News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[Extended] "Canterbury and Whitstable"

Started by asaphxiix, December 03, 2017, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

28 Dec 1820, Horswent: Turnpike Trust Established and Heavy Locomotion Experiments

In an effort to attract new entrepreneurs from around the Kingdom, the County Magistrate today announced a new turnpike initiative to be introduced in the area of Chorerworth Bay. Roads will be upgraded by the Royal Turnpike Trust, a body recently delegated by HM King James III to encourage the conveyance of persons and goods in and around the county of Halmouth. Additionally, public coaching inns, stops and docks will be built and funded by the Crown for this purpose, while private companies will be free to use these facilities for a modest access charge.

In another interesting development last Sunday, experimentation has begun in mechanic locomotion, whereby a large wagon, referred to as "the Puffing Billy" by its creator, is driven without the use of any horses, but rather by the force of water-vapor raising from rapidly-burning fuel. The experiment is run by a sub-division of the Turnpike Trust which is involved with conveyance of persons and goods.

jamespetts

These are most intriguing experiments indeed; I daresay that all in the Kingdom will anxiously regard developments in such matters that might affect the convenience with which persons and things may be conveyed from place to place.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Is this server still updating to use the latest nightlys? 

This morning I found Bridgewater-Brunel shows up in my game list, but not Canterbury-Whitstable, after updating to the latest nightly exe.

asaphxiix

Hello,

The server does indeed update to use the nightly, however this only happens when I wake up, at various times of the day (this changes frequently, currently around UTC midday).

1. The task of updating the nightly on Windows is very arduous. If anyone has any idea of how to automate this, I would be grateful. If it were a linux server, this wouldn't be a problem, but even being the lifetime windows user that I am, I don't know of any easy way to automate this (though I'm sure that there is one). Does anyone know Python?

2. I am still looking for volunteers to help run the server, most importantly the manual nightly update - this could even be done on demand and doesn't have to be done on a regular basis, e.g. the volunteer comes in and see the version hasn't changed, they will be able to change it if they want, etc.

AP

AP

Did the server revert to an old version earlier today? I had a whole load of ships this morning, the line has now vanished.

asaphxiix

Hello,

Sadly the server did crash today, with an 'out of memory' error. I am working to set up monitoring on the server to see if indeed that is the case. I am not sure, since when I logged onto the server and saw the frozen screen with the error, memory was only 60% utilized, with simutrans taking up 1.6GB of RAM.

After forcefully shutting down the program, I reverted to the last save, however by mistake I used the wrong file. Seeing your post, this mistake has now been corrected, and I send my apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please try again now, to see if your changes have been re-applied.

AP

Hmm. Still no ships. I had ships going all the way around the big sea in the upper right this morning (say 0730 GMT). Is that definitely the latest save?

I suppose I *could* have lost the connection and been playing offline without realising, but I hope not...

asaphxiix

If you were the last to have played on the server before the crash, then I suspect it is likely that any changes you made after joining last would not have been saved. I also realize now that the file I originally loaded was not the wrong one, it was the latest save from  Dec 12 04:09 16 AM PST, which is The save file is from Dec 12  10:39 AM PST, which I believe is a bit more than 24 hours ago. This is the save I loaded now.

AP

AP

So the player passwords are reset again this morning - has that been reported as a bug?  I'm not clear what's causing it, do you know? Clearly it could be an issue with server game play in general.

This morning, I was starting a bunch of ships from shipyard  at around 0735 GMT and it kicked me out, now  "server does not respond". 

I saw (from the chat) that the server went down late yesterday evening as well.

Ves

Yes it crashed last night again, apperently with some 15-20 minutes loss of work.
Did you not get kicked out?

AP

I did but wasn't at my machine when it happened.

AP

Has the server just crashed?

I just logged on, my first action after re-passwording was buying a dozen ships at Caningford shipyard for line North Sea Ferry  (clones of the one already in the yard) and upon purchasing #10 (or was it starting #10... either way I have 10 ships left ... , the server game has paused seemingly frozen (but no pause icon).

I still have the connected-to-a-server icon, and can still interact with line and vehicle menus and things. Just not change anything.

Edit: server appears down. Odd that simply buying ships causes a crash.

asaphxiix

Indeed the server just froze. No idea why. This adds up to the 'out of memory' crashes I have even when memory is utilized only 50%.

The password resets occur when I load the previous save game when starting the server. For some reason, the game doesn't autosave on the same file I loaded, but rather on a file in the upper folder, I have to replace those every time I restart. Because it is a local save, the network passwords are reset every time I do this.

AP

Yep, just confirmed it, as soon as I start a ship from that Caningford shipyard, it crashes. My other shipyard is fine. It will need restarting again. Do you want to send the savegame to James with a bug report?

I think I'll have to delete and rebuild the offending shipyard somewhere else once the server restarts (again, sorry!) ;)

EDIT: 23:30GMT - ok, so upon server restart I built a brand new sail shipyard, ignoring the old one entirely. Built a brig with 3x cabins, 3x steerage holds, 1x mail hold, assigned to 'north sea ferry' line. Click to make it leave the shipyard, server crashes.  This bug is really quite annoying. ??? Don't see how I can move forward if I can't build working depots.

