News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Timed signal deadlocks

Started by Junna, November 25, 2017, 12:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junna

Trains keep entering the station approach block with vane signals and block the train trying to depart from the station platform. The trains heading to the station depart at the same time as the train in the station reverses, and causes a deadlock. How would one solve this, or is there an error with the signals?

jamespetts

It is somewhat difficult to understand precisely what you mean from this description - are you able to upload a saved game where this issue can reliably be reproduced so that I can check whether this is an error or not?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Junna

I could, but I wanted to save the time of compressing stuff and uploading and all that if this is working as intended? Are trains supposed to proceed and block, and if so, how ought one to signal a station so that they do not deadlock because they have to wait for a bit before entering? The trains are set to wait at this station to distribute the departures, but there's only two platforms, so they end up waiting and getting up on each other on the approach (They bunched up after getting stuck once and all being sent to the next station). I'm trying to distribute them, but they keep deadlocking.

jamespetts

I am not clear enough on what you mean to understand whether you are describing a bug or the signalling system working correctly. For example, I do not fully understand what you mean here by "proceed and block", nor the layout of the stations at which this occurs (which is important to understanding how the signalling ought to work).

I presume that you have seen the videos on time interval signalling and understand the difference between signals that protect a plain section of track and signals that protect junctions, and also the inherent sighting distance limitation of the latter type when not using the time interval with telegraph working method?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Junna

There are two platforms, where trains are set to wait, which is the far end of the line (a simple crossover). There's a choose signal for the approach and station signals for the two platforms. Trains waiting when the platforms are full proceed to run forward to the station signal and block the train which is about to depart the station. 

There are only vane signals available at this date in 1840, so I don't know how one would possible use any other method at this date to prevent it deadlocking.

jamespetts

I am really not going to be able to have any idea whether this is correct behaviour or not without a saved game, as I still do not know precisely what trains are doing when they "run forward to the station signal" nor whether the train in the platform is within sighting distance of the signal protecting the crossover.

The chance of me being able to give an indication of whether any given signalling issue is a bug or not based on a text description alone is very remote given the amount of detail that makes a difference to the operation of signalling systems.

Junna

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g01jot76duyy1lw/derpsys9.sve?dl=0

save

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecd2xv44qxlw710/pak128.Britain-Ex.0.9.3J.zip?dl=0

pak

Should load at the relevant city.

It will take a while for it to happen, but towards the end of September the deadlock should occur.

jamespetts

Thank you for uploading that. I have not been able to reproduce this consistently (I had a single incident with a head-on collision involving convoy no. 26, but could not then repeat that when reloading the game), but I note that DC East Railway Station is not properly signalled: the signals on the right hand side of the tracks when loading (i.e. towards Castle Lancester) are all station signals. For this configuration, you need ordinary signals, not station signals. A station signal is intended to be used as shown in the videos, as a single signal for all departing trains in the station. If you are using signals on each track/platform, you need to use ordinary signals instead, as demonstrated in the tutorial video.

I suggest that you try to re-signal the station and see whether that makes any difference to the issues that you have been experiencing.

Junna

That does seem to make it run without issue. I had confused the station signal as being a more "absolute" signal for stations.

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you for confirming.