The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Bridgewater-Brunel no. 1 - Great Britain sized map (no. 2)  (Read 52665 times)

DrSuperGood and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online DrSuperGood

• Dev Team
  • Devotee
  • Languages: EN
Re: Bridgewater-Brunel no. 1 - Great Britain sized map (no. 2)
« Reply #315 on: September 14, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »
I am getting tired of losing work on this server... For every 1 hour of actual work I put in I end up having to spend 3 hours due to redoing stuff multiple times! Sigh...

This time I cannot even provide a save with all the work. It appears that you got a save made slightly before the last one I have. Which would mean the save that was corrupted is the one I have (which had only very little work done by then, easy to redo) and the server did not save after I spent some time on it.

Offline jamespetts gb

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Devotee
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #316 on: September 14, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »
I am sorry that there are difficulties: without being able to reproduce the error reliably, it is extremely difficult to track down what they are. It is not at all clear to me why the saved games are so regularly becoming corrupted. I am grateful for your work in relation to the memory leak investigation, which I will look into when I get some time.

Offline Rollmaterial fi

• Devotee
  • Languages: EN, FR, DE, FI, SE
« Reply #317 on: September 14, 2018, 06:18:19 PM »
If it can be of any help I have a save from last night which I at least have managed to load correctly: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19BqNZ24I_2BdHs_FQeFNUGMb9492oZbe/view?usp=sharing

Online DrSuperGood

• Dev Team
  • Devotee
« Reply #318 on: September 15, 2018, 01:25:26 AM »
Unfortunately it is too late by now for that. I redid most of my work on the server and many other players spent hours on it.

Offline jamespetts gb

• Devotee
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #319 on: September 15, 2018, 05:34:26 PM »
Thanks to some very helpful diagnostic work from Dr. Supergood, I have now pushed two memory leak fixes and confirmed that at least most of the crashes are caused by running out of memory.

It will be very instructive to observe whether these issues are resolved after to-morrow's nightly build.

Offline SuperTimo

• Languages: English, French
« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »
As someone from Somerset I am struggling to type the name 'Bridgewater' with the 'e' when querying the server. James can you please go back in time to the 18th century and convince the duke to change the spelling of his name to 'Bridgwater'?

Thanks in advance.

(Also Bay Transportation Group's new Class A4s are too long for some of the stops on their route so everything has ground to a halt on those lines.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:14:22 AM by SuperTimo »

Offline jamespetts gb

• Devotee
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #321 on: September 16, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »
If you could send me a time machine by post, I should happily oblige.

Online DrSuperGood

• Dev Team
  • Devotee
« Reply #322 on: September 16, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »
Could be worse... The server might be named "42726964676577617465722d4272756e656c". Now that would be hard to type!

If you are on Windows you can copy and paste the details from this thread. This is what I do when joining.

Also the extended server listing server being down is temporary. It will eventually be restored. Such is the nature of lower use base opensource "free" projects.

Offline prissi

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Languages: De,EN,JP
« Reply #323 on: Yesterday at 12:46:09 PM »
Also SDL2 on linux could copy and paste ... at least this was added recently to stadard, file "clipboard_s2.cc"

Offline SuperTimo

• Languages: English, French
« Reply #324 on: Yesterday at 11:34:33 PM »
I think I will go bankrupt soon as I accidentally built a 22km long tunnel which has put me about £3million over my credit limit. I am not sure how this is possible as I didn't have the money for this, and I was pretty certain I was holding ctrl. Also the chances of this must have been so slim as there had to be another double height slope at the same height exactly inline!

Is it possible to get some help with this debt. I don't think railway companies in the 1930s inadvertently built > 20km long tunnels. Here is a pic of the impact on my budget:

« Last Edit: Today at 12:39:31 AM by SuperTimo »

Offline ACarlotti

« Reply #325 on: Today at 12:15:14 AM »
Unfortunately not all capital expenditure is checked against the credit limit - in fact coverage is pretty patchy. This ought to be improved.

Another feature that could be useful is if expensive purchases (above a threshold of perhaps 5% of wealth or some absolute value) were subject to an explicit confirmation dialogue to avoid accidentally spending large amounts of money (which would off further protection in the event that you the expensive purchase didn't exceed your credit limit).

Online DrSuperGood

• Dev Team
  • Devotee
« Reply #326 on: Today at 01:17:42 AM »
If you go bankrupt you can always join my company. Doubt there is a mistake big enough that can spend 500M in one go!

It seems the UI is slightly unrepsonsive due to the low frame rate the game works at. You might have pressed ctrl too soon before mouse release or released ctrl too soon after mouse release.