News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Stacked years

Started by ROCAMBOLER529, November 15, 2017, 02:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROCAMBOLER529

Playing without timeline is funny but why not play without timeline with only the 1930 vehicles?? My idea is to create two types of world without cronology. For example... You create a new world in 1930 without timeline but you only have the vehicles that are aviable in 1930 for ever!! It can be useful if you want to play only with horses and only with the dirt road but without new discovered vehicles.

The Argentian (Argentina Empire)

DrSuperGood

How would months be treated? Simutrans needs time to progress for the simulation to work.

Leartin

Quote from: DrSuperGood on November 15, 2017, 04:41:09 AM
How would months be treated? Simutrans needs time to progress for the simulation to work.

Most paksets include a "skip year" button. I guess for this, get a "remove year" button (probably the same, but with negative value, anyway), and call it first thing each new years day. A bit messy with stuff that's introduced during that year, but otherwise it gets the job done rather easily.

Ters

Just delete the pak files containing the older or newer vehicles, turn timeline off and ignore the year where ever it is displayed.

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: Leartin on November 15, 2017, 05:12:47 AM
Most paksets include a "skip year" button. I guess for this, get a "remove year" button (probably the same, but with negative value, anyway), and call it first thing each new years day. A bit messy with stuff that's introduced during that year, but otherwise it gets the job done rather easily.
Exactly but i think that if you remove a year, the game will be crash!!!
Quote from: Ters on November 15, 2017, 06:25:48 AM
Just delete the pak files containing the older or newer vehicles, turn timeline off and ignore the year where ever it is displayed.
Isnt necesary because if you play without timeline, the horses wont be profitable!!! The idea is that the horses will be profitable without timeline

DrSuperGood

QuoteIsnt necesary because if you play without timeline, the horses wont be profitable!!! The idea is that the horses will be profitable without timeline
I assume this is referring to how speed bonuses vary with time. One should be able to fix this by altering the speed bonus tables of the pakset, they are text files. Have only a single entry which is set appropriately for the time.

Technically going back a year should be possible. The main problem would be the inverse unlock logic to lock stuff again and also logic to handle history so that the years are kept correct.

HyperSim

Quote from: ROCAMBOLER529 on November 15, 2017, 02:04:59 AM
Playing without timeline is funny but why not play without timeline with only the 1930 vehicles?? My idea is to create two types of world without cronology. For example... You create a new world in 1930 without timeline but you only have the vehicles that are aviable in 1930 for ever!! It can be useful if you want to play only with horses and only with the dirt road but without new discovered vehicles.

You only mentioned vehicles, then what do you think about ways or other things?

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on November 16, 2017, 12:03:57 AM
I assume this is referring to how speed bonuses vary with time. One should be able to fix this by altering the speed bonus tables of the pakset, they are text files. Have only a single entry which is set appropriately for the time.

Or just remove the entries altogether. The game should then base the speed bonus on the speed of the vehicles actually available.

It is however strange that speed bonus varies with time when there is no timeline.

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: HyperSim on November 16, 2017, 12:53:50 AM
You only mentioned vehicles, then what do you think about ways or other things?

Maybe... But if we play without timeline we cannot add "extinted" urban routes. I think that will be great if we can add any type of urban route

DrSuperGood

If you want to add "extinct" lines using obsolete convoys then set the appropriate game setting flag to allow buying of obsolete convoys. Using modern rails is not a problem as most historic railroads also use modern rails. For example the Hogwarts Express steam engine famous for appearing in the WB Harry Potter films often runs on modern continuous welded tracks despite the engine being manufactured in a time before the technology existed/was wide spread to lay such rails.

ROCAMBOLER529

I understand what did you want to say. The original idea consist of adding the dirt urban route and the gravel urban route into the game without timeline. But it also can be a problem adding differents type of urban routes into a same way because when you create a new world without timeline adn you open the Map Editing Tools with the public service, you can only see one type of urban route and you cannot change it. You cannot build an obsolet urban route without timeline in any pakset.