News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

City electrify

Started by Sarrus, March 07, 2009, 01:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarrus

What are You think about deliver power to city? I do not have complete project, but I thinking about this:

1) placing transformer station next to any city building will bring electricity to whole city
2) electrified city is more likely to grow
3) power consumption depends on city size

jamespetts

I think that this is already (at least partially) implemented - the city growth algorithm in the code has a parameter for electricity consumption.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

gauthier

ok but if we have to electrify townhall xD

Fabio

Quote from: jamespetts on March 07, 2009, 03:16:32 PM
I think that this is already (at least partially) implemented - the city growth algorithm in the code has a parameter for electricity consumption.
Quote from: gauthier on March 07, 2009, 07:44:29 PM
ok but if we have to electrify townhall xD

really? we CAN really electrify a town hall? GREAT!!!

gauthier

eeer no no no I don't know, I don't think so it was just a joke lol !

colonyan

Quote from: jamespetts on March 07, 2009, 03:16:32 PM

ehmm really?
How do we technically electrify the city? I hope there's some indication at city hall window about this...

jamespetts

Colonyman,

funny you should mention that - the normal Simutrans code does have city hall graph for "electricity", but it is disabled in the code. In Simutrans-Experimental, I have re-used it for congestion (since it seems unused). It may well be that electrification of cities is not fully implemented - but it is there in the growth algorithm. I may well restore the "electricity" setting and add a new value for congestion now that I am diverging the save game format for Simutrans-Experimental.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

colonyan

@jamespetts
Thanks for quick and precise answer. I will look forward on it.

Oh by the way, my name is not mistyped. its just colonyan. m isn't there :-)

jamespetts

colonyan

Wouldn't it more natural to "Suppose" there is invisible public power grid?
(Invisible because this is transportation main game, nor player should build it because its again,
not a public infra building game)

But,

-All cities requiring electricity supply to growth to occur
(not as an additive factor, but as mandatory factor(you need light and water to grow a plant))
-Game engine adding power plants as total map population increases

could add challenging material to current game flow.
Thus I strongly support electrifying cities.

jamespetts

Cities requiring electricity to grow would not work for those who like to start their game in the 19th or even 18th century...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I suppose it could be that there would be some sort of introduction date to this function... Railroad Tycoon II was good about this sort of thing -- early in the game, you could ship milk directly to cities; after a certain date, dairies started to appear; after another date, milk could only be shipped to dairies...

But I'm not certain it fits with Simutrans... Electricity has always seemed to be sort of an afterthought or compromise.

(OTOH, the same could be said for freeways, and yet they have slowly become more useful with time...)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: fabio on March 08, 2009, 07:50:19 PM
really? we CAN really electrify a town hall? GREAT!!!

really? we CAN make a town hall ugly? NO!!!  >:(

* Architect doesn't approve it *

I think, IMHO, it would be more acceptable if you just place a transformer plant anywhere within city limit.

Quote from: jamespetts on March 26, 2009, 10:47:48 PM
Cities requiring electricity to grow would not work for those who like to start their game in the 19th or even 18th century...

Neither "oh sky!" nor "oh hell!". Cities could grow faster with electricity, i.e., electricity would not be mandatory to a city to grow, but would help a city to grow.

As we all know, electricity usage appears in 19th century, as well world population started to grow really faster between 1800 and 1900.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth

colonyan

There is one reason why I prefer mandatory power plants supplying over growth speed control.
This game allows player to fast forward the game. Plus, we already have both
industry and pass/mail to control the city growth.

jamespetts