News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Future liveries/trains are not in-game for some reason

Started by fam621, October 26, 2017, 08:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

Hello James and others who make the trains. I have been wondering that why is it that new trains are not been made and intergrated into Simutrans Extended. What I mean is like some future trains such as the Class 397 and the new Class 701s are not in the game. I can work on liveries but making the trains themselves not really. This is just a question fyi.

Rollmaterial

I believe the reason is simply lack of time. As for coding the trains, writing a .dat file is rather simple, the reference thread for vehicles and ways explains in detail what every entry does (an entry is, for instance: "payload=37" to set the seating capacity to 37 or "name=br-397-front" to set the vehicle's name to "br-397-front"). Researching all the relevant information might be the difficult part.

jamespetts

Indeed - doing any one thing takes time from doing every other thing. Would you be interested in learning how to create pakset objects?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

There are already instructions for creating objects for Pak128.Britain here. However, would a step-by-step tutorial showing how to alter an existing set of graphics (e.g., to modify the livery of the class 455 to the original South West Trains livery from the 1990s, which is a very simple substitution of the red stripe on the Network SouthEast livery to orange) be of assistance?

If so, it might be a few weeks before I have time to write one, as I am busy with non-Simutrans things this week-end, but if you are keen to learn and would find such a tutorial useful, I shall try to create one when I have the time.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

fam621

jamespetts

Splendid - I shall try to put together a step by step tutorial when I have a little time.

fam621

Right now I'm working on a Thameslink livered Class 319.

fam621

And the final products!

Thameslink livery

Northern (temp) livery

jamespetts

I am very interested to see your work, but I am afraid that I cannot view Imagur files for some reason - can you upload to files.simutrans-germany.com or similar? Thank you.

fam621

The Northern (Arriva/New) livery for 2017 - onwards

The Northern (Serco-Abellio/Electrics) livery for 2015 - 2017

jamespetts

Thank you for your work on these. I note that these do not appear to have any differential shading, however. If you compare this to the original:

you will see that the images the third from the left and the second from the right appear much darker than the others. This is a necessary part of the appearance of the graphics, as it indicates the direction of the light, which is an important part of the graphical realism of the pakset.

Graphics for Pak128.Britain are produced by rendering 3D models, not by hand-editing raster graphics. This is actually a a much easier way of doing things, and produces higher quality and more consistent results. If you use this method, the shading will be done for you entirely automatically.

fam621

Okay but I find it easier to use gimp right now so that assistance might not be needed in the end but make it just in case please. :)

Rollmaterial

Speaking of shading, I find it would be better if the icons were separate non-shaded images as the shading makes the liveries harder to distinguish.

fam621

Rollmaterial

I was speaking generally about the pakset, not specifically to you ;)

Ves

If you mean the icons in the depot window, they are taken directly from the south-going image of the vehicle. No possibilities to have different images with icons and ingame vehicles unfortunately.

jamespetts

Ves is correct about the way in which depot icons work - there is no separate icon graphic.

Fam621 - whilst you are of course welcome to alter the graphics as you see fit for your own use or to share with anyone interested on this forum or otherwise, I am afraid that I cannot include these additional liveries in the pakset itself without them being shaded (and anti-aliased) correctly as they would be if they were rendered from the 3d model in the standard way.

fam621

Oh but can the person that makes the models shade it for me please?

jamespetts

The only active pakset developer dealing with vehicle models at present is me, and it is likely to be many years before the modern liveries of the class 319 top my list of priorities. I should note that shading and anti-aliasing these graphics correctly would take more work than starting from scratch, as using the 3d models is much easier than pixel painting.

If you wish to add further vehicles/liveries of your own choosing and at your own pace, and you are very welcome to do so, you will need to learn the complete process so that all that I need to do is merge the files into the main directory and test them, or else you are not so much making things yourself as asking me to make them.

Edit: I have now added the detailed step by step tutorial on how to make additional liveries for existing vehicles properly here. I strongly suggest that you follow this tutorial to learn how to do what you want to do.

fam621

Okay, I'll follow that you sent me and I'll try my best to make the liveries. Also, what programme is that? :)

jamespetts

I do not understand the question, I am afraid - what programme is what? There are a number of different pieces of software (all completely free) that you will need to create vehicles and other pakset assets using 3d models, links to which are all provided in the tutorial.

