News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

New liveries

Started by Rollmaterial, November 12, 2017, 06:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

I have created the Scotrail livery for the carriages used in the Glasgow-Edinburgh shuttle in the 80s. They are available on the new-liveries branch of my repository.

Incidentally, the DBSO cannot presently be used with the Mark 3 carriages in the pakset. Is there any obstacle to implementing this?

jamespetts

Thank you very much for this. I see no reason in principle that the mk. 2 DBSO should not be modified to be able to couple to the mk. 3A carriages.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

I have just implemented that to the new-liveries branch.

Rollmaterial

Here we have the complete Scotrail Edinburgh-Glasgow Shuttle including the re-liveried Class 47:

This was also an opportunity to make the Intercity Executive livery for said locomotive. Here the same formation in that livery:

fam621

The Connex South Central livery (not complied)

Vladki

Great. When can we expect full version (all rotations?)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Rollmaterial

Following, of course, is the Intercity Swallow livery:

You do not need to compile to have it incorporated into the "official" pakset, you simply need to send your graphics to James or make them publicly available and send us a link. It would of course be best if you set up your own Github repository from which James could simply merge the changes you make into the main repository. Would you be interested in a guide into setting up a Github repository for that purpose?

fam621

I'm going to post the graphics here to make it easier if thats ok?

Rollmaterial

A more practical compromise would be if you uploaded a zip folder with both the graphics and the amended .dat files.

fam621

Rollmaterial

You need to add the entries for the images in the .dat file as instructed in the step-by-step guide, otherwise it won't compile. Also, the definition for the Connex South Central livery is spelled "Connex-South-Central". All livery definitions are at the bottom of the pakset simuconf.tab. Finally, we will also need separate graphics for the trailer, which are shared with the Class 317, as well as for the rear driving trailer, which you can make by rotating the front driving trailer and re-rendering.
To rotate the driving trailer, do as follows:
-Hide all layers except the one with the vehicle model by shift+clicking the layers so the layer manager looks like this:

-Press A to select the whole model. If you had something selected from before, press it twice.
-Go to Object > Transform and select "Origin to Geometry"
-Press Shift+S and select "Cursor to Selected"
-Press 7 to view the model from above
-Press R and type "180" to rotate.
-Show all layers by shift-clicking them in the layer manager shown above. Then you can render.

Oh, and it would save us some time if you added the entries to the latest version of the .dat file.

Rollmaterial

And here comes the revised Network SoutEast livery:

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you very much, those are excellent. Now incorporated.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

fam621

Oh, kk. Right now, I cba to bother with those type of things, I'm rn focusing on getting liveries up to date. But, I'm still going to try and do that.

Rollmaterial

Now comes the original NSE livery:

Railfreight grey:

jamespetts

Rollmaterial

The Parcels livery, coded as RM-Revised:

Here two versions of the Railfreight Two-Tone Grey livery, coded respectively as TF-Two-tone-grey and RfD-Two-tone-grey:

jamespetts

Rollmaterial - splendid as ever! Now incorporated into the master branch.

Quote from: fam621 on November 14, 2017, 04:22:16 PM
Oh, kk. Right now, I cba to bother with those type of things, I'm rn focusing on getting liveries up to date. But, I'm still going to try and do that.

If you cannot be bothered to complete the work of adding the liveries, may I ask why you expect others to be?

fam621

I am not saying that I dont want to give it a go but like I'm not very used to blender to I will kind of mess up but I'll give it a try in due course.

jamespetts

Don't worry about messing it up - you cannot do irreversible harm. Making mistakes is how one learns. Once you get used to the work flow, you will find that it is quite straightforward and minimises the amount of repetitive work necessary to add new graphics to the pakset.

Do keep trying: I am sure that you will find it very satisfying when you manage to make a complete set of vehicles with a new livery that will compile without any alterations.

Rollmaterial

And now another set of liveries I have missed in this pakset, namely the Network SouthEast liveries for the Class 50 and the Mark 2A carriages, which operated on the West of England line in the 80's and early 90's. Here in the original livery:

And in the revised livery:

jamespetts

How splendid! I fondly remember these locomotives and carriages in these liveries. I will incorporate these very shortly.

Incidentally, would you also be able to upload your modified .blend files? It will be very useful for anyone seeking further to modify any of the vehicles that you have modified with these new liveries. Indeed, one further modification that will need to be done very soon is to add first class versions of all of these carriages. If you would like to produce the graphics for these, that would save me some time, which I could then use to expedite the completion of the other elements of the passenger and mail classes feature.

Thank you again for your helpful work on this.

Rollmaterial

The blends are on the master branch of my blends repository: https://github.com/Rollmaterial/Pak128.Britain-blends

jamespetts

Splendid! I had missed that.

Rollmaterial

I have now committed some first class graphics to the passenger-and-mail-classes branch on my repository.

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you! I will add the .dat files later when I move onto railway vehicles - I am currently concentrating on town buildings and attractions.

NoMorePacers

May I ask if a Railfreight livery definition exists?

Rollmaterial

Quote from: NoMorePacers on November 17, 2017, 11:22:31 PM
Yes, I did add it.

jamespetts

Quote from: NoMorePacers on November 17, 2017, 11:22:31 PM

If you would like to add a livery and the definition for that livery is missing from simuconf.tab, do feel free to add it.

Rollmaterial

I have just completed the graphics for the first class and composite Mark 1 carriages. They are on my passenger-and-mail-classes branch.

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you! That is extremely helpful.

Edit: One query, if I may: I see that you have put the new vehicles into a dark green livery. This green livery is used with some Mk. 1 carriages, not as the Southern Region green (which was lighter), but to use the graphics for the Mk. 1 carriages as part of certain multiple units that were painted in that green colour, as many of the centre carriages of these multiple units looked nearly identical to the locomotive hauled Mk. 1 carriages. I do not think that these multiple units had things like a BCK.

Had you prepared these graphics thinking that they were intended to be Southern Region green? I had wondered whether to add the two regional colour schemes of the later British Railways liveries (the Western Region and the Southern Region), but had provisionally decided against it on the basis that it would require two new livery schemes just for those two liveries. However, if you would like to add these, do feel free to do so (so long as you add the necessary BR(S) and BR(W) livery schemes), albeit it might be quite a bit of work for a relatively limited reward, especially considering that one may then want to have some of the later pre-nationalisation carriages in the same schemes, too (such as the Bulleid express carriages, for example). Whether you think that this is worth your time I will leave to your discretion.

Rollmaterial

Yes, my intention was to make the Southern Region green livery. I was not aware that it was not the same shade of green...

Anyway, I am proud to present the Classes 81-85 in InterCity livery:

As well as the Class 86 in both Executive...

...and Swallow livery:

It is worth noting how the pantographs become hardly visible with the new transparent workflow.

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you for that. I wonder whether the pantographs might be more visible if in a lighter colour?

Rollmaterial

And now, the Class 87:

Swallow:

Making the pantographs lighter did indeed make them more visible. I have applied that to the other locos as well.

jamespetts