News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[ENDED GAME] Bridgewater-Brunel no. 1 - Great Britain sized map (no. 2)

Started by jamespetts, December 05, 2017, 09:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

The server has now been restarted with a fixed version. I will compile downloadable executables for the fixed version soon. Apologies for the difficulties.

Edit: The fixed versions are now available for download.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

Is this server paused or something because when I joined it was paused.

Ves

It is paused for a veeeeeeeeeeery long time when someone is joining the game, and that is a bug which James is looking into. When you join, you can go away for a coup of coffee or something else during the up to 5 minutes long pause ?

AP

My line around the south West most lake has been lost in the crash for the second time,  will rebuild it again tonight.Third time lucky, right?  :D

Quote from: Ves on December 18, 2017, 05:21:55 PM
It is paused for a veeeeeeeeeeery long time when someone is joining the game, and that is a bug which James is looking into. When you join, you can go away for a coup of coffee or something else during the up to 5 minutes long pause ?

Or just load up the Canterbury server alongside and play that in the downtime!

AP

Just had an interesting couple of instances of getting kicked from the game, when being bombarded with "unable to find route" error messages from unhappy convoys. Is this known behaviour?

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on December 18, 2017, 07:52:35 PM
Just had an interesting couple of instances of getting kicked from the game, when being bombarded with "unable to find route" error messages from unhappy convoys. Is this known behaviour?

Not to me - it would be helpful to have more details of this in a separate thread.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

I got kicked as well now and gets kicked almost instantly when joining.

There is a too low bridge spanning above the "Grand Union Canal" at (852,3211) and the ships need high clearance below the bridges.

Ves

Wow, a heck of alot of my stage coaches has been sent to depot due to out of range and cannot find route! Has the pakset been updated with lower range for the horses?

James, if you do alter any info that will increase restriction of something, perhaps a note in here, so we can go and prepare ourself  :)

edit:
I get a desync almost immediatedly when the game unpauses after attempt to join, twice now..

edit2:
I have tried now three times, and I desync directly. Can others join the game?

jamespetts

Yes, the pakset has been updated: the hackney horses now have a 20km range rather than 30km; I did announce this in the in-game chat.

The server problems appears to be connected to the heap corruption bug that I am currently looking into.

Ves

Aha, ok I didnt see it in the chat, firstly due to me getting kicked out instantly and second for all the 200+ messages about the horses!
I did, however, get to modify some of the schedules to get them back to service.
Did you take the game down to offline?

jamespetts

I have pushed a possible fix for the heap corruption issue, which will be included in the next nightly build. This issue is difficult to reproduce reliably, so I am not sure whether or not this is a fix, but tests on my local computer have been promising so far.

DrSuperGood

QuoteI have tried now three times, and I desync directly. Can others join the game?
I got in fine. Possibly UI related as I only play as a company which did not get spammed by horse messages.

Edit: Actually it desynced me on connect as well, but only the first time.

Ves

And I was in, getting thrown out  :P
I have been in there long enough for me to organize all my lines which where in trouble, so I can stay online. But not together with others apperently?

jamespetts

The problem is the heap corruption error, which I have made some progress in diagnosing (I think that I have found the place in the code where this occurs, but not yet why or how it occurs), but it is very difficult at present to understand what is happening. Any help in that regard would be much appreciated.

AP

Can anyone tell me why my ships on the line "Inland Sea Ferry" are departing their stops mostly empty in spite of loads of passengers waiting?

I thought at first I had insufficient ships, so added more, but it is now evident that wasn't the problem.

I concur about announcements being better done in this thread, not just in the in-game chat, if that is possible please. I missed the thing about the horses as well.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on December 22, 2017, 06:52:07 PM
Can anyone tell me why my ships on the line "Inland Sea Ferry" are departing their stops mostly empty in spite of loads of passengers waiting?

Can the waiting passengers afford your ships, and are your ships the fastest way of them getting to their destination/next transfer?

AP

How would I tell if they couldn't afford the ships?

Would passengers be starting to travel,  be waiting at my stops, if they couldn't afford the journey? Or if my route wasn't the optimum for them?

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on December 22, 2017, 07:35:04 PM
How would I tell if they couldn't afford the ships?

You can see the wealth of passengers by checking the "wealth" display from the drop down list of sort options on a stop. If that wealth is lower than the lowest class that you have set on your ships, they will not be able to board.

Would passengers be starting to travel,  be waiting at my stops, if they couldn't afford the journey? Or if my route wasn't the optimum for them?

Not if they could not afford any route to their destination from that point, but I do not know whether different ships have different prices set, or whether there are multiple different routes from that stop to the destination, some of which are more optimal than others.

AP

In my case,  no other routes are available from the stop. I'll have to check the wealth thing in game.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on December 22, 2017, 09:40:56 PM
In my case,  no other routes are available from the stop. I'll have to check the wealth thing in game.

If what you are seeing appears not to be correct, I should be grateful if you could post a full bug report in its own thread on the proper subform, uploading a copy of the game at the time when this occurs (as I will not be able to investigate logic bugs until January), as I only check the correct subforum when working on fixing bugs, and not other threads.

DrSuperGood

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 25, 2017, 07:06:28 AM
Server seems to have crashed.

It is back now - I am not sure quite what went wrong other than it seems to have got stuck in a loop (circa 58% CPU usage).

fam621

Good to hear because I am actually in the server now and also can you (James) come on so I can make a company please?

jamespetts

Quote from: fam621 on December 25, 2017, 02:25:13 PM
Good to hear because I am actually in the server now and also can you (James) come on so I can make a company please?

I do not understand - why do I need to be onlne in order for you to play? Also, do you not already have a company?

AP

Merry Christmas everyone.  Hope to be back online in a few days' time.

fam621

That company was orignally the observer also its fine now

asaphxiix

Hello,

Tonight, my password doesn't work for my company (Peninsular Transport). Any idea why? When I type in the password and press enter, the windowlet doesn't close and nothing happens. Is it possible for the password to be reset individually, somehow?

Thanks

EDIT: Since I also can't chat or start a new company, it is safe to assume that the server must be in some sort of read-only mode.

DrSuperGood

Logging that the server is showing signs of extremely low performance, eg 1 frame every minute and 3 minutes to prepare game for transfer. This is ~5 AM UK time, the time this post was made.

Edit also server did not roll over to new nightly for some reason.

jamespetts

Odd - the nightly build script seems not to have run, or at least run properly, as when I ran it manually now, it downloaded afresh some changes that I had made to the code yesterday evening. However, 5 AM is approximately the time of the nightly build being run, so I am not quite sure what happened.

Rollmaterial

It looks like the server isn't up to date. I have started downloading the pakset sources for what I assume to be the previous nightly (5b3176b). Will the server be updated within the next hour?

jamespetts

There was a problem last night (the cause or nature of which is not clear at present) that prevented the nightly scripts running. I ran them manually earlier, but there has been somebody playing on the server for a long time to-day, and I did not want to interrupt him to restart the server manually.

However, I do not think that you will desync if you force connect (go to the load game window, type net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk and press return), as the changes made since yesterday should not affect the game running in the current era.

Edit: I have now restarted the server with the latest version.

Rollmaterial

I get an instant desync. Should I try with clean configuration files?

jamespetts

I am able to remain connected, and another player is also connected stably at present. Configuration files should not by themselves affect things, as the settings are stored with the saved game. However, do make sure that you are using the default pakset downloaded from the server, and not your own version.

Rollmaterial

I have a full match.

EDIT: I managed to connect with clean config files.