News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Choose signals (modify)

Started by Sarrus, March 05, 2009, 10:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarrus

Hi.
Few words about choose signals:
I like to create large passanger network with big hub stations, and smaller ones. Local trains stops on small stations, and wait some time for passengers. Express trains only passing trough. In real life, local trains waits at stations letting pass IC,Express etc. In Simutrans I must to build special track for trains only passing trough, or build station on side tracks. Choose signal makes another problem. I have to build separate track for trains which stop at station.

The reason I writing this post is to describe how work choose signal of my dreams ;):
3 Ideas:
1) Choose signal allow to reserve tracks only to next station, even if that station is not scheduled.

2) Another choose signal aborts track reservation

3) Special signal (something like end-of-choose) that don't allow to reserve track after it and finish reservation

1 and 3 solution allows express trains pass by choosing free platform, and not stopping at it

gerw

IMHO, this is already possible by using end-of-choose-signal and set a waypoint after the station for passing trains.

Sarrus

I will try. Thanks

EDIT:
OK so my express trains now do not try to reserve all way to next scheduled station. That's plus. But  still waiting at choose signal for free platform on their way, even if there is four empty platforms which can be used. The solution with waypoint brings me another idea:

Choose signals works for waypoints too. I mean if train at choose signal has waypoint on its schedule, then try to reserve tracks, and try different ways to that waypoint. This may bring many new possibilities. Pass trough station choosing any free platform for example :D.

What are you think?

prissi

The choose signal do not work this way. They try tiles until a certain station is reached. It would be easy to extend this for waypoint but it would lead to errand trains stuck somewhere just to get to some waypoint like in OPenTTD. A properly designed network can do without choose signals. JUst do not built stations on your through line but only left and right to it would allow any express train to pass through. Curves would slow it down anyway.

Sarrus

Quote from: prissi on March 05, 2009, 04:14:47 PM
Just do not built stations on your through line but only left and right to it would allow any express train to pass through.
I'm building stations this way right now Prissi. Sometimes I have to rebuild station, to let trains of very new express line pass trough.

Quote from: prissi on March 05, 2009, 04:14:47 PM
It would be easy to extend this for waypoint but it would lead to errand trains stuck somewhere just to get to some waypoint like in OPenTTD.

I didn't play OpenTTD (only TTD ;)), and I don't know this game trains behavior . I think that trains wouldn't stuck if look out placing waypoint after choose signals, just like placing choose signals now.
Don't misunderstand me. It's not a critical problem of mine. Just consider possibility include waypoint in track reservations. Thanks for your attention.

Thanks again gerw for your reply. It will be much easier planning big traffic network for me now.

Regards.
Sarrus.