News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

big ships still a bit strange

Started by asaphxiix, December 08, 2017, 06:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

Does it make sense that large sail ships (such as brigs, etc.) would be excessively profitable, or, for the sake of further balance in the future, profitable/feasable at all, when making trips of, say, less than 15 km?

I've only known such large ships to be ocean liners, is it indeed the case that they were once used to travel between two ends of the same bay?

jamespetts

In reality, ships such as these would have a large crew. Once costs are balanced, this will be taken into account in the fixed cost. They should also have a much longer loading time than the smaller ships (do they not already)? That combined with the higher fixed cost will, if things be calibrated properly, make them unprofitable for short runs compared with smaller vessels such as the Humber keel.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

Great!

And yes they do indeed have long loading time, but with costs so low, it's still very profitable.

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you for confirming. As I have noted elsewhere, the balancing of costs is my priority for next year (starting with some additional features necessary to make cost balancing possible).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.