News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

City Growth

Started by Nuben Kinder, March 05, 2017, 11:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuben Kinder

Hello all,

So I've played about 30 years now, expanding my passenger and mail network across half of the map, and not a single city has had any city growth. Am I doing something wrong? I set the settings really high for growth when I started the map.

DrSuperGood

Try resetting the values to default. Use the game settings window (menuconf.tab with dialog_tool[27]=,~ then press ~) to perform the change.

Nuben Kinder

I'm sorry - I'm not sure what you mean by game settings window. This would reset my settings for a saved game?

DrSuperGood

It is the advanced settings window that you can use to setup a map. In singleplayer you can use the hidden command to bring it up and modify the map settings without having to start a new save.

It is possible that the value you have set for city growth is too small or too big so that under/overflow is occurring with the underlying mathematics. This can also happen if your months are extremely long and grows extremely small as an example. Resetting city growth to default values would help rule this out.

Cities grow based on the demand satisfaction of nearby consumers, the percentage of passengers departing and the percentage of mail departing. In the case of passengers and mail it is potential growth that is lost when passengers fail to depart either due to overcrowding or no route. Passenger and mail arrivals are irrelevant for growth.

Nuben Kinder

Thank you very much, you are very helpful! This is kind of a noob thing to ask, I guess, but how do you bring up that hidden command during game?

DrSuperGood

Once inserted into the pakset menuconf.tab file (using a text editor) you press the "~" key.

I have no idea why pakset authors do not have this command assigned to a key by default. It is very useful.

Leartin

Quote from: DrSuperGood on March 07, 2017, 03:02:02 AM
Once inserted into the pakset menuconf.tab file (using a text editor) you press the "~" key.

I have no idea why pakset authors do not have this command assigned to a key by default. It is very useful.
Probably because pakset authors at some point in history copypasted pak64 and did not do much with it afterwards. Besides, there is the German game history, which would make ~ a poor choice, given that you need AltGr to press it ;)

Mariculous

QuoteI set the settings really high for growth when I started the map

That's exactly the problem, assuming you talk about high values for the growthfactor_* settings.
It is called a "factor" but it isn't! It's a divisor.
If you want a high city growth, you have to use small growth "factors".

DrSuperGood

QuoteBesides, there is the German game history, which would make ~ a poor choice, given that you need AltGr to press it
Which is why hotkeys should also be localized... It would also be a problem for *insert one of many keyboard layouts* because they might also not have the key.

Fact is having it bound by default is better than not bound at all, even if the hotkey might be unusable in some localities. The key '~' is pretty arbitrary, I am sure someone could come up with a much more locale friendly hotkey.