News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[ENDED GAME] Bridgewater-Brunel no. 1 - Great Britain sized map (no. 2)

Started by jamespetts, December 05, 2017, 09:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

No problem, I will begin testing in ~5 hours when the nightly rolls over.

Will change back one of my lines to using choose signals. Will also start a new line with choose signals. Will also observe the trouble spots where trains currently run too slowly.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

Server crashed when I tried to place a new signalbox at location (327,842). So it needs restart...  :)

edit:

The game is up and running again!  :)

DrSuperGood

Pushed a commit for pakset revision up to 1850.

The future trains will cost considerably more to run than currently. This is because trains are excessively profitable at the moment, with just 5 passenger lines of my company on the server generating more profit than all other companies combined. They will still be cheap enough to make good profit from, but no longer as good as free.

For how the numbers were derived...
Due to a lack of overhaul/maintenance feature, I have factored in the cost of the trains into their monthly and running costs. Every ~1,600,000km one will effectively buy the train again. Every 1200months (100 years) one will also effectively buy the train again.

Fuel economics is currently at 0.01 per kW per km. Trains have an efficiency divisor of 0.5, with tanks 0.6 and inefficient trains 0.4. I am aware this probably is kind of nonsense, however without an actual fuel efficiency model it is likely good enough.

Each person is paid 10 per month. With trains using either 3, 5 or 7 people at the moment depending on size and power. Obviously this would be replaced by an employment system eventually.

So a 80kw train will now cost ~1-2 per km and ~70 per month. Before they had numbers like 0.2 per km and 6 per month.

DrSuperGood

Same error/crash as before...

Error:
7koord3d index out of bounds: 111 not in 0...110.

Ves

I think it was me who crashed it. It happened the moment I reassigned a train to another line.

Worth noticing:

The train was part of a schedule which demonstrated the "ignore choose signal" bug. I had already tried manipulating the schedule to see if I could solve it that way, I had rebuilt the signals but to no luck. So I figured I would solve it by creating a new line, reassigning all convoys to the new line. It worked fine for 8 out of 10 convoys, the two rest being held for departure, hence their schedule could not be modified. To circumnavigate that I pressed the "go to depot" button to make it go to the depot. After the 5 minute reversing session, I opened the schedule of the first train and attempted to reassign it to the new schedule, but upon closing the schedule window, the server crashed.

jamespetts

I am having trouble reproducing this: I am circa 30 minutes into May 1845, and this crash has not recurred (on my local machine using the saved game from the server). Is this crash recurrent on the server?

Thanks to Dr. Supergood, incidentally, for the provisional balancing work: it is much appreciated.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

Nope, it didnt happen again, server is happily running.

I forgot to mention that the depot was part of the old schedule because I had already pressed "send to depot".

jamespetts

It will not be possible for me to find and fix this bug unless I have a means of reproducing it reliably. If anyone is able to find such a means, I should be grateful if that person could upload the saved game in which it can reliably be reproduced and open a new thread with a bug report.

DrSuperGood

Server randomly crashed. The synchronization model meant the client never reached that state so I am not sure of the error or if the client would even have crashed.

I also had recently messed around with a time interval choose signal repeatedly deleting and replacing it. However the crash occurred several minutes after.

jamespetts

The server seems to be back online now. I am afraid that I have no way of fixing a crash that I cannot reproduce reliably.

Rollmaterial

The server now reliably crashes with an Out of bounds error shortly after connecting.

Ves

Crashes for me too, just like rollmaterial describes. Connect, wait a few minutes and then crash.

Speedbus

Same behavior with today's new exe file (#a529a46).

jamespetts

Apologies for the trouble: I have now restarted the server with a version which should fix the crash. I should be grateful if anyone could confirm whether this helps or not.

Rollmaterial

We can now announce the first railway running powers agreement! The Crandon and Lakes Railway now serves Ves Transport Agency's Netstoke Southern Harbour with an hourly service to Green Lewisby and Selford Gay.

jamespetts

Ves

Appears to work fine too! Although, you have one train currently at the station that cannot find a route!
How did you get that player color view?

Rollmaterial

DrSuperGood

How can you people manage with hourly services... People in the East seem to want quarter hourly services! If the trains would start on time...

nuhgl

Today, Bay Transport has completed very first phase of The Bay Mainline.
Which has costed Bay Transport its entire capital and its credit.  :-X

But very hopeful that the new line will bring heaps new passenger into Bridgewater transport system.

