News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Strange town growth

Started by zook2, December 05, 2017, 03:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zook2

edit: link removed

Probably just an oddity, but the small town of Rosevale began with/grew to 2384, then grew to 4638 in four months after starting the game. It looks funny, too. I've never built or done anything there. What can cause that kind of growth?

jamespetts

Towns grow based on the extent to which passenger, mail and goods demands are fulfilled. Passengers and mail can walk to their destinations, so can in some cases fulfil their own demand (to a limited extent) without player involvement, which can cause them to grow.

If you think that the rate of growth of a particular town is anomalous, this might be a bug; however, in order to have a reasonable chance of finding the bug, I will need a saved game in which an anomalous rate of town growth consistently occurs in a particular town after loading the saved game, as data in a saved game showing that a town has grown very greatly in the past does not by itself assist much in narrowing the location of the bug (if indeed there is one).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

zook2

Probably not a bug then. I've checked again and the town growth has stopped; it just created a few long, straight, parallel town roads that look a bit funny.

jamespetts

Quote from: zook2 on December 06, 2017, 12:24:04 AM
Probably not a bug then. I've checked again and the town growth has stopped; it just created a few long, straight, parallel town roads that look a bit funny.

We do get that sometimes; this is suboptimal design rather than a bug, per se. I do plan to improve town growth at some point, but that will be a very major project, and will have to wait until after some other very major projects that are even more important.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: jamespetts on December 05, 2017, 11:24:53 PM
If you think that the rate of growth of a particular town is anomalous, this might be a bug; however, in order to have a reasonable chance of finding the bug, I will need a saved game in which an anomalous rate of town growth consistently occurs in a particular town after loading the saved game, as data in a saved game showing that a town has grown very greatly in the past does not by itself assist much in narrowing the location of the bug (if indeed there is one).

isnt can be a bug... depend of the situation of the city... If the city was having a growth very slow and then the city duplicate his citizens can be posible, its the same than factories. One day i was playing simutrans and the game add 4 factories chains in 2 month but it didnt appear another factory chain for 22 years ago. So this things, i think that are irregulars growths of cities, factories, etc
The Argentian (Argentina Empire)