News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Where can you find Simutrans-Experimental-command-line-server.exe

Started by fam621, February 01, 2017, 07:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

James, how can you find Simutrans-Experimental-command-line-server.exe for the latest development builds? :)

Vladki

Linux server binary is available at server.exp.simutrans.org. I don't know about any server builds for windows

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

fam621

I am using windows, will linux software work with Windows 10? Also can you link me it, because I cant find it when I go on the website.

Vladki

It will not work in Windows.

Ves

Which vcxproj file is the server version (not home so cannot check)?

jamespetts

They all use the same vcxproj file, but they use different build configurations for debug/release/command line server.

And, Fam621, you can run a server without using a special build: just add a shortcut with the "-server" flag set. The command line server is for running unattended on remotely hosted servers that have no graphical interface (and also saves CPU time by not displaying any graphics).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

yorkeiser

- Open a dos prompt (start button -> run -> type "cmd")
- From there go to simutrans' path (e.g. if you installed simutrans in c:\games\simutrans, type "cd c:\games\simutrans"
- Run simutrans with server option flag. e.g type: "simutrans -server 1234" where "1234" is the port on which you want your server listen for connections

You'll probably have to add an exception for simutrans.exe on your windows firewall, otherwise it will block incoming connections

jamespetts

That is unfortunate.

(If you would like anyone to help you with this trouble, incidentally, you will need to give full details; otherwise, we can do no more than sympathise).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

fam621

Quote from: yorkeiser on February 04, 2017, 06:23:55 PM
- Open a dos prompt (start button -> run -> type "cmd")
- From there go to simutrans' path (e.g. if you installed simutrans in c:\games\simutrans, type "cd c:\games\simutrans"
- Run simutrans with server option flag. e.g type: "simutrans -server 1234" where "1234" is the port on which you want your server listen for connections

You'll probably have to add an exception for simutrans.exe on your windows firewall, otherwise it will block incoming connections

The instructions above are quite hard to follow. Also, I do not know how to make shortcuts too. A third factor is that overall, I am not very good at these type of things. Question: Is there one that I could have please? :)

Vladki

Omg, the instructions are just fine. Perhaps you should go and ask you IT teacher to give you extra lesson. ?

yorkeiser

Quote from: fam621 on February 04, 2017, 10:04:26 PM
The instructions above are quite hard to follow. Also, I do not know how to make shortcuts too. A third factor is that overall, I am not very good at these type of things. Question: Is there one that I could have please? :)

Sorry i don't know how to put it simpler... I'll try to let you create a .bat:
- Take note of the path where you "installed" simutrans (=where simutrans.exe is located on your hard drive, e.g. c:\users\fam621\simutrans)
- Create a new empty file on your desktop (right button -> create .txt file or something similar)
- Open that file with a text editor (notepad is ok)
- Write following line inside the file:
     c:\users\fam621\simutrans\simutrans.exe -server 54545
- This will open a simutrans server on port 54545, you can change the port number according to your needs
- Save the file and rename it with .bat extension (replace .txt by .bat)
- Double click and run the file
- Maybe when it starts, windows will prompt that a program is trying to open a port blocked by windows firewall: click the option to allow simutrans.exe bypass firewall

fam621

Tried.

jamespetts

Can you not just create a shortcut using Windows Explorer?

fam621

Ves

Fam might have done the right thing already, but I guess the name of the file (simutrans-experimental.exe) must match an existing file in the directory?
As I suspect Fam downloads my builds, they usually contains some additional characters at the end of the file (ie: Simutrans-Experimental_170203_37569a4.exe). Fam, if you do not rename them locally, make sure that the filename are the same in your batchfile as the actual files.

fam621

Yes, I do have the builds with additional characters, BUT has you can see, it says it can not find the system specified, Ves. I have the .dll what it is crying about.

Ves

Can you copy in the content of the batch file here in the forum?

Ves

The file you made following the previous post that created the black window you showed the picture of. The file ends with .bat
Right click the file, press "edit" and copy in here the text.

fam621

Which one do I change into a bat file?

Ves

Quote- Take note of the path where you "installed" simutrans (=where simutrans.exe is located on your hard drive, e.g. c:\users\fam621\simutrans)
- Create a new empty file on your desktop (right button -> create .txt file or something similar)
- Open that file with a text editor (notepad is ok)
- Write following line inside the file:
     c:\users\fam621\simutrans\simutrans.exe -server 54545
- This will open a simutrans server on port 54545, you can change the port number according to your needs
- Save the file and rename it with .bat extension (replace .txt by .bat)
- Double click and run the file
- Maybe when it starts, windows will prompt that a program is trying to open a port blocked by windows firewall: click the option to allow simutrans.exe bypass firewall

I suppose you followed the above tutorial? If so, then you created a file which ended with .bat (which by the way is called a batch file). I am asking for a copy of what you wrote into that file, as that might give a hint of why it did not work.

fam621

jamespetts

Quote from: fam621 on February 05, 2017, 03:40:03 PM
I created a shortcut, now what do I do? :)

You need to edit the properties of the shortcut to add "-server" after the filename in the "target" box under the "shortcut" tab (assuming that Windows 10 is the same as Windows 7 in this respect).

fam621

I am in the properties now, where do I put the -server command?

jamespetts

Quote from: The last post
...after the filename in the "target" box under the "shortcut" tab (assuming that Windows 10 is the same as Windows 7 in this respect).