention. It's in my loooooooong term todo list :p

I think that the Cannonball Postwagen has a high speed limit to be used with later locs, such as the Deltic indeed.

The few mail cars available on SNFOS are made after realistic luggage vans, they are more a pretext for reproducing these vans than a urge to have mail cars. There are probably other luggage vans that can be turned into mail cars ... once again in my long term todo list, sorry :/

Mariculous

No problem. I was just wondering if the reason for the lack of mail cars is just because there were just a few mail cars contributed or if there is any other reason for example a decision of the pak128 team to only include realistic cars. However, in reality the ICE mail car also doesn't exist.

Because there are that few mail cars for pak128, I'm repainting passenger cars to (mostly fictional) mail cars so there will be some more mail cars for pak128 soon.
However, I think I'm not pretty good in repainting things, so I don't know if these will fit the style of pak128. In fact, I never used gimp before.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

A few years ago, I managed to make some roads. They weren't all that good, but they might have helped inspire some others. So they might even be helpful even if you don't end up liking them. :)

Mariculous

Would be nice if a pak128 maintainer could have a look at the mail cars I recently created.
These can be found in the images of this post: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15777.msg156107#msg156107

Would be nice to hear if these could help filling the gaps or why these don't match the style rules of pak128.