Ves Transport Agency, with its awesome engineering work quickly has created two connecting junction at the eastern side of the bay region.
Cradon and Lakes Railway, also join junction at the region.

nuhgl

What departure per month values do you use?

I personally start from 8 then doubling it to 16/32/64 maybe 128.
Cradon and Lakes Railway, seems to use 6.

It would be nice to have coop unified value to perhaps plan better and fine tune running coop schedules.
Or perhaps there is already certain value as "standard"? like 6?

DrSuperGood

QuoteWhat departure per month values do you use?
I usually use whatever many slots I can get reliably for the number of trains I have servicing a line. This takes ~6 game months to get right...

With timed interval signals I would recommend at most 1 train every 15 minutes. 1 every 30 minutes might be better for more reliable high speed and allows the option of multiplexing with another line, eg mail, reasonably successfully. The maximum throughput is 1 every 5 minutes but that forces everything to always run at half speed and if an emergency stop occurs there will likely be massive delays.

With absolute block signalling one can schedule as fast as one likes, limited only by block size and the speed of the trains.

Ves

I usually use 12 or 6, but also 16 and 24, which both (almost) gives round numbers. Otherwise, I tend to look at the actual minutes instead of the dividends and, as with drsupergood, tend to run the services as close to the 10 minute mark as possible, but with around 5 minutes as a margin.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Just a quick note - the rail company local to the Panama City, FL area is "The Bay Line". It runs something like 100km north to Dothan, AL. Not a very large company, but it's our only one. :)

DrSuperGood

I have put forward a merge request for balance changes up to 1860.

On top of trains and traction engines, the changes also retrospectively cover all the early sail ship types. Specifically sail ships now have a significant monthly fixed cost representing salaries for either 20 or 30 crew. I could not find sources of the actual crew count unfortunately so these are rough and probably ignorant guesses. On the other hand sail ships have a much lower per km cost, after all wind is free!

Next update I will try and go through and add fixed costs to break wagons. The reason some coaches have a variant with breaks that appear superiour in all aspects to variants without breaks is because they are meant to have higher fixed costs. Each wagon with breaks required a permanent guard to man it, where as coaches without breaks did not.

This changed with the introduction of continious breaks (around 1860-1870 they will show up) since breaks could then be applied from the locomotive by the driver without the need of a guard. Break vans still had guards, but they were only needed for emergencies and shunting purposes. For example a train with 17 coaches might have only had 2 break vans but thanks to continuous breaking most of the coaches had breaks the driver could use. This was critical in reducing the breaking distance at high speeds to reasonable levels for safe and efficient rail operation. All modern passenger trains should be using continuous breaking of sorts, of the sort to fail with the breaks stuck on for additional safety.

nuhgl

Bay Transport has been liquidated  :-[

Board of Trade (admin), could you please give new chance to begin?
Ves, if above is allowed. I could only run frequent services between

1) Canal Mouth -  St, Martin - Ves Bugleigh Railway Station
2) Canal Mouth -  St, Martin - Fenny Bicken - Lewiston - Ves Shrewport

jamespetts

Dr. Supergood - thank you for that: that is most helpful. I will incorporate that when I get home.

Nuhgl - what will happen is, after a year or two, the company will be finally liquidated, leaving a slot free. You can then start a new company, with fresh starting capital, in that slot. You might also be able to take over one of the other unlocked companies sooner (especially one of the ones that has very little infrastructure so that you are more or less starting afresh).

nuhgl

Quote from: jamespetts on April 24, 2018, 12:24:20 PM
Dr. Supergood - thank you for that: that is most helpful. I will incorporate that when I get home.

Nuhgl - what will happen is, after a year or two, the company will be finally liquidated, leaving a slot free. You can then start a new company, with fresh starting capital, in that slot. You might also be able to take over one of the other unlocked companies sooner (especially one of the ones that has very little infrastructure so that you are more or less starting afresh).

Aha! I see.
I just took over Mercia Transport which had a million money and no operation. And now company has new name "Bay Connex".
Bay Connex will de-mothball all railways Bay Transport had, and start operation.

jamespetts

Dr. Supergood - changes now incorporated: thank you.

nuhgl

DrSuperGood

Did you update to todays nightly? If you have Java 9 or 10 there is an automated update tool I wrote which can help you do that with a minimal download. Usual update size using the Java updater is <30MB every day and just a button press.

I can confirm the server is working as intended and I can connect to it with todays nightly.

Rollmaterial

nuhgl

Quote from: Rollmaterial on April 26, 2018, 07:36:13 PM
The server is stuck on an out of bounds crash.

I am also trying to connect to server and I get Server did not respond.