News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

SRM Drafts and User Feedback

Started by Ormac, March 06, 2009, 12:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ormac

Simutrans Reference MaterialDrafts and User Feedback

Following a few comments about the current style of Game manuals in general. I've considered reducing the number of images in the next Reference Manual (3.08).

I would like to carry this reductions over to the next release of the Starter Guide in the future as well so I would like some feed back about these changes.

I've included a draft PDF of Reference Manual 3.08 for you to look over and judge.

Draft Reference Manual 3.08 (9.3 MB) [Updated 14 July 2009]

currently The Images I've removed

All Map Rotation Images (4)
Finding Help Screenshots (2)
Pak Selection Window (1)

and the bit I'm requesting feedback over

Merging Rail/Road and Tram Networks into One entry of four images (removes 7 other images)

This is an Early Draft but Please Tell Me What you Think as an Experienced User if I'm making too big a change for Newer Users.
-- Edited
I've updated the Draft to 308e.

This will be the final draft before the release of 308 final.

Final release should be in two weeks.

Ormac 8)
Simutrans Reference Material Blog SRM very wet ink
Download Simutrans Reference Material from http://docs.simutrans.com

Combuijs

QuoteMerging Rail/Road and Tram Networks into One entry of four images (removes 7 other images)

I think you refer to illustrations 47-50?

First of all subtitles are wrong.

Hmm, by showing only rail network possibilities users might miss the fact that you need depots for road networks too (for experienced users this is a no-brainer, but beginning users that start with a road network will wonder how in earth they get things going).

A statement that trams can use the railnetwork too might be useful, and the fact that you need to electrify the tram-depot to get any trams is another thing worth mentioning.

I think I would add one picture with the basic road-ingredients and one with the basic tram-ingredients.

In general I think one picture can tell more than one full text manual (though when I write manuals I usually do the opposite  ;) , it's so much easier). I know they take up a lot of (disk/download-)space, but they make the manual more readable and understandable.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Ormac

Maybe I should have mentioned this is a Very, VERY Early Draft.

I was going to replace the images to reflect the two or three transport modes being represented.

I'll add the extra details you've outlined.

But it may not be worth performing this merging when I update the Starter Guide at a time after Reference Manual 3.08 is actually released.

Ormac 8)

Ormac

Just made the last draft available for those who are interested (updated link on first Post

I've added

Extension Buildings
Comments by Combuijs
Config File

Updated

New Map (has rivers now and a few of the parameter limits [102 or 103])
Mini Map

Hope to improve

Mini Map
Airports

Before release of final 3.08 in two weeks

Ormac 8)