News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Questions (train load and renewal)

Started by accord2, February 11, 2017, 05:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

Hi,
I built a "railway" in 1753 between a cow farm and a dairy. At first it was a truck line and everything worked fine, and I decided to update to a railway. I waited two months and the train still doesn't load. How long does it take/what I am doing wrong? I built a new station, so the goods are zero, if the station already has goods from the truck line it works just fine.

Other question, I noticed infrastructure has a lifetime. How do I renewal a bridge or road when it reached the end of it's lifetime? Do I demolish everything and build from scratch? I hope there is another way.
Thank you :)
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

I do not understand your first question. What exactly is not happening; is the train not going into the loading state; is cargo not boarding it (despite being on the station), is the train not leaving the loading state, or do you mean something else entirely?

As to the second question, infrastructure renewal is automatic, but can be overridden manually. Ways will eventually wear out with the passage of time and vehicles. If the player takes no action, these will renew automatically (at cost) when they are worn out, unless the player has insufficient money, in which case they will degrade and eventually become impassible.

However, upgrading can be altered manually. Hold down shift when dragging a way over another way and, instead of replacing that way instantly, the new way type will instead replace the old way type when it comes time for renewal. This allows for cost-efficient upgrading.

Similarly, one can shift+drag the way removal tool over the way, which will disable upgrading, causing the way to degrade when it is worn out.

Renewing a way manually (i.e. by dragging a new way over it without holding shift) will reset the way's wear to zero again.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

The cattle farm production stopped at 32/35 and so the train is not loading, there are no goods at the station. But both farm and dairy are connected, so I was hoping it was some waiting time or something similar.

Oh, I see. Thank you. By the way, let's imagine I have a railway between two stations and I decide to stop the trains but not remove the tracks. Even if I don't renew it or use it and it gets old, do I still pay the maintenance cost?

jamespetts

I am afraid that it is not clear from your description what is happening or whether this is a bug or intended behaviour. Could you upload a saved game in which this can reliably be reproduced?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

accord2

jamespetts

It looks as though there may be a problem in calculating the in transit figure. I am not able to work on the code this week-end, as I am staying with my parents, but I will look into this when I get a chance. I should note that there is something of a queue of bugs waiting to be fixed at present, however.

Edit: If you leave it for long enough, the train does fill up entirely, but there is an anomalous spike in the graph showing the amount of goods in transit.

accord2

It's okay, thank you :) But is a problem just with this type of train or with more modern trains too? If this only happens with this type of trains, I will upload when possible to a newer. Just to know what to do with the line.

jamespetts

I do not know the nature of the problem as I have not had a chance to investigate it: doing so will be a lot of work, so may take some time.

accord2

accord2

Quote from: jamespetts on February 11, 2017, 06:46:46 PM
I do not know the nature of the problem as I have not had a chance to investigate it: doing so will be a lot of work, so may take some time.
Maybe this is important, just an update.
I tried to played in a test map and it worked fine, so I went back to my save map to see what would happen. At first the cattle farm milk production was rising from 0 to 10 and stopped, beginning again like in a loop. I waited, then it started to work properly and the train was able to load as usual.