News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Time interval with telegraph single line working - trains slow?

Started by AP, December 17, 2016, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Am trying to figure out TIWT single line working. After some initial difficulties, my main issue is that trains in 1850 don't want to go faster than 50kph, even when they are capable of 90kph+. This is on a signalled mostly straight track, capable of carrying the weight of train, the train is not heavy.

Each passing loop has a distant, home, and starter signal in each direction, and a one way sign on each side of the loop. The home and starter signals are of the "slotted post stop signal" type.  My rather long line at present only has 4 trains on it (all the same).

I wonder if the  "trains go really slowly if another train passed recently" feature is behind the problem.

Or have I missed something?

jamespetts

If a train in the time interval working method (with or without telegraph) is limited to below its normal maximum speed, this will be because the last signal that it has passed was at caution. A signal will be at caution either if it is a signal protecting a junction (other than a station signal) or if another train has passed it within the last 10 minutes. If the trains are travelling slowly other than in one of these two circumstances, this may be a bug which I would have to investigate, and a saved game in which this can be reproduced reliably would help me greatly.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

It appears that in some cases, station signals are inexplicably only changing starting signals to "caution" rather than "clear". In other cases- as other thread - they are letting trains pass them at danger.

I wonder if the caution is deriving from the recent passage of a train *in the other direction* on the same single line?

I've uploaded a save, and a series of photos detailing the problem(s), to the below linked dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aliu0f6inqzk9ke/AADfDxp-18kGVxJQ5CBf4-8Da?dl=0

jamespetts

I am looking at your map now - it may take a long time to reproduce these problems, but one thing that I notice is that you seem to have multiple station signals in a number of stations: this is incorrect: a station should have only one station signal per pair of directions (e.g. East/West). More than one station signal will only be needed if there are two lines crossing at right angles at the same station. Does removing all but one station signal per station resolve this issue at all?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

I think I changed the starter signals from stop to station signals in an effort to solve the problem. Rather than they being the cause. Will retest though.

All the problems described happen immediately you restart the save if you follow the train from Kincardine. As per the jpgs I uploaded.

jamespetts

I have pushed two separate fixes for the signalling in the last few minutes. I am not sure that this will fix all of the issues, but I should be grateful if you could let me know how it works now.

Incidentally, I notice that you often place starters beyond the ends of platforms: starter signals should be placed on a platform tile for them to be recognised as starter signals, holding the train in the station, where it can continue to load, until the route is clear.

Edit: It is difficult to tell what is caused by a bug and what is caused by the use of multiple station signals with the current arrangement.

Edit 2: The arrangement of signals that you have will always cause trains to travel slowly on most of your single line sections, as the trains will have last passed a signal protecting a junction (the exit from the passing loop), and signals protecting a junction will always be in either danger or caution, meaning that trains passing them can only travel at half line speed.

Is this the issue that you are describing?