If you have any queries about the tutorial, incidentally, I suggest that you post them on that thread rather than here, as anyone else looking at the tutorial who has the same query will not think to look at this thread to find the answers.

fam621

What I mean is that the livery that you made that SWT livery with, what programme (software) did you use?

jamespetts

I am afraid that I still do not understand. What do you mean by "the livery that you made that SWT livery with"?

fam621

Ah, thats a mistake. What I really meant is that what software (programme) did you use to make that South West Trains livery with.

jamespetts

Blender - this is all described fully in the step by step tutorial. A download link to Blender is explicitly given in that post.

fam621

fam621

Now that I've got everything in place, how do I now reliver the trains then?

jamespetts

Both of those questions are answered fully in the tutorial. If you have any specific questions about the tutorial, may I ask that you post them on the tutorial thread so that others with the same query can find the answers there?

fam621

I am currently having issues on how to install the software that allows you to have liveries. Can I get some in detail help please?

jamespetts

As I have asked before at least twice now, please post queries relating to the tutorial as replies to the tutorial itself so that others with the same query know where to find them.

Also, if you want me to understand your problem enough to have any chance of helping you, you will need to state (on that thread, not on this thread) (1) the name of the software that you are having trouble installing (Blender? The Blender plugin? Git for Windows? Makeobj?); (2) with which specific step of the installation process that you are having trouble; and (3) what exactly happens when you try to carry out that step of the installation process.

Rollmaterial

I have just produced the Southern livery for the Class 455.

jamespetts

Splendid! It is excellent to see new things being added. They do look good, too.

fam621

I am starting to test the waters with livery making. Do expect liveries anytime soon! :)

jamespetts

Don't worry - there's no rush. Very best wishes! If you need any advice, do let us know (preferably in the relevant thread rather than here).

fam621

James, here is the Class 319 in the Thameslink livery which was used between Sept. 2014 and July/August 2017.

File link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KUf5I-pE8ttklivOAU41BjRjhyVTocV6

Note: No views have been rendered.

jamespetts

It is splendid that you are making progress - I shall look forward to seeing the rendered results!

fam621

Do you want me to do the rendering or you wont mind doing it? Its completely up to you James.

jamespetts

You will need to do the complete process; in any event,you will find it much more satisfying in the long term if you can get things working all by yourself.

fam621

James, I was going to do it like how this comment (quote) made by Rollmaterial which was made in another chat.

Quote:

Quote from: Rollmaterial on November 13, 2017, 05:35:31 PM
You do not need to compile to have it incorporated into the "official" pakset, you simply need to send your graphics to James or make them publicly available and send us a link. It would of course be best if you set up your own Github repository from which James could simply merge the changes you make into the main repository. Would you be interested in a guide into setting up a Github repository for that purpose?

Rollmaterial

What I meant by compiling was compiling the pakset itself (step 5 of the tutorial with makeobj etc.), not rendering the graphics (step 3 of the tutorial, which isn't even called compiling anyway). To contribute new liveries to the pakset you should ideally complete steps 2 to 4 of the tutorial. You can also do step 5 if you want to test the graphics in-game yourself, which would save us some work if there are errors but isn't strictly necessary.

fam621

I was going to take the option of putting it on GitHub and (wait patiently) for it to be complied and see how good it is. Plus I have also updated the Class 319 Thameslink/ file btw.

Link to the updated file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tJx_-WUMfaIiLHmQxaffdZqHAwBao1IO

Rollmaterial

You are very welcome to set up a GitHub repository, as that would make adding your contributions easier for James.

fam621

Okay, but do you have to pay for it and is there a specific place where you should put them?

jamespetts

Git/Github is free. What you need to do is clone the Pak128.Britain-Ex repository (search for instructions on how to do this) to your own repository on Github, and add your modified files to your cloned repository. You then push your changes (the addition of your files and changes to any existing files - if you are adding new vehicles rather than just adding liveries, do not forget to add translation texts for each new vehicle to en.tab also) to your repository on Github. I can then merge your changes into my branch on Github so that these are automatically compiled.

While you do not need to provide compiled versions, you do need to compile them yourself to test that they work, as you need to be the person testing/debugging your new additions.

fam621

I am just doing liveries so that should not be a problem.

fam621

I have just uploaded the Class 319 in Thameslink/ livery to GitHub.

GitHub link: https://github.com/SouthernTransport225/Pak128.Britain-blends

Its under trains/railcars. It will have gtr.blends instead of nse.blends at the end of it. Should I need to take anymore action, please let me know.

Rollmaterial

That is some great progress! Now you will need to clone the main pakset repository and commit the rendered graphics and modified .dat files to it. When doing so, make sure you clone James's repository and not mine, as that is the one from which the official pakset is made. Also, make sure your commit messages describe what changes and additions you make in each commit.

I also recommend installing GitHub Desktop, it helps manage your repository.