Also don't understand why the existing 'south sea ferry' line's shipyard is fine and I can start new ships from there no issue.

Ves

asaphxiix

AP

Asaphxiix - I can't carry on playing this server until the bug with the depots causing an instant crash is resolved.

Please can I ask you report it, since I know you have the savegame that causes it? I'll happily chip in on the discussion about actions that trigger it, once there is a bug thread for it.

Hopefully it's something that can easily be replicated and then a fix rolled out for so I can carry on playing this server.

I assume it's only a matter of time before it causes someone else an issue on either this or the bridgewater server.

asaphxiix

Hi AP, you also have the same games on your local folder, so you can report it :) do u know where they are?

AP

Local copies of server games, no I didn't realise they were kept. Where are they hiding then?

asaphxiix

In the folder above the one where normal saves are stored, this will usually be somewhere under my documents

asaphxiix

Hello,

I have suspended the daily updating of the nightly version. Instead, the server will update only occasionally, with the path for the correct version published in the relevant places.

Asaph

asaphxiix

Hello AP,

The most recent save game can now always be found on http://ver.cant-whit.me:15600/server13353-network.sve

Now you can just provide this link when reporting your bug, no need to start copying files.

AP

Thanks Asaphxiix.

Annoyingly however I haven't been able to reproduce the issue today, either online or offline.

As soon as I can make it happen reliably I'll file a report.

AP

So after a day or so of good stable online play, no sign of shipyard crashes (and lots of use of shipyards), this morning, instant crash upon launching a ship. Still not reproducable offline.

I have a savegame from just after midnight this morning if you don't have anything more recent.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on December 17, 2017, 09:50:37 AM
So after a day or so of good stable online play, no sign of shipyard crashes (and lots of use of shipyards), this morning, instant crash upon launching a ship. Still not reproducable offline.

I have a savegame from just after midnight this morning if you don't have anything more recent.

Does it always crash on the server when launching any ship, or was it just that it crashed on that one occasion? Also, was there any sort of error message, did it just quit to desktop, or did it freeze?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on December 17, 2017, 12:50:06 PM
Does it always crash on the server when launching any ship, or was it just that it crashed on that one occasion? Also, was there any sort of error message, did it just quit to desktop, or did it freeze?
It freezes up without an error message. The server listing then duly goes from "online" to "offline". We've had other players online at the same time - it isn't just one player getting kicked out of the game.

Oddly in the same game  last week, I had one shipyard that wouldn't do it, and one which, a few moments later, did. I've delayed reporting it a couple of days hoping I could figure out the mechanics of it, but no such luck.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on December 17, 2017, 01:12:59 PM
It freezes up without an error message. The server listing then duly goes from "online" to "offline". We've had other players online at the same time - it isn't just one player getting kicked out of the game.

Oddly in the same game  last week, I had one shipyard that wouldn't do it, and one which, a few moments later, did. I've delayed reporting it a couple of days hoping I could figure out the mechanics of it, but no such luck.

Thank you for letting me know. This looks like an infinite loop. This may have been responsible for the most recent crash on the Bridgewater-Brunel saved game, too. I suspect that it is related to the particular schedule. If you or anyone else can reproduce this, I should be very grateful if this could be reported (in its own thread) so that I can fix the issue.

asaphxiix

Quote from: AP on December 17, 2017, 09:50:37 AM

Hi AP, can you specify, midnight of what timezone? The current save is from 2:30 am today France time, about 12 hours ago.

The server was now restarted with the latest nightly pak and executable.

AP

Mine was 00:21 GMT. Yours is newer.  Looks like we resolved the "stripping out the passwords" problem :-)

Quote from: asaphxiix link=topic=17594.msg168456#msg168456 date=1513517029
The server was now restarted with the latest nightly pak and executable.
Oh good, thank you, that resolves the inconsistency with Bridgewater server :-)

asaphxiix

Quote from: AP on December 17, 2017, 01:37:05 PM
Mine was 00:21 GMT. Yours is newer.  Looks like we resolved the "stripping out the passwords" problem :-)
Oh good, thank you, that resolves the inconsistency with Bridgewater server :-)

Only for now. Like I mentioned before, I have stopped updating regularly, so I still recommend that you save the relevant files on the side next to the brigewater nightly updates files.

I also remind that the relevant nightly files, as well as the most recent save game, can always be found on http://www.cant-whit.me:15600/

AP

Asaphxiix- James has rolled out a fix for the "crash on departing shipyard" bug, but this server is running a pre-fix executable (and crashed again earlier as such). Please might I ask you to update the game to the fixed version, when you get a chance ?  Thanks.

asaphxiix

I can do that, although I fear if I do it you might wake up tomorrow with all your ships empty. Are you sure you want that? As the main player there, you are currently the boss.

AP

Oh. I see.  Maybe wait until tomorrow,  I think they fixed that issue today. ;-)

I'm kind of inclined to sit back a bit and let Ves catch up,  so we're on an even footing again. I'm actually surprised more of the Bridgewater players haven't been on Canterbury as well... It's so much smoother.