News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Making new graphics fit with existing graphics

Started by jamespetts, November 28, 2017, 12:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

This post is relevant for anyone producing graphics, particularly of rail vehicles, for Pak128.Britain-Ex. The new transparent workflow can have the effect that railway vehicles look small compared to existing railway vehicles produced by the old method. This is because the edges of the vehicles are anti-aliased, and so appear transparent (and are therefore much less visible) than in the old workflow. This can cause real problems when mixing vehicles produced with the old and new workflows in a train, as the new vehicles will look too small compared to the old vehicles.

I have been carrying out some experimentation as to how best to solve this problem. The most obvious solution (and, in terms of output, the optimum solution) would simply be to re-render all rail vehicles using the new workflow, but this would take an excessive amount of time. An alternative solution therefore is slightly to increase the size of the 3d models before rendering them in cases where the vehicle is likely to be used in the same train as vehicles rendered with the old workflow (this applies less to locomotives vis a vis carriages as it does to carriages vis a vis one another). I have found good results so far with increasing the x and z dimensions to 1.05 of their original size, and the y dimension by 1.02 of its original size (I have yet to test 1.06 and 1.03, which might be better, as the vehicles still look slightly small with 1.05 and 1.03, although much less noticeable without the re-sizing). Make sure to set the cursor to "median point" before resizing so as not to cause the vehicle to become misaligned.

If re-sizing in this way, it would be helpful to indicate that this is what has been done by a note in the .dat file and also by keeping a copy of the original size vehicle in a different layer in Blender for future reference. 

If re-rendering all of a set of carriages likely to be used together, no re-sizing is necessary.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

I have fixed some aliasing with the first class cantrail of the Mark 1 CL. I scaled it with a factor 1.05 in all directions.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.