News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Would anyone be interested in helping to create saved games for tutorial videos?

Started by jamespetts, February 12, 2017, 08:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Tutorial videos are of some importance in helping to teach people the often involved game mechanics of this branch of Simutrans (I believe that absolute block signalling is next on the list), but they can take a terribly long time to create. Nearly half that time, however, is taken in the process of creating and setting up the saved games.

If there is someone who is willing to assist with that aspect, it would make producing tutorial videos a great deal easier. The way that I imagine that it would work is that I should write the script and send it to the person who volunteered to help, who would then send in return a set of saved games set up ready to record both as to place and time (a good few seconds in advance of where the recording needs to start in each case) based on what is being described in the various parts of the script, with plenty of scope for recording incidental visuals for more general narration (e.g.  the introduction).

If anyone is interested in assisting in this way, please let me know.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Excellent, thank you, that is very helpful. I will need to write the script first. Would you be happy for me to e-mail it to you when it is ready?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

jamespetts

Yes, I can see it in the little icon to the side. Thank you very much: this is most helpful.

Ves

I got the script and it was indeed very long! :p
However i think it's well done and easily understandable and I will start in one end and work myself through! It might take a little bit of time though.

edit
Do you prefer me to use the pakset on the half height branch or the rescaled branch or does it not matter?

jamespetts

Ves

Do you want there to be a scene with every number you have written? ie,
Quote39. ...trains will need to slow down before every signal, whether at danger or not, which will lose valuable time.
Do you want a scene without distant signals where a train is slowing down in front if a clear signal?

Quote52. Make sure that the combined signal is placed within range of the box in front, or else the distant arm will not function, and trains will treat it as a caution signal.
Again, do you want a scene where this is occuring?

jamespetts

The numbers are not themselves significant for the narration: they are just a useful way of breaking it up into paragraphs so that I can read it more easily. However, whenever the narration describes something happening, there should if at all possible be a very clear visual showing it happening (see the time interval film for an example of this). Each specific thing that is described that can be visualised will need to have a specific scene; the more abstract narration will either have a general scene showing absolute block signalling working in an interesting layout (e.g. for the introduction), or possibly a continuation of the last more specific thing described, if this is interesting and/or visually appealing.

Ves

I realize, I have never really understood how to use the intermediate block signal. Here is an explanation:

I am creating a double track line with small signal boxes along the way. One signal box controls both directions and the boxes are quite far apart.
Firstly, the text state that only one pair of intermediate signals are allowed for each directions, but I can build as many as I want, apparently, save for empty signalslots.
Secondly, the slots of the signalbox is already full from the initial setup (two stop signals and one distant signal in each directon = 6 signals). Is the intention that some of the existing signals should be removed (which one would the proper ones be to delete then?) or am I supposed to build another signalbox, and let each signalbox control each direction?

jamespetts

The code will not stop you from building too many IB signals, but they will not work properly (especially the distants)  unless there is no more than one per signal box per direction.

IB signals do not need their own signal box; that would defeat the purpose. If your existing signal box has no free slots, it might be better to upgrade than place a new box.

Ves

So, here are some material, I think I got everything covered!

There are 4 savegames with 4 different eras. The first savegame (Game_A) is the base map with the most things covered. The other is derivated from this map and upgraded signals and features.

You can download the savegames and instructions from  here: http://server.exp.simutrans.com/savegames/.
If you want anything different, just give a shout!

I hope this is what you had in mind  :)

jamespetts

Thank you very much for your work on this, which, as you will have seen from the video, was most helpful.

Would you be willing to do this again for the token block working method (including RETB)? This working method will need to be the next video, I think. It will be a shorter video than for absolute block, as it will assume knowledge of what is covered in the absolute block video (as the electric telegraph video did for the time interval video).

If you are able to assist with this, let me know, and I will send you the script when I have written it.

Thank you again.

Ves

Thanks! It was a pleassure to see the map in the video!  ;D
Yes I would very much like to do another map! I do have little time at the moment, and will travel away for a week or so soon, so I might need longer to make the second map. But if you anyway need to write the script first, then it might work out anyway!

jamespetts