News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Taxi Transport

Started by BudapestTRansport, March 17, 2009, 11:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BudapestTRansport

Cabs measured they are not in the game?

whoami

Strictly speaking, taxis are not simulated by Simutrans, but one can image that some of the city-cars are taxis. The closest that you get as a player are low-capacity vans, used as buses.

And: please do not fill up the "General Discussion" board with single-line posts, especially if there are boards that fit the topics more closely.

vilvoh

IMHO taxis wouldn't be profitable in Simutrans. I did a tuk-tuk (Asian taxi from Taiwan) some time ago, with a capacity of four passengers, and it doesn't really worth to use it. It was funny to see it roaming around but you need tons of them to transport the same amount of passengers as one tipical bus. It would be usefull for special situations where you have to transport small amounts of passengers to specific places.

Link to the Tuk-tuk, sources included in the zip: http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/03596.0/index.html#msg49142

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Also, if you google for pictures of taxis - you'll often seen lots of them lined up at an airport, for example, or stacked up on downtown streets.

but remember that there's a maximum of two vehicles per km2 in Simutrans. (One of the scales is that each tile represents one square kilometer).

Ultimately, I think this is one of those cases that just doesn't work out well in Simutrans at the scales it has to deal with.

I think in a perfect world, I'd love to see the graphic scale become the tile scale - so cities would be many times their current sizes, and maps would too. Maybe in another decade or two we'll have powerful enough computers to do that. :) (and think nothing of a 1,000,000x1,000,000 map... heh. That would be *awesome* to me) Then perhaps taxis would make sense, as well as back roads and more rural things - real "small towns" and huge metropolises (bus stop size of maybe 10-15 tiles instead of 2)...

So it's one of those compromises to make a *workable* game -- that turned out to be surprisingly flexible and balanced, imho :)

BudapestTRansport

Quote from: whoami on March 17, 2009, 05:31:44 PM
Strictly speaking, taxis are not simulated by Simutrans, but one can image that some of the city-cars are taxis. The closest that you get as a player are low-capacity vans, used as buses.

And: please do not fill up the "General Discussion" board with single-line posts, especially if there are boards that fit the topics more closely.

I understand this but the buses trams trolleys undergrounds overburdened that of this I was looking for other traffic device how they should not be

Isaac Eiland-Hall

If buses, which can carry 50-150 passengers, are overburdened, taxis would worsen the problem, as they only carry 1-4 and take up essentially the same space as a bus :)

Definitely check out a monorail and underground...

colonyan

The only situation (in pak64) I think taxi can be useful...

wood farm with 1! passenger point.

.... that 1 passenger point bugs me.... but little parameter like that is